What's new

RT-AX86U 5GHz radio dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dezzm5

Occasional Visitor
Few days back, 5GHz wifi on my router (ax86u - merlin 386.3_2) started to disappear. Restarting the router or unplugging it from the wall for a few minutes didn't help. Logs full of fatal errors from wl1.
So I went back to the newest stock firmware and did wps button reset. All was looking good until last night when all my wifi devices disconnected for a few minutes to be ok again after that. Nothing in
the logs this time. Still concerning. Was it because the stock firmware just doesn't log everything ? Or is the new stock firmware unstable ?

Anyway I went back to merlin fw 386.3_2 which was stable for a few months before, to try what will happen. Few hours later, same fatal errors and 5GHz wifi gone..
Could someone please check my logs for something that could help? Or is my radio dying... Thank you.

Logs:
Stock: https://pastebin.com/yCiahSEp
Merling FW: https://pastebin.com/tR8B3WRS

By any chance are you using DFS channels or 160 MHz? If so you may have been bounced off by RADAR.

I find the Asus factory very stable. I do not experience disconnects on either of the WIFI bands. I have tested Auto channels and bandwidth with no issues. I use Dual Band SmartConnect. I do not let the router select DFS channels because some of my older clients do not like that. I have used 160 MHz on 5 GHz with channel 36 selected with no issues.
Do not remember anyone reporting failed radios on the AX86U.

80MHz channel 36... Both firmwares.
I just unplugged the router again and the radio came back this time...god knows for how long... (still on merlin)

80MHz channel 36... Both firmwares.
I just unplugged the router again and the radio came back this time...god knows for how long... (still on merlin)

When you commission the new network, are you first resetting the firmware to its factory defaults... and then configure from scratch? If not, also consider first re-flashing with a new firmware download (run WinMD5 to verify downloaded file MD5 checksum value).

If the radio signal is then not stable with a basic configuration, it could be failing hardware. Use a WiFi Analyzer app to 'see' the signal behavior.

OE

Last edited:
When you commission the new network, are you first resetting the firmware to its factory defaults... and then configure from scratch? If not, also consider first re-flashing with a new firmware download (run WinMD5 to verify downloaded file MD5 checksum value).

If the radio signal is then not stable with a basic configuration, it could be failing hardware. Use a WiFi Analyzer app to 'see' the signal behavior.

OE
New firmware > WPS button reset > Configure from scratch. When I went back to stock I even changed SSIDs and passwords and after that I did let things to connect one by one if everything was stable for a few hours. It was all ok for a few days until yesterday evening. Coming back to merlin I didn't bother changing SSIDs and it all went to hell after few hours ..

Changed SSIDs again... I'ts hard to troubleshoot when the radio is fine for hours/days even when all is back online. No new device in home that wasn't here for months before.

New firmware > WPS button reset > Configure from scratch. When I went back to stock I even changed SSIDs and passwords and after that I did let things to connect one by one if everything was stable for a few hours. It was all ok for a few days until yesterday evening. Coming back to merlin I didn't bother changing SSIDs and it all went to hell after few hours ..

Changed SSIDs again... I'ts hard to troubleshoot when the radio is fine for hours/days even when all is back online. No new device in home that wasn't here for months before.

I would stick to one firmware... Asuswrt since you are troubleshooting. AiMesh code is the same in Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin.

Trust your instincts... given a basic configuration, if the WiFi signal is not visibly stable and all clients suddenly can't stay connected and the log is showing weird/fatal errors at the time of failure and you are sure you commissioned the firmware properly (install, reset, basic config from scratch), then it's probably a hardware failure. Next step is return or contact Asus for an RMA.

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

OE

Just remembered that there have been cases reported with the AX86U that a Hard Factory Reset ( https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078) did not work. Believe it was on Merlin's firmware just after it went to the 386 version. I have not had issues with a Hard Factory Reset with Asus firmware.

Just remembered that there have been cases reported with the AX86U that a Hard Factory Reset ( https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078) did not work. Believe it was on Merlin's firmware just after it went to the 386 version. I have not had issues with a Hard Factory Reset with Asus firmware.

I usually use the webUI Restore w/Initialize on the router; and just remove nodes to reset them.

OE

I remember this being a common problem for the RT-AC86U with early 386 firmwares. I can't say I remember seeing any posts saying the same for the RT-AX86U, but I might just have missed them.

I'ts hard to troubleshoot when the radio is fine for hours/days even when all is back online. No new device in home that wasn't here for months before.
I've experienced a similar-ish issue on my RT-AX86U with the 5GHz driver constantly crashing and re-initialising. I posted about it here. Like your situation it was difficult to troubleshoot because it appeared to be triggered by client activity on a nearby access point which was using the same channels as me. The volume and frequency of the crashes was therefore largely outside of my control. The only way I've managed to stop this happening is by moving to a 5GHz channel group that is not used by any other AP's in range of my router.

I've experienced a similar-ish issue on my RT-AX86U with the 5GHz driver constantly crashing and re-initialising. I posted about it here. Like your situation it was difficult to troubleshoot because it appeared to be triggered by client activity on a nearby access point which was using the same channels as me. The volume and frequency of the crashes was therefore largely outside of my control. The only way I've managed to stop this happening is by moving to a 5GHz channel group that is not used by any other AP's in range of my router.
There is only one AP in range using channel 40 with a very weak signal (-90dBm). So I switched my router to channel 100. Will try anything before even thinking about sending it to RMA...

One more thing that has come to my mind ..the problem started around the same time we got asus z690 hero board that comes with Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 ? Could that be a thing even though the pc is connected with ethernet cable and the onboard wifi doesn't connect to anything? The router is only like a meter away from the pc.

Last edited:
One more thing that has come to my mind ..the problem started around the same time we got asus z690 hero board that comes with Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 ? Could that be a thing even though the pc is connected with ethernet cable and the onboard wifi doesn't connect to anything? The router is only like a meter away from the pc.

I would disable the onboard WiFi. And search for a driver update.

You could also disconnect that client and see how the network behaves for a day or so. Then reconnect the suspect client.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online