What's new

RT-AX86U dead WiFi asking for country code? [Solved]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sildur

New Around Here
Hey everyone
So a friend of mine bought an used RT-AX86U and asked me to take a look at it because the wifi led are not lighting up and the SSIDs wont show up. Installing merlinWRT didn't fix it either. Looking at the wifi settings opens a popup asking for a country code and the channels are stuck on auto as the only option.
Already tried full reset and all that, here's the syslog, maybe some of you guys have an idea on what to try next!

EDIT:
My manufacturing partition (mtd10) was indeed corrupted/missing. ColinTaylor helped me a lot in PMs to recreate it and getting this thing up and running again. This required a lot of unique information, risky commands and a chance of actually bricking the router completly.

Last edited:
It looks like someone has erased or corrupted the manufacturing partition (mtd10). That contains the baseline nvram configuration for the hardware. Without that data the router won't work.

It looks like someone has erased or corrupted the manufacturing partition (mtd10). That contains the baseline nvram configuration for the hardware. Without that data the router won't work.
Hmm, is there a way to restore said parition or reflash it?

That partition contains information put on at the factory that is unique to each router, e.g. serial numbers, MAC addresses, etc. It also contains regional information (like the territory), and hardware specific info (the RT-AX86U has at least two hardware revisions).

So you really need the original data. Trying to recreate it is going to be difficult.

You could try attaching that partition and seeing how far you get. Probably not very far...
Code:
cat /proc/mtd
ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 10

Last edited:
That partition contains information put on at the factory that is unique to each router, e.g. serial numbers, MAC addresses, etc. It also contains regional information (like the territory), and hardware specific info (the RT-AX86U has at least two hardware revisions).

So you really need the original data. Trying to recreate it is going to be difficult.

You could try accessing that partition and seeing how far you get. Probably not very far...
Code:
cat /proc/mtd
ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 10
ubinfo -a
Yeah getting an error on command ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 10: ubiattach: error!: cannot attach mtd10 error 22 (Invalid argument)
Full log: https://pastebin.com/WdfgJmik

Yeah getting an error on command ubiattach /dev/ubi_ctrl -m 10: ubiattach: error!: cannot attach mtd10 error 22 (Invalid argument)
Full log: https://pastebin.com/WdfgJmik
Well, if you get to the point where you're just going to bin it send me a private message. We might be able to rebuild that partition using the information from my RT-AX86U. But I've never done this before so you'd have to accept the risk of potentially bricking it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!