What's new

RT-AX55 connection to a VPN server hosted in the USA.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

killa325

Occasional Visitor
Hello I want to buy this router to connect it to a VPN server hosted in USA but I don't know if it will work. I am from Costa Rica and I want to configure this router to a USA VPN so that all devices appear to be in the USA, is that possible with the ASUS RT-AX55 AX-1800 router?

I would appreciate any informative comments. thank you all good day.

Welcome to the forums @killa325.

While you can use this in the intended use case, the more critical questions are: What do you want to do with that VPN connection and what are your current ISP speeds (up/down, and connection type too)?

Depending on the bandwidth needed for your uses, this router and/or your ISP combination won't give you the final results you're looking for.

Thank you very much for the quick response I appreciate your time..

I'm going to start working with a US company and I only need like 20 mb/s with the VPN already configured. I currently have (100mb/s down and 60 or less upload). The connection I plan to make with this router is bridge type with my current router. So if it is possible to connect the VPN with this router.
Welcome to the forums @killa325.

While you can use this in the intended use case, the more critical questions are: What do you want to do with that VPN connection and what are your current ISP speeds (up/down, and connection type too)?

Depending on the bandwidth needed for your uses, this router and/or your ISP combination won't give you the final results you're looking for.

Thank you very much for the quick response I appreciate your time..

I'm going to start working with a US company and I only need like 20 mb/s with the VPN already configured. I currently have (100mb/s down and 60 or less upload). The connection I plan to make with this router is bridge type with my current router. So if it is possible to connect the VPN with this router.
And yes, I have permission to work there. The company gave me time until the end of the month to get the router. And I need it to access certain sites that the company only allows in the USA.

Technically, it will be sufficient for your requirements then. Focusing only on the VPN requirements you state.

However, I cannot recommend this low-end router to anyone in 2023.

The 1.5GHz quad-core CPU is underpowered, the 256GB RAM is under-spec'd, and worst of all, the 2x2:2 radios for both bands are not worthy of purchase today (and expect to keep this for even a few years).

What may be a better buy (if long-term ownership is important), is the RT-AX68U, or the RT-AX86U (and for your specific use, possibly also consider the 's' version of that router, if it is discounted greatly). All of these options offer more RAM, better radios (4x4:4, at least on the 5GHz band), and much better CPU/SoCs and RF design.

If you're going to use this router, wired only, it may be enough. But the stability, reliability, and performance will always be wanting vs. the models suggested above.

Hope this helps.

Technically, it will be sufficient for your requirements then. Focusing only on the VPN requirements you state.

However, I cannot recommend this low-end router to anyone in 2023.

The 1.5GHz quad-core CPU is underpowered, the 256GB RAM is under-spec'd, and worst of all, the 2x2:2 radios for both bands are not worthy of purchase today (and expect to keep this for even a few years).

What may be a better buy (if long-term ownership is important), is the RT-AX68U, or the RT-AX86U (and for your specific use, possibly also consider the 's' version of that router, if it is discounted greatly). All of these options offer more RAM, better radios (4x4:4, at least on the 5GHz band), and much better CPU/SoCs and RF design.

If you're going to use this router, wired only, it may be enough. But the stability, reliability, and performance will always be wanting vs. the models suggested above.

Hope this helps.
Thank you!!

Yes,
Thank you for your recommendations. The problem is that here in my country they don't sell those models. The models they sell are the following:
ASUS RT-AC68U - AC1900
ASUS RT-AC66U AC1750
ASUS RT-AX55 AX-1800

Which of these would you recommend? Remember it is only for VPN to a US server and I need only 20 mb/s.

I appreciate your response. This issue has been quite complicated for me.

Only AX models are worth considering today. I feel bad for the poor choices you have.

Don't even look at any AC class routers (particularly those).

Only AX models are worth considering today. I feel bad for the poor choices you have.

Don't even look at any AC class routers (particularly those).
Ok I will buy the ax-55 this weekend and gonna set up the VPN.

Thanks man I really appreciate that.

If RT-AC86U/RT-AC2900/GT-AC2900 is available in their country, it may be a better choice than AX55, because that is at least ARMv8 with hardware acceleration.

;)
I just found a store that sells this router: Asus RT-AC86U AC2900 Wi Fi Dual Band Gigabit Gaming Router. Is this better than the AX-55?

I just found a store that sells this router: Asus RT-AC86U AC2900 Wi Fi Dual Band Gigabit Gaming Router. Is this better than the AX-55?
If you're after VPN performance, then if you don't have any other AX routers in there, it will provide the best VPN performance you can get, around 200Mbps/s.

Because it is a next-generation CPU with AES hardware acceleration.

But it also suffered from poor thermal design that left the hardware vulnerable to premature aging and hard-to-fix bugs in the firmware.

Last edited:
If you're after VPN performance, then if you don't have any other AX routers in there, it will provide the best VPN performance you can get, around 200Mbps/s.

Because it is a next-generation CPU with AES hardware acceleration.

