What's new

Rt-ax86U disconnects frequently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK that's useful.

How are you "connecting" the Ethernet? I'd expect to see messages like this in the log when you plug in the cable:
This morning I left WiFi on when I connected the laptop to the docking station which is connected to ethernet. Not sure why it wouldn't show in the logs. When I check the connection on the laptop it shows as connected to Ethernet(AustinNet instead of Austin1 which is my SSID. Below is what I had(have) the log level set to

1648747137613.png

Can you describe in detail exactly what happens on the PC when you experience the Ethernet disconnection.
When my wife connected her laptop this morning and I was on WiFi, I got "disconnected" from a Microsoft teams call. The WiFi said "connecting" and it took a few seconds to get back on the teams call. 5 to 10 second disconnect while the system tries to get me back on the teams call. The wifi disconnect itself may be much shorter but the reconnection to teams is what might be taking additional time.

I will check the modem logs as well and see if there is anything there.
Please let me know if I need to change the log level.
Thank you

The log levels are correct.

The docking station is probably continually supplying power to the Ethernet connection which might explain why it doesn't show in the logs.

The log doesn't show any abnormal WiFi disconnections. It shows you connecting to the WiFi at 07:37. At 08:34 you connect by Ethernet but the router still thinks you're connected to the WiFi. At 08:46 the router tries to contact the PC over WiFi and when it doesn't get a response it terminates the session at 08:47.

At the moment everything points to this not being a router issue.

speculation - have you tried taking the dock out of the loop?

The log levels are correct.

The docking station is probably continually supplying power to the Ethernet connection which might explain why it doesn't show in the logs.

The log doesn't show any abnormal WiFi disconnections. It shows you connecting to the WiFi at 07:37. At 08:34 you connect by Ethernet but the router still thinks you're connected to the WiFi. At 08:46 the router tries to contact the PC over WiFi and when it doesn't get a response it terminates the session at 08:47.

At the moment everything points to this not being a router issue.

So, I connected to Ethernet today after disabling Wifi and have had no issues. Note that for the last run, I had wifi on even when connected to Ethernet and kept getting disconnected. This was through the docking station too.

I am going around in circles like you said.

Talked to spectrum to confirm if the Modem is the issue. Tech support said they don't see issues on their side.
To debug and eliminate Modem as the issue, they asked me to connect the modem directly to the devices. There is only one port out of the modem. The issue with this is - multiple work laptops need to be connected. Looks like I need to get an ethernet switch.
Was going to get this switch to test the modem.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A128S24/?tag=snbforums-20

Attached a file on how the switch will be used to test without the router. Work Laptop 1 has to connect to the switch directly because it is in the same room as the Modem/Switch and Router. Thanks.

When I used to have a docking station, I had a small task tray app that I'd configured with profiles, including turning off Wi-Fi on my laptop when I docked my laptop and wired Ethernet was available. I think it was a Lenovo app but don't really recall the details. Having both networks active can't be a good thing so you might want to look for a way to easily control such configurations.

When I used to have a docking station, I had a small task tray app that I'd configured with profiles, including turning off Wi-Fi on my laptop when I docked my laptop and wired Ethernet was available. I think it was a Lenovo app but don't really recall the details. Having both networks active can't be a good thing so you might want to look for a way to easily control such configurations.
Didn't realize that having both on could cause an issue. At work, I never had issue connecting to the docking station(Ethernet) vs wireless when roaming around for meetings conf room to conf room. Didn't have to turn wireless off when docking

Didn't realize that having both on could cause an issue. At work, I never had issue connecting to the docking station(Ethernet) vs wireless when roaming around for meetings conf room to conf room. Didn't have to turn wireless off when docking
Maybe I'm wrong. But it's what I always believed and configured my PCs that way

Talked to spectrum to confirm if the Modem is the issue. Tech support said they don't see issues on their side.
To debug and eliminate Modem as the issue, they asked me to connect the modem directly to the devices. There is only one port out of the modem. The issue with this is - multiple work laptops need to be connected. Looks like I need to get an ethernet switch.
Was going to get this switch to test the modem.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A128S24/?tag=snbforums-20
Do not do this.

