What's new

RT-AX68U Availability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have an AX86S for sale, Ontario here

I didn't say it doesn't hold any weight. I stated it doesn't hold much.

Yes, the RT-AX86U/s is much more powerful. As I've stated and ranked them similarly, in that order, many times in these forums.

Has more weight than you saying "The AX68U has quite a few bad reviews here on the forums" is "just not true" Look it up. I did, you just continue to spout nonsense.

No, I'm not spouting nonsense. I'm speaking logically.

How many 'bad reviews' do you count?

Vs. The 10s and 100s of 1,000s bought and being used, they're hardly indicative of a worldwide problem.

And, my own experience with this model (in units) far outweighs the 'bad reviews' I've read about here.

I don't need to look it up. I've read and responded to those posts as they were created.

You don't have to believe my point of view. But that doesn't make it nonsense.

One thread of complaints is hardly a reason to ignore the benefits the model offers to almost everyone else.

Doesn't work for you? Fine, return/exchange or upgrade to a model that does work in your use case, environment, and with your devices. Simple.

No, I'm not spouting nonsense. I'm speaking logically.

How many 'bad reviews' do you count?

Vs. The 10s and 100s of 1,000s bought and being used, they're hardly indicative of a worldwide problem.

And, my own experience with this model (in units) far outweighs the 'bad reviews' I've read about here.

I don't need to look it up. I've read and responded to those posts as they were created.

You don't have to believe my point of view. But that doesn't make it nonsense.

One thread of complaints is hardly a reason to ignore the benefits the model offers to almost everyone else.

Doesn't work for you? Fine, return/exchange or upgrade to a model that does work in your use case, environment, and with your devices. Simple.
There are those who NEED to be right, and those who listen. And while on the topic, I love my RT-AX68U and while its been solid as a rock, its interesting there have been no firmware updates since November..Not a big deal, just curious :)

Not a big deal, just curious

Because you didn't listen and wanted cheap. You got cheap unpopular router replaced already with multiple newer AX3000 class models, unavailable in most countries and currently on clearance at least here in Canada until quantities last. This router was built around not very popular* BCM6710 platform, this is the only Asus router with this design (BCM6710 used for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands), it had long history of driver issues (5GHz), delayed firmware and perhaps will be discontinued soon if not already. You don't see much feedback because not too many people have it. Some people do more research before purchasing products. Look at the forum members' signatures around and how many people reply to new firmware release threads.

* - This router doesn't have 160MHz wide channel support limiting common 2-stream clients to 1200Mbps link speeds or up to about 800Mbps throughput. This router in class AX2700 is just one step above entry-level AX1800 products and this is just in theory. This router uses the same CPU as RT-AC86U released back in 2017. Asus is currently replacing this entire platform with newer Broadcom chips. BCM6710 radio for 5GHz was used for 3 products only. BCM6710 radio for 2.4GHz was used in 3 more products as cost cutting measure. Only 6 products on the entire market. Curious why?

1691626281315.png

CAD130 = USD97

Use yours and don't be surprised if it hits End-Of-Life list sooner than other Asus AX-class products. I know it's the best Asus router you've ever had. You had RT-AC68U before released in 2013. RT-AX68U is definitely an upgrade, but don't expect it to last and be supported for another 10 years.

Why aren't you using RMerlin firmware?

For our needs, on the surface, the AX68U would have been a good balance between price and performance providing that the combination of chipset and firmware are reliable. For us, this is a long term purchase and will consider increasing our bugdet for reliability. We currently have used a mesh system with two RT68U's for many years. The good news is that the system is working well and because of a lack of inventory and change in the ASUS designs, we will continue to wait several more months until the new routers arrive. The only router with stock is the RT-AX86U PRO AX5700, al other versions of the RT-AX86U have no stock at this time. This is a good router and hopefully there will be a sale in the near future.

In terms of the Merlin software, I could test on the existing hardware in the coming weeks. I will complete some more reading in this forum regarding the security settings in Merlin and the details of setting up a VPN before installing. Thanks,

Because you didn't listen and wanted cheap. You got cheap unpopular router replaced already with multiple newer AX3000 class models, unavailable in most countries and currently on clearance at least here in Canada until quantities last. This router was built around not very popular* BCM6710 platform, this is the only Asus router with this design (BCM6710 used for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands), it had long history of driver issues (5GHz), delayed firmware and perhaps will be discontinued soon if not already. You don't see much feedback because not too many people have it. Some people do more research before purchasing products. Look at the forum members' signatures around and how many people reply to new firmware release threads.

