What's new

RT-AX58U VPN Speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Merlin do you think the AX58U will be the replacement of the AC68U in terms of support? Because what you just have explained might allow for the AX58U to be like a very nice router for average user, maybe making it massive, or am I wrong? Thanks!

I don't know what Asus' plans are, neither how the market will react. At the time, Asus told me they saw the RT-AC86U as the successor to the RT-AC68U. In the end, the market didn't seem to make it so, and kept buying the RT-AC68U and its lower-priced RT-AC66U_B1 replacement.

The first big question is whether the RT-Ax58U will be marketed in every country. Some models are sometimes only available in very specific markets.

Also, people might decide that the cheaper RT-AX56U is good enough, and that it isn't worth paying extra for the RT-AX58U.

It will probably take a good 3-6 months to see how the market evolves with these two new models.

If Asus foolishly prices the RT-AX58U out of the market (which they currently do) then it will be just another failure. Prices will make or break a product in this regressive economy.

RT-AX58U needs to be at $140 to make any impact. Even RT-AX56U needs to be at $100. Or you can wait for the rumored RT-AX86U.

If Asus foolishly prices the RT-AX58U out of the market (which they currently do) then it will be just another failure.

I don't think so. The AX58U can be had for 159.00 Best buy runs sales all the time. This is a good price for a AX router that preforms as good as there much higher priced AX routers think AX88 that in my opinion don't work any better and from reading around here possibly worse. 2: The AX88U is a monster router it runs hot. Many people do NOT want a router that large and the 58U form factors is much more acceptable. The 58U i believe will be a huge seller like the 68U use to be. As Merlin stated time will tell.

All I can say personally is I have owned many many Asus routers and the AX58U is more stable and works just as good or better then any of them.

I don't think so. The AX58U can be had for 159.00 Best buy runs sales all the time. This is a good price for a AX router that preforms as good as there much higher priced AX routers think AX88 that in my opinion don't work any better and from reading around here possibly worse. 2: The AX88U is a monster router it runs hot. Many people do NOT want a router that large and the 58U form factors is much more acceptable. The 58U i believe will be a huge seller like the 68U use to be. As Merlin stated time will tell.

All I can say personally is I have owned many many Asus routers and the AX58U is more stable and works just as good or better then any of them.

While I think it is very good for all that the AX58 runs very stable, I can tell you that and at least in my case the AX88 has been *very* stable also, and has a few features that are lacking in the AX58:

- Fast (hardware assisted) VPN. And this is very noticeable if you access your network remotely
- Fast (NAS level) performance. I am sharing a USB RAID1 4TB volume with it and can regularly obtain 114MB/s transfer rates to/from the disk. It makes backups bareable. and a very good media and samba server.
- 8 x 1Gb ethernet ports. To connect other access points, PCs, printers,...
- Better processor and more memory, to do all its server magic without impacting other network users.
- Faster 5Ghz wifi.. of course handy if for instance you pair two of those or use appropriate clients.

Regarding the size, I agree with you it is quite a big router.

Regarding temps, mine sits regularly at 50C I would not call this hot at all.

Of course it is a much more expensive (2x) product, but the point of my comment is that it is also a quite more capable one.

To determine if you are pricing yourself out of a market, you need to look at the price of other similar products in your market. Right now, there isn't much from the competition that matches the RT-AX89U, so it's hard to say if they are priced within the market or out of it.

Don't forget we're talking something with a 10G port here. What's the typical price for Internet routers that offer a 10G port and 802.11ax?

The RT-AX58X is also in a fairly new market. Anything with AX is going to cost a premium for quite some time.

While I think it is very good for all that the AX58 runs very stable, I can tell you that and at least in my case the AX88 has been *very* stable also, and has a few features that are lacking in the AX58:

- Fast (hardware assisted) VPN. And this is very noticeable if you access your network remotely
- Fast (NAS level) performance. I am sharing a USB RAID1 4TB volume with it and can regularly obtain 114MB/s transfer rates to/from the disk. It makes backups bareable. and a very good media and samba server.
- 8 x 1Gb ethernet ports. To connect other access points, PCs, printers,...
- Better processor and more memory, to do all its server magic without impacting other network users.
- Faster 5Ghz wifi.. of course handy if for instance you pair two of those or use appropriate clients.

Regarding the size, I agree with you it is quite a big router.

Regarding temps, mine sits regularly at 50C I would not call this hot at all.

Of course it is a much more expensive (2x) product, but the point of my comment is that it is also a quite more capable one.

I have both 88u and 58u and most people aren’t running VPN’s, scripts or plex servers on their routers. While the 88u is a great router the 58u is way more attractive to the public because of the price and features. I’ve run both in aimesh, stand alone, you name it and the 58u isint very far behind the 88u now in everyday use that most people will use.

The reason google WiFi, Eero and the mesh systems are popular is because they’re plug n play and forget it. You show most of the public a Asus GUI and they’ll run off screaming into the night.

I have both 88u and 58u and most people aren’t running VPN’s, scripts or plex servers on their routers. While the 88u is a great router the 58u is way more attractive to the public because of the price and features. I’ve run both in aimesh, stand alone, you name it and the 58u isint very far behind the 88u now in everyday use that most people will use.

