What's new

RT-AC88U - Wired Port hangs & weird wireless issues....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pawhe955

New Around Here
Just into 5th year of owning an RT-AC88U - can't recall exactly when this all started (e.g. what firmware revision - and probably presumed it was "just a glitch" at first, so ignored it to some degree), but for the last year or so, have a recurring issue of devices plugged directly into the Ethernet ports suddenly going offline; then at the last (official Asus) firmware upgrade (I believe from 3.0.0.4.385_20630 to 3.0.0.4.386_41700, with a factory default) even more things went wrong - gui was hanging after upgrade; WAN would initially connect then just hang; and then having got it working and stable to some degree, some Wireless devices went really weird - I couldn't get a response from them if I pinged them from another device on the LAN (wired or wireless), but they could connect out to the Internet (e.g. a Wireless Raspberry Pi running PiAware was checking into FlightAware ok, but I couldn't get to it from within my own network...!). (and Router's DHCP table showed that the static IP's I'd set had been offered/taken by the end devices - and the router could also ping the wireless devices, even if another LAN device couldn't)
So I eventually decided to give Merlin Firmware a go. Went to RT-AC88U_386.1_0 initially. Upgrade went smooth (with a factory default) and Wireless issue seemed to be resolved. Would need to wait to see if "Wired Device Issue" reappeared....
All good for a couple of weeks - then suddenly - 2 Wired Devices not available via my remote access software - and once back at home, not even contactable from an adjacent wired PC. Also noticed that the weird Wireless issue was back - having purchased a new Wireless IP Camera, found I couldn't ping either the (Wireless) IP Camera or the (Wireless) Raspberry Pi from a wired PC, even though both were making outgoing connections ok..... Powered the router off/on, all back working - so scheduled a weekly reboot.
(At some point, also went to Merlin RT-AC88U_386.1_2)
Then this week - 5 days after the regular scheduled (soft) reboot - lose contact as above, again. Tried a soft "reboot" from GUI - 2 x Wired devices still offline, and 2 x Wireless can't be pinged. Did a full power off/on and all working again.
So - I could post this in the Merlin forum (as that's the current firmware I'm running), but the issues I'm facing appear to be common between the official Asus firmware and the Merlin - so presumably down to my specific hardware, or some of the proprietary Asus code.... but it's weird that both Wired and Wireless exhibit strange (connectivity) behaviour at the same time...
Just wondered whether anyone else has seen these types of (very weird) issues (couldn't find any exactly similar posts here)....? If not, guess it may be my (old-ish?) hardware - maybe time to move on to something else...??

Last edited:
Just into 5th year of owning an RT-AC88U - can't recall exactly when this all started (e.g. what firmware revision - and probably presumed it was "just a glitch" at first, so ignored it to some degree), but for the last year or so, have a recurring issue of devices plugged directly into the Ethernet ports suddenly going offline; then at the last (official Asus) firmware upgrade (I believe from 3.0.0.4.385_20630 to 3.0.0.4.386_41700, with a factory default) even more things went wrong - gui was hanging after upgrade; WAN would initially connect then just hang; and then having got it working and stable to some degree, some Wireless devices went really weird - I couldn't get a response from them if I pinged them from another device on the LAN (wired or wireless), but they could connect out to the Internet (e.g. a Wireless Raspberry Pi running PiAware was checking into FlightAware ok, but I couldn't get to it from within my own network...!). (and Router's DHCP table showed that the static IP's I'd set had been offered/taken by the end devices - and the router could also ping the wireless devices, even if another LAN device couldn't)
So I eventually decided to give Merlin Firmware a go. Went to RT-AC88U_386.1_0 initially. Upgrade went smooth (with a factory default) and Wireless issue seemed to be resolved. Would need to wait to see if "Wired Device Issue" reappeared....
All good for a couple of weeks - then suddenly - 2 Wired Devices not available via my remote access software - and once back at home, not even contactable from an adjacent wired PC. Also noticed that the weird Wireless issue was back - having purchased a new Wireless IP Camera, found I couldn't ping either the (Wireless) IP Camera or the (Wireless) Raspberry Pi from a wired PC, even though both were making outgoing connections ok..... Powered the router off/on, all back working - so scheduled a weekly reboot.
(At some point, also went to Merlin RT-AC88U_386.1_2)
Then this week - 5 days after the regular scheduled (soft) reboot - lose contact as above, again. Tried a soft "reboot" from GUI - 2 x Wired devices still offline, and 2 x Wireless can't be pinged. Did a full power off/on and all working again.
So - I could post this in the Merlin forum (as that's the current firmware I'm running), but the issues I'm facing appear to be common between the official Asus firmware and the Merlin - so presumably down to my specific hardware, or some of the proprietary Asus code.... but it's weird that both Wired and Wireless exhibit strange (connectivity) behaviour at the same time...
Just wondered whether anyone else has seen these types of (very weird) issues (couldn't find any exactly similar posts here)....? If not, guess it may be my (old-ish?) hardware - maybe time to move on to something else...??

LAN ports are known to die on that model.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!