What's new

RT-AX86S random restart (not merlin specific)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jata

Hi All,

Just received a replacement for my RT-AX86S as it is only 6mths old and I have been seeing random restarts that I just could not track down - nothing in the logs apart from the normal router boot process. I had this issue across different firmware versions and it slowly started to increase in frequency.

Anyway, the new unit has a different power adapter. The original has an external 'brick' and the new one an integrated one so I am now thinking that the issue I had was simply a faulty power unit that was causing the issue.

So to any other folks having this issue. check the power supply! (can't believe I never even considered this)

Integrated power supply means you plug mains AC power cord directly to the device. Are you sure?
No. Apologies for confusion. My new power adapter is a standard one with consumer routers - the adapter is integrated into the plug/wall socket. The other unit had a completely different design. It had a separate power brick with 'kettle' cord to wall socket.

After months of trying to solve this issue with the random restarts, i can't believe I didn't think about an issue with the power supply.

Could be the power supply, but you also have a new AX86S unit.
yep. I know. Only had it for a few days so keeping an eye on things for the next couple of weeks.

I did a full reset and manual setup of main router (merlin) and mesh nodes too. Nodes were reset with current stock.

Fingers crossed I have a good unit (and power supply) this time...