The reason the modem only has one port (assuming it really is a modem and not a modem/router) is because only one host device can be connected to it. So that's either one PC or one router, not a switch.

* There are some ISP modems that allow multiple connections (via a switch) but that's usually not the case and the number of devices that can be connected is typically limited to 3 or 4. Check with your ISP.

Last edited:
Reactions: pb9
Do not do this.
Thanks. I am glad I posted here before I connected the switch to the modem. I called my ISP and they are sending a technician out to check if the issue is on their side. Will give an update after. Thanks.

Thanks. I am glad I posted here before I connected the switch to the modem. I called my ISP and they are sending a technician out to check if the issue is on their side. Will give an update after. Thanks.
It's worth checking. I had intermittent issues for quite some time. Xfinity continually denied that it had anything to do with them. Finally my Internet access failed completely. I got a replacement cable modem at that point but it didn't help. After continued attempts to blame my equipment they finally sent a technician out. Luckily the guy was very competent and found the issue was with their components in the infrastructure cabling etc outside my home. After replacing the defective parts and some aging connectors for good measure, all was well. But I had to endure quite a long period of flakey connectivity and finally a complete outage to get there.

Last edited:
The tech came in yesterday and checked the line and signal outside and inside the house. The signal was good but he replaced the modem(same Model as before). Two potential issues ruled out there.

If these changes don't do it, then I may have to RMA the router.

I may have narrowed this down to an intel card - 8265. The driver version is higher than what is suggested below (20.70.0)

but still seems to be causing the disruption for other devices connected to the network.

I disabled the wireless card, connected a netgear adapter instead and have all the devices on wifi now. No issues since this morning. Fingers crossed....

I may have narrowed this down to an intel card - 8265. The driver version is higher than what is suggested below (20.70.0)

but still seems to be causing the disruption for other devices connected to the network.

I disabled the wireless card, connected a netgear adapter instead and have all the devices on wifi now. No issues since this morning. Fingers crossed....
Intel lists the current driver for that card as 22.120.1. https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...i-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html

But in the link I posted above - it says version 20.70.0 or above and I assumed the issue was fixed for all versions above that. So, does it mean the issue was fixed for one version and then went bad again with another version? If so, how do we know which version works for a particular router or not? It seems to me that ASUS needs to fix this issue once and for all. It would be a shame if people move away from this router because of these silly issues

But in the link I posted above - it says version 20.70.0 or above and I assumed the issue was fixed for all versions above that.
Correct. But no-one can predict future bugs.

So, does it mean the issue was fixed for one version and then went bad again with another version? If so, how do we know which version works for a particular router or not?
It was you that stated you thought there was a problem with the driver version you had installed.

It seems to me that ASUS needs to fix this issue once and for all. It would be a shame if people move away from this router because of these silly issues
This is not a router issue. It was a compatibility issue in the old Intel driver. Asus even includes a separate piece of paper in the box telling users to update their driver and showing them how to do it.

It was you that stated you thought there was a problem with the driver version you had installed.
Correct. 6 hours of non-stop meetings after I stopped using that card and no interruptions.

1649107552036.png

The "Compatibility issue" with the old intel driver messed me up(as it probably is messing up many others). I did look at the driver version and compared to the above link. Once I saw that the driver version was above what was recommended by Asus, I thought it was good. At the very least, the documentation should have been updated.

Anyways, thanks to the forum and all the gurus who supported me through this issue. Appreciate the help and it finally looks to be resolved.

This is not a router issue. It was a compatibility issue in the old Intel driver. Asus even includes a separate piece of paper in the box telling users to update their driver and showing them how to do it.
Doesn't look like I had that paper in my box. I bought mine right at the end of 2021. Either way, it looks to be documented on the Asus web site. I haven't experienced any noticeable compatibility issues.

At the very least, the documentation should have been updated.
From my history with documentation, I'd say the right way for Asus to handle it would be documentation in the box pointing to online resources that can be added to, corrected and updated as needed. I don't believe that it's realistic to keep up to date printed technical documentation for all potential issues in the boxes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!