* - This router doesn't have 160MHz wide channel support limiting common 2-stream clients to 1200Mbps link speeds or up to about 800Mbps throughput. This router in class AX2700 is just one step above entry-level AX1800 products and this is just in theory. This router uses the same CPU as RT-AC86U released back in 2017. Asus is currently replacing this entire platform with newer Broadcom chips. BCM6710 radio for 5GHz was used for 3 products only. BCM6710 radio for 2.4GHz was used in 3 more products as cost cutting measure. Only 6 products on the entire market. Curious why?

View attachment 52245

CAD130 = USD97

Use yours and don't be surprised if it hits End-Of-Life list sooner than other Asus AX-class products. I know it's the best Asus router you've ever had. You had RT-AC68U before released in 2013. RT-AX68U is definitely an upgrade, but don't expect it to last and be supported for another 10 years.
Never mind that @L&LD is calling the AX-86U "essentially EOL" while spouting on about a router that, you know, probably is a heck of a lot closer to EOL (and in the thread saying availability is dropping - gee, wonder why?).

Why aren't you using RMerlin firmware?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Merlin rely on ASWRT updates and is also gauged for users who need more advanced features? Unlike most of the members, I have a simple network that includes a power line setup and only a few WiFi devices. The router works great with ASWRT but it appears they have discontinued firmware updates. Thanks

I don't believe they discontinued firmware updates. Just haven't got (back) to that model again/yet.

Yes, RMerlin gets GPL updates for all models he supports.

He's released 3 versions since Asus' last one. 5, if you include the two betas from this July and August.

And it will be six in a few weeks when 388.4_0 goes final, I'm sure.

As I've mentioned previously, you don't have to have a need for advanced features to enjoy the benefits of RMerlin's firmware if your model is supported. The benefits of his tweaks are still present even at (almost) stock/default settings.

Here's why you want RMerlin firmware over stock Asus. Regardless if they're both 'up-to-date' or not.

I don't believe they discontinued firmware updates. Just haven't got (back) to that model again/yet.

Yes, RMerlin gets GPL updates for all models he supports.

He's released 3 versions since Asus' last one. 5, if you include the two betas from this July and August.

And it will be six in a few weeks when 388.4_0 goes final, I'm sure.

As I've mentioned previously, you don't have to have a need for advanced features to enjoy the benefits of RMerlin's firmware if your model is supported. The benefits of his tweaks are still present even at (almost) stock/default settings.

Here's why you want RMerlin firmware over stock Asus. Regardless if they're both 'up-to-date' or not.

I appreciate the response and information. I tend towards 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' paradigm however but am always open to trying out new things especially if they IMPROVE status quo!

Yes, agreed. But RMerlin firmware is more 'ain't broke' than Asus stock firmware will ever be. :)

Yes, agreed. But RMerlin firmware is more 'ain't broke' than Asus stock firmware will ever be. :)
Not sure what you mean :( Read a CNN story about Merlin that said if its not installed properly, it can brick a router. I have a Mac desktop believe it or not, and from my experience most APK's are designed for PC. Regardless I'm extremely happy with the AX68U and ASWRT firmware

CNN is wrong (as usual).

Use the GUI to update/change the firmware. Almost zero chance of bricking an Asus router (via the GUI, it verifies the firmware you're trying to flash, via Rescue Mode, it doesn't).

RMerlin doesn't release firmware that Asus has already provided to the public. He goes over all/most of what Asus gives him access to with a fine-tooth comb. So, even with no 'RMerlin' features used, it is overall a better, more stable, and more performant firmware option for supported routers.

Never mind that @L&LD is calling the AX-86U "essentially EOL" while spouting on about a router that, you know, probably is a heck of a lot closer to EOL (and in the thread saying availability is dropping - gee, wonder why?).

Ha. Called it without trying. The junk AX-68U is now actually EOL.

Bravo! You can predict the near future! Do you want a cookie now?

Nothing I stated is negated by the fact that the RT-AX68U is now EOL. That is a business decision. Rather disconnected from what you're tilting towards.

And for the record, the RT-AX68U is still not 'junk'. But going forward, it will not be recommended as a main router.

Isn't that the model their most-basic Expert WiFi ("business-class") product is based upon?

Isn't that the model their most-basic Expert WiFi ("business-class") product is based upon?
I have no idea..I got mine about a year ago and its been a rock solid performer..the ASWRT firmware update this month improved every aspect of it too.

ExpertWiFi EBR63 specs suggest similar to RT-AX58U V2 hardware. What's interesting - it runs 3.0.0.6 firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!