What's new

RT-AX58U - increase in speed even for AC-only client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus specs error then. Not surprised. Found the right info - BCM43684, 4x4:2. Puzzle solved. :)

For AX it's clear. MBP doesn't have AX though. This is what caught my attention above.

You took it from http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ax_Hardware right? Under the AX58U row, it says the BCM43684 is a 2x2 radio, is that a typo?

So basically Asus "hide" a 4x4 radio in the AX58/AX3000 and marketed it as 2x2 to avoid cannibalising higher end AX routers?

ASUS RT-AX58U
FCC ID:
MSQ-RTAXJ300 wireless router abgn+ac+ax

2x2:2 x 2x2:2 CoO:
20px-Sample_PRC_Flag.svg.png
Broadcom
BCM6750
1.5 GHz
3 cores 256 MiB 512 MiB Broadcom
BCM6750
2x2:2, bgn+ax
Ant. conn: U.FL Broadcom
BCM43684
2x2:2, an+ac+ax
Ant. conn: U.FL Broadcom
BCM6750 1GbE
4 LAN
1 WAN USB 3.0 1 USB
2019-08-23

So basically Asus "hide" a 4x4 radio in the AX58/AX3000 and marketed it as 2x2 to avoid cannibalising higher end AX routers?

This is intentional, not a spec sheet error.

It's common practice to market a single hardware platform under different product names. But manfs usually cripple a feature, i.e. no USB port, no 160 MHz support.

In this case, ASUS is giving savvy buyers a gift. Similar to what Linksys did awhile ago, a few times. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/32156-another-gift-from-linksys

This is intentional, not a spec sheet error.

It's common practice to market a single hardware platform under different product names. But manfs usually cripple a feature, i.e. no USB port, no 160 MHz support.

In this case, ASUS is giving savvy buyers a gift. Similar to what Linksys did awhile ago, a few times. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/32156-another-gift-from-linksys

Thanks! I've my doubts cleared and is certainly happy my AX58U performance is a bargain for what I paid for (compared to AX88U pricing).

Last edited:
Is the same board used in another router? Could be cost saving.
Nothing guarantees the savvy buyer it won't be disabled with future fw updates.
The RT-AX58U, RT-AX3000 and RT-AX82U all have the same FCC ID. Same hardware.

Sure, it's possible ASUS could limit the router to 2 streams @ 5 GHz. But that's not their style.

Is the same board used in another router? Could be cost saving.
Nothing guarantees the savvy buyer it won't be disabled with future fw updates.
The RT-AX58U, RT-AX3000 and RT-AX82U all have the same FCC ID. Same hardware.

Sure, it's possible ASUS could limit the router to 2 streams @ 5 GHz. But that's not their style.

I was curious about it, so I configured my RT-AX58U as a repeater, and connected it to my RT-AX88U. The RT-AX58U does indeed support four spatial streams, as seen here from the AX88U client list:

upload_2020-5-6_16-52-6.png

I don't have any 4 SS client to test directly connecting to it while in router mode however, so I can't confirm if it fully works at 4 streams while operating as a router or an AP. But if it does, that makes the RT-AX58U a really attractive option.

EDIT: this router is schizophrenic. It reported 4 streams earlier, it was able to connect to another router using four streams. And now that I switched it back into Router mode,, it now only reports 2 streams. I bet Asus used a 4 SS chip, and intended to limit it at 2 SS, but that limit isn't properly working...

Last edited:
So after doing more tests and discussing it with someone else, here is the working theory:

STA mode: can handle up to 4 streams @ 160 MHz (which would match my screenshot)
AP mode: can handle up to 4 streams @ 80 MHz, or 2 streams @ 160 MHz, and both are limited at 2400 Mbps max

This might be due to a limit in processing power for the chip (STA mode only has to handle one single connection, while AP mode might need to handle more simultaneously).

And I finally got an official answer.

The RT-AX58U has 2 transmit and 4 receive streams. This is also why in my screenshot it was 2400 Mbs/3600 Mbs.

@RMerlin what would be the proper way to denote this in 4x4:4 format?

There are 4 5 GHz streams and 2 2.4 GHz streams. Same design as NETGEAR RAX45/50.
The 2.4 GHz radio is part of the BCM6750 SoC, which contains the processor and switch.

Should it be 4 transmit and 2 receive stream? As the screenshot denote 2400 Rx and 3600 Tx :)

The screenshot is from the RT-AX88U, so it's at the other end of the connection.

here are 4 5 GHz streams and 2 2.4 GHz streams.

However, the 5 GHz band is limited to two transmit streams, according to someone at Asus.

Using Merlin firmware shows 5 GHz at 2 streams for all my devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!