I second this. People running VPN's and scripts is limited to a very small percentage of the every day home router user. And is not even close to what drives the home router market. A stable plug and play is what 99% of users want and the AX58U fits that very well in price VS performance.

Going to have to disagree with you on some of this.

If you need more than 4 ports the AX58u is not an option. The AX88U has double the ram which is useful for all the scripts we run on this forum. I've seen your posted temps for the AX58U and they are similar to my own so not sure where you are getting it runs hot. And obviously you will have a negative opinion on the AX88U if you are only reading post from people that have issues. For people like myself that don't have problems I don't post. And the AX58U is so new that very few people own it and post issues. That is something that would need to be revisited in like 6 months time.

Last edited:
If you need more than 4 ports the AX58u is not an option. The AX88U has double the ram which is useful for all the scripts we run on this forum.

Yes but as said 99 % don't bother with all the mumbo jumbo and just want a stable router at a good price that works. The AX88 is not that router. Way over sized and way to expensive for the every day user. I have installed a lot of routers and when i mention the AX88 and the price it's always the same answer No way. So to each there own most people want a set and forget.

Yes but as said 99 % don't bother with all the mumbo jumbo and just want a stable router at a good price that works. The AX88 is not that router. Way over sized and way to expensive for the every day user. I have installed a lot of routers and when i mention the AX88 and the price it's always the same answer No way.

This forum is not full of everyday users though.

As for them saying no to the price that isn't a surprise as those are not the type of users that would benefit from all the features it has to offer.

You could offer them a $99 dlink router and they would take it.

Non technical customers aren't going to be objective or even know what they want they are looking at you to tell them what they need.

Last edited:
This forum is not full of everyday users though.

Precisely but this forum only represents a VERY small portion of Asus market share. There will always be techies like ourselves but in the big picture we are alone. That's why i feel the AX58U will be one of the better sellers for people once AX becomes more common and they look to upgrade.

Precisely but this forum only represents a VERY small portion of Asus market share. There will always be techies like ourselves but in the big picture we are alone. That's why i feel the AX58U will be one of the better sellers for people once AX becomes more common and they look to upgrade.

I agree with you that it will sell well but I believe that would be based on is price point and not features or anything else it will offer vs the AX88U.

Prediction: Asus AX-58U will turn out to be one of Asus’ best selling routers ever.

AX58U is essentially a mini 88U but in my experience it’s not very far off a 88U in everyday use that most people use it for. Stable, fast, good coverage, great support, best $159 (on sale) AX router you can buy.

@digits n bits you may want to explicitly state you're endorsing the RT-AX58U even compared to the RT-AX88U. As the RT-AC88U is a long-in-the-tooth router today and effectively eclipsed by both of the AX revisions. :)

People merely skimming your posts may easily dismiss the 'AX58U if it is below an 'AC88U, today. ;)

@digits n bits you may want to explicitly state you're endorsing the RT-AX58U even compared to the RT-AX88U. As the RT-AC88U is a long-in-the-tooth router today and effectively eclipsed by both of the AX revisions. :)

People merely skimming your posts may easily dismiss the 'AX58U if it is below an 'AC88U, today. ;)

You’re correct I’m referring to the AX88U.

Prediction: Asus AX-58U will turn out to be one of Asus’ best selling routers ever.

AX58U is essentially a mini 88U but in my experience it’s not very far off a 88U in everyday use that most people use it for. Stable, fast, good coverage, great support, best $159 (on sale) AX router you can buy.

While I am sure this router (AX-58U) has potential to sell well, I do see the in the AX-56U even more potential to be the 'best selling' router for price-oriented-low-requirements public following that rame rationale.

But all in all these and the AX88 are 3 different price/function points, each one with its own public, and as of today I think based on this forum's experience/comments the three are good valid and stable products.

Would you guys choose a 4x 4:4 AC router like AC86U or a 2x 2:2 AX like AX58U? I can't see a reason to go for AX58U, they are at the same pricing atm.

The RT-AC86U is a 2017 model with older RF/antennae design decisions. With AC only clients, it should be a better match and may give slightly more range and throughput at the furthest reaches in a given environment.

The RT-AX58U is a 2020 model with upgraded RF/antennae design and may provide the same or better throughput to both AC and current/future AX clients today, at a possible slightly reduced range.

If maximum OpenVPN performance is required, the 'AC86U is superior to the lower performance (about half) of the 'AX58U.

If the router will be used extensively at a remote location and rebooting (and fully booting up afterward) is important, consider that the 'AC86U may not be the stable router you require. Even if many, including myself, find no issues with this model.

As an AiMesh node, I would pick the RT-AC86U hands down.

Depending on your specific requirements and referring to the points made above, the RT-AX58U may be the better choice, overall, going forward. :)

That's not bad. I was worried it would be on par with the RT-AC68U which only gets around 30 Mbps.

Thanks,
Harry

I have a feeling its only slightly better. I get 40-50Mbps with openvpn on my ax58u off a 125Mbps connection. Anything I can do to improve speeds?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!