But it also suffered from poor thermal design that left the hardware vulnerable to premature aging and hard-to-fix bugs in the firmware.
Oh ok but wait I don't need that speed, I really just need like 20mb/s with the VPN. I don't want to buy something with a lot of power because I'm not really going to need a lot of power. I really just want something that will allow me to connect the VPN and show up in the USA and have stable speed. I don't really need a lot of speed.

Oh ok but wait I don't need that speed, I really just need like 20mb/s with the VPN. I don't want to buy something with a lot of power because I'm not really going to need a lot of power. I really just want something that will allow me to connect the VPN and show up in the USA and have stable speed. I don't really need a lot of speed.
So, if you plan to use a router to get the best VPN performance under warranty, I would recommend the RT-AC86U, and if you just want to keep a modern router after work, maybe the AX55 is a better choice.

Besides, you only need a 20Mbps connection don't you? The AX55 can achieve speeds of around 40-50Mbps, which is more than enough for your current needs.

Oh ok but wait I don't need that speed, I really just need like 20mb/s with the VPN. I don't want to buy something with a lot of power because I'm not really going to need a lot of power.

So, if you plan to use a router to get the best VPN performance under warranty, I would recommend the RT-AC86U, and if you just want to keep a modern router after work, maybe the AX55 is a better choice.

Besides, you only need a 20Mbps connection don't you? The AX55 can achieve speeds of around 40-50Mbps, which is more than enough for your current needs.
Perfect Yota

Thank you both for all the information. I really appreciate the help I will do the setup over the weekend. I hope everything goes well.

Also, I would recommend always buying a Merlin supported router, especially in your case, since Merlin supported routers have a lot of redevelopment of the VPN, including the fact that you can designate a certain device to use the VPN and not all devices connected to that router use VPN, which is not possible on official firmware like AX55.

RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U V1 are close to AX55 in price and performance and supported by Merlin:

If you can only get the AX55, I would recommend checking the settings page of the official firmware to see the actual features before spending.

This is an example of a high-end model, but the VPN part should be consistent.

Other features may not appear on the AX55.

Also, I would recommend always buying a Merlin supported router, especially in your case, since Merlin supported routers have a lot of redevelopment of the VPN, including the fact that you can designate a certain device to use the VPN and not all devices connected to that router use VPN, which is not possible on official firmware like AX55.

RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U V1 are close to AX55 in price and performance and supported by Merlin:

If you can only get the AX55, I would recommend checking the settings page of the official firmware to see the actual features before spending.

This is an example of a high-end model, but the VPN part should be consistent.

Other features may not appear on the AX55.
I just found this router in a store in my country. Asus Rt-ax56u Wi-fi 6 Router. Is this one better?
1675799283217.png

1675799303524.png

I just found this router in a store in my country. Asus Rt-ax56u Wi-fi 6 Router. Is this one better?View attachment 47737

View attachment 47738
The hardware specification of RT-AC56U is almost the same as that of RT-AX55, the maximum VPN speed is only 50Mbps/s, the difference is double the RAM (512MB) and it is supported by Merlin firmware, the latter is more important for your case in my opinion, because you mainly use its VPN function.

The official firmware's OpenVPN feature lacks much customization, including traffic redirection based on client or destination IP.

Keep looking, maybe you'll find the RT-AX86U or RT-AX68U in the store, they are better routers with Merlin support, powerful radios and AES hardware acceleration, But probably over your budget lol.

If not, then the AX56U is a better choice than the AX55.

Last edited:
The hardware specification of RT-AC56U is almost the same as that of RT-AX55, the maximum VPN speed is only 50Mbps/s, the difference is double the RAM (512MB) and it is supported by Merlin firmware, the latter is more important for your case in my opinion, because you mainly use its VPN function.

The official firmware's OpenVPN feature lacks much customization, including traffic redirection based on client or destination IP.

Keep looking, maybe you'll find the RT-AX86U or RT-AX68U in the store, they are better routers with Merlin support, powerful radios and AES hardware acceleration, But probably over your budget lol.

If not, then the AX56U is a better choice than the AX55.
Alright, thank you!!

Yes, I looked for the RT-AX86U or RT-AX68U router and they don't sell them :(

Last edited:
Alright, thank you!!

Yes, I looked for the RT-AX86U or RT-AX68U router and they don't sell them :(

So if I have to choose between RX-55 and RT-AX56u which one is better?
Their hardware specs are pretty much the same, the only difference is better software (with support from Merlin), if the price is similar, I would suggest the RT-AX56U, and I would recommend that you install Merlin firmware to enhance its router functionality.

Their hardware specs are pretty much the same, the only difference is better software (with support from Merlin), if the price is similar, I would suggest the RT-AX56U, and I would recommend that you install Merlin firmware to enhance its router functionality.
Ok and last question. Does this router have different versions or not?
I don't want to buy the router and find out that the version I bought doesn't work or something.

Again thank you for all the advices