What's new

RT-AX55 not running on UPS anymore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kashif Tasneem

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone. I have RT-AX55 setup as AI Mesh node running on a UPS for over 2 years. It has performed flawlessly and switched to UPS on electricity outage without any problem.

But for last one week it’s getting switched off when outage occurs.

What could be the reason that it is happening now?

The UPS is faulty?

Hi everyone. I have RT-AX55 setup as AI Mesh node running on a UPS for over 2 years. It has performed flawlessly and switched to UPS on electricity outage without any problem.

Or the UPS battery is dead? Have you run a self-test on the UPS?

Sounds like the UPS isn't switching over fast enough (maybe the batteries need replacing). I'm assuming the UPS is supplying mains AC to the router's power adapter, so maybe the power adapter has become "weak" (e.g. capacitors not holding enough charge).

Disconnect everything from the router except the UPS and then disconnect the UPS from its AC power supply... does the router shut down? Reconnect the UPS to its AC power supply... does the router boot up?

OE

UPS batteries tend to have an average life expectancy of around 3 years. Test the UPS battery.

Also make sure the router is plugged in a Battery+Protection outlet, not just a Protection outlet (many UPS have both types of outlets).

Sounds like the UPS isn't switching over fast enough (maybe the batteries need replacing). I'm assuming the UPS is supplying mains AC to the router's power adapter, so maybe the power adapter has become "weak" (e.g. capacitors not holding enough charge).
Power adapter could be the reason.

At this point, if flashing the latest firmware on the router (even if it already has the latest firmware) and then doing a full reset (followed by a minimal and manual configuration, without using any saved backup config files) doesn't fix the issue, then it may be hardware or power adaptor issues.

UPS batteries tend to have an average life expectancy of around 3 years. Test the UPS battery.

Also make sure the router is plugged in a Battery+Protection outlet, not just a Protection outlet (many UPS have both types of outlets).

Batteries are about 6 months old. Second UPS on which I tested has AX-11000 connected to it and it does not turn off on outage.

At this point, if flashing the latest firmware on the router (even if it already has the latest firmware) and then doing a full reset (followed by a minimal and manual configuration, without using any saved backup config files) doesn't fix the issue, then it may be hardware or power adaptor issues.

Will try. Thank you.

So, the problem was in the power adapter. I had an old AC-1200 lying around. I connected the router with it’s adapter and router is now switching on UPS without any problem.

So, the problem was in the power adapter. I had an old AC-1200 lying around. I connected the router with it’s adapter and router is now switching on UPS without any problem.
Odd, but not unheard of. I had a similar issue with my Quotom mini PC that would crash half of the time whenever the UPS switched to battery power, while the rest of my equipment (including the router) were fine. I guess lower-quality power supplies either lack proper capacitors to deal with the switch to battery power, or they have issues with the square wave generated by most of these UPS.

UPS batteries tend to have an average life expectancy of around 3 years.

To add to this, my experience with the 12vdc, 9ah batteries I've standardized on has been 3-5 years with 5 years being typical. That said, I've got one at 10 years in June... a real network admin would replace it immediately! :)

OE

That is odd.

OE

Why would that have anything to do with it? The firmware and settings aren't going to make it magically draw power out of thin air.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!