What's new

RT-AX86U 2.5GB Port and speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davefromdowntown

New Around Here
I have a family member who purchased the RT-AX86U router from Best Buy, and is having it delivered tomorrow.

They have an Arris S33 modem which has a 2.5GB port, and they have gig internet from Spectrum, overprovisioned to about 1.2 GB. They've been using a RT-AC88U and are hell bent on getting that extra bit of speed Spectum offers for whatever reason. They called Asus before purchasing htis router to confirm if they would get the greater than 1 gig speeds if they connected their modem from it's 2.5GB port to the router, and then from the 2.5 GB port on the router to their PC, which also has a 2.5GB NIC. Asus states that yes they will get the greater speeds, but from what I've read, they won't since they'll be connecting the modem from IT'S 2.5GB port to the "non 2.5GB port on the router" if that makes sense....

So, if they connect from the 2.5 port on their modem TO the "regular wan port" on the router, and from the 2.5 TO their PC with the 2.5 GB nic, WILL they get the speeds >1GB or will it still be 1GB since they connected TO the "non 2.5gb" port on the router from their modem. Hopefully this all makes sense, I'm all but sure what they're wanting to accomplish isn't going to happen, but they're the type that doesn't want to listen regardless. :rolleyes:.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums @davefromdowntown.

No, they will not get greater than 1Gbps speeds on the WAN, at least not with a single client device (even if their router had a 2.5GbE Port). Every link in the chain must be 2.5GBps or higher.

Even with two USB 2.5GbE adaptors (one for WAN and one for LAN, see recent discussions in these forums about (one) of those solutions) their router most likely isn't capable or compatible.

Tell them to save their money. Unless they spring for a much better routing solution with 2.5GbE ports on both WAN and LAN sides.

Welcome to the forums @davefromdowntown.

No, they will not get greater than 1Gbps speeds on the WAN, at least not with a single client device (even if their router had a 2.5GbE Port). Every link in the chain must be 2.5GBps or higher.

Even with two USB 2.5GbE adaptors (one for WAN and one for LAN, see recent discussions in these forums about (one) of those solutions) their router most likely isn't capable or compatible.

Tell them to save their money. Unless they spring for a much better routing solution with 2.5GbE ports on both WAN and LAN sides.
Thanks, appreciate it. I figured as much but wanted to ask the "pros" - I'll let him know.

This issue with one 2.5gb port has been a point others have made as well. Its “How do I use this best when there’s only one?”

Modem with 2.5gb for ISP that does faster than 1gb and router with only 1 2.5gb port…..

It’ll be the best if use 2.5 for the WAN. Wireless clients won’t be limited to the 1gb of the Ethernet ports. Wireless on the AX86U very fast……

For me with Xfinity while 1.2 is advertised I get faster. I’ve had up to 1.6gb on the WAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!