What's new

RT AX58U Broken Antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zackattack784

Regular Contributor
Don’t ask me how it happened (because I don’t know myself) but my cat broke the left most antenna on my AX58U.

It looks like the plastic that allows the antenna to swivel cracked and now the antenna flops 30 degrees or so to either side. If I position it correctly it will stay upright.

As far as I can tell I’m still getting my full internet speeds and it is only used as an AP. Any other way to test if performance is impacted? I would think there wouldn’t be any performance impacts since I highly doubt anything internal to the antenna was damaged but figured I’d ask in case anyone else has had a similar mishap.

Don’t ask me how it happened (because I don’t know myself) but my cat broke the left most antenna on my AX58U.

It looks like the plastic that allows the antenna to swivel cracked and now the antenna flops 30 degrees or so to either side. If I position it correctly it will stay upright.

As far as I can tell I’m still getting my full internet speeds and it is only used as an AP. Any other way to test if performance is impacted? I would think there wouldn’t be any performance impacts since I highly doubt anything internal to the antenna was damaged but figured I’d ask in case anyone else has had a similar mishap.

Sounds like only a mechanical issue. If the electrical connection and internal element are still intact, it should still work if you can keep it in position.

Maybe you can cut-to-size and wrap some black Vinyl electrical tape around the crack, stretching the tape a bit after you get it started and before you seal it off to maintain some pressure on the repair.

Or a glob of hot glue will hold it in any position.

If still in warranty, maybe you can push it through Asus for a replacement antenna, if they do parts (not likely).

(I have an eccentric friend who would seize this opportunity to install a tiny system of antenna guy wires! :) )

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!