What's new

RT-AX86U + Asuswrt-Merlin = 5Ghz broken

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hank81

Regular Contributor
Hi, i just got a RT-AX68U to replace my old RT-AC68U. Fist thing i updated to latest firmware from Asus. I then flashed latest Merlin firmware an to my surprise 5Ghz band got broken. Radio is not transmitting anything.
In the config, i can't select channel, i have only the Auto option without DFS channels. Moreover, 160Hz checkbox is not available. I have done hard reset and the usual procedures when issues arise. I leave a snapshot of the wireless log so you can see isn't working. If i return to Asus firmware then everything works fine.
wifi7.jpg

Hi, i just got a RT-AX68U to replace my old RT-AC68U. Fist thing i updated to latest firmware from Asus. I then flashed latest Merlin firmware an to my surprise 5Ghz band got broken. Radio is not transmitting anything.
In the config, i can't select channel, i have only the Auto option without DFS channels. Moreover, 160Hz checkbox is not available. I have done hard reset and the usual procedures when issues arise. I leave a snapshot of the wireless log so you can see isn't working. If i return to Asus firmware then everything works fine.View attachment 37798
Have you done a reset after flashing Merlin firmware? (Recommended)
Edit: Did not read it all...sorry
Tried the latest alpha firmware?

Last edited:
Update to latest 386_3_2 and test again. Do a reset agin with WPS button and reconfigure by hand.

If you are using 160 MHz or DFS channels it will take a couple of minutes after reboot or WIFI change for the 5 GHz band to clear for RADAR check.

Also, you may need to do both a Hard Factory Reset (WPS method) and a GUI Factory Default with Initialize all to properly clear all the old NVRAM settings.

Try a complete power cycle to reset the hardware. Unplug the power while keeping the power switch set to On, wait 5-10 seconds, then plug it back.

It seems that i flashed the firmware for RT-AX68U.

I can access the GUI, the router is working fine. The problem now is that WPS/LED/RESET buttons are not working so i cannot get to recovery mode so i can't flash a new firmware. Any solution?

It seems that i flashed the firmware for RT-AX68U, what a mess.

I can access the GUI, the router is working fine but 5Ghz band The problem now is that WPS/LED/RESET buttons are not working so i cannot get to recovery mode in order to flash a new firmware. Any solution?

Seems like you flashed the correct firmware on the correct router.

Oh, the title of this thread is different from the first post.

Since the GUI is working, can you not just load the proper firmware for the model you actually have (RT-AX86U)?

Seems like you flashed the correct firmware on the correct router.

Oh, the title of this thread is different from the first post.

Since the GUI is working, can you not just load the proper firmware for the model you actually have (RT-AX86U)?
No, invalid firmare.
At first i flashed Merlin's firmware and didn't passed the check. I though it was a prevention from Asus to prevent flashing third party firmwares. So i did it via recovery without being conscious that it was the firmware of the RT-AX68U.

In the past i did the same mistake flashing my AC68U with AC86U via GUI but after that recovery mode was still working, so there was no problem.

I wonder if there's any workaround to flash firmare bypassing recovery. Unfortunately mtd-write2 has been deprecated.

I guess i will have to sort it out via UART cable.
Meanwhile i will buy another one. If i can fix the first one it will serve well as AiMesh node.

The lesson here is to pay attention to the warning you were shown when trying to flash the wrong firmware, not wilfully bypassing it in recovery mode, and make sure you have the 6 and 8 the right way round! (it catches a lot of people out - maybe Asus should use a different numbering scheme)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!