What's new

RT-AX86U & 386.5_2 - Can't complete update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DdC

New Around Here
I've tried numerous times to update my router RT-AX86U to 386.5_2 from a MacBook Pro, an iPad Pro, and a Windows 11 desktop. All have failed. The two computers just sit there with "Please wait, Applying Settings." It never changes. The iPad Pro would at least give me an "Upload Failed. Your using the wrong firmware" message. I've triple checked the firmware. It's the right one. I've downloaded it several times in case of corruption.

I am currently running 386.4 and have tried both 5_0 and 5_2. Same results. I've rebooted the router, but it didn't help. This is the first time I've ever had an issue after years of running ASUSwrt. Is my next step flashing it back to stock and trying again with 5_2? I'd really like to avoid that because I don't think I can remember all the settings I've changed over the years.

And help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've tried numerous times to update my router RT-AX86U to 386.5_2 from a MacBook Pro, an iPad Pro, and a Windows 11 desktop. All have failed. The two computers just sit there with "Please wait, Applying Settings." It never changes. The iPad Pro would at least give me an "Upload Failed. Your using the wrong firmware" message. I've triple checked the firmware. It's the right one. I've downloaded it several times in case of corruption.

I am currently running 386.4 and have tried both 5_0 and 5_2. Same results. I've rebooted the router, but it didn't help. This is the first time I've ever had an issue after years of running ASUSwrt. Is my next step flashing it back to stock and trying again with 5_2? I'd really like to avoid that because I don't think I can remember all the settings I've changed over the years.

Thanks!

Delete the old download and a grab it fresh: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AJLLKAY--4EBqDo&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!19595&cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0

Clear your Browser Cache.

Unmount any USB drives.

Try Flashing.

Thanks!
You are upgrading over an Ethernet connection?

Delete the old download and a grab it fresh: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AJLLKAY--4EBqDo&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!19595&cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0

Clear your Browser Cache.

Unmount any USB drives.

Try Flashing.
Thanks! Worked like a charm. I had tried both ethernet and wireless. Is the version on the onedrive account different than the main download site, or was it clearing the cache that did it?

Thanks again for helping the newbie!

Thanks! Worked like a charm. I had tried both ethernet and wireless. Is the version on the onedrive account different than the main download site, or was it clearing the cache that did it?

Thanks again for helping the newbie!

The Onedrive should be the same, both sourced by RMerlin.

Most likely the cache.

You didn't mention about any USB attachments or add-on scripts.

Glad it's all done and working.

Reactions: DdC
The Onedrive should be the same, both sourced by RMerlin.

Most likely the cache.

You didn't mention about any USB attachments or add-on scripts.

Glad it's all done and working.
No USB drives, but I do have a printer attached. Forgot to unplug it, and it still worked! No add-on scripts.

I kinda wonder about the firmware vs. the cache. I tried different downloads (from same public site) with different browsers on 2 computers and an iPad Pro yesterday, and nothing worked. But today, no problems!

No USB drives, but I do have a printer attached. Forgot to unplug it, and it still worked! No add-on scripts.

I kinda wonder about the firmware vs. the cache. I tried different downloads (from same public site) with different browsers on 2 computers and an iPad Pro yesterday, and nothing worked. But today, no problems!
Best practice is to do a "Default Factory Reset" AFTER the Flash. If you were on factory firmware (very important) or on an earlier version and the changes are more significant (bigger gap between updates/ code base).

I don't factory reset very often. Sometimes you just use the GUI to save your settings, then Factory Reset, then reapply the settings. This works most often but sometimes you need to start over from scratch.

Hope it's all running smooth on your end.

Also, when I get a version that does not flash, I delete all previous downloads before I grab the fresh copy.

I don't factory reset very often. Sometimes you just use the GUI to save your settings, then Factory Reset, then reapply the settings. This works most often but sometimes you need to start over from scratch.

Hope it's all running smooth on your end.

Also, when I get a version that does not flash, I delete all previous downloads before I grab the fresh copy.

I don't back up and restore settings because of the warning RMerlin put in the readme doc. Is it okay if the version jump is small? I'll remember about deleting previous versions. Thanks!

I don't back up and restore settings because of the warning RMerlin put in the readme doc. Is it okay if the version jump is small? I'll remember about deleting previous versions. Thanks!
It's OK with small jumps and not major code changes. RMerlin usually puts this info in the README docs.

That being said, if there is odd behavior, go from scratch.

It's OK with small jumps and not major code changes. RMerlin usually puts this info in the README docs.

That being said, if there is odd behavior, go from scratch.
Yea. also, usually most the bugs get caught in the alpha/beta stages. It is often good to review the beta thread and the subsequent stable release thread for any user feedback pertaining to the users actual router model before actually attempting to flash any new firmware version. This will prepare the user for any challenges that may be mentioned. (If there are any).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!