What's new

RT AX86U Gaming Port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
So Lan port 1 is the Gaming port. How does the AX86U need to be configured to be aware that the port is being used and to prioritize it for gaming? Are there multiple ways, or just one configuration?

No one knows what this Gaming Port does. Some sort of Broadcom marketing transferred to Asus. I've never seen anyone here on SNB Forums sharing any real benefits of using the Gaming Port vs any other LAN port available. There is no configuration. If you are a gamer - test it and share the findings.

I've used the port before but maybe I didn't have something configured right, shugs. Didn't seem to do any magic and I don't have the technical know how to verify if it indeed helps.

Thanks for the reply

Huh... ok, so I just got my AX86U (replacing an AC68R) and I connected my WAN cable to that left-most RJ45 port.

The manual is very unclear about what port does what. But, my internet is working, the router is routing, etc... at least I believe it's all working, since all the devices are working. I figured I wanted to connect my fiber ONT RJ45 to the 2.5G port, so that's what I did.

I see the quick-start guide says to connect it to the WAN port (the blue one, second from left)... I will change it now. But it's funny that everything works when connected to the green port (first RJ45 on the left).

Ok, I tried moving it to the blue port, but then the router GUI says there is no internet at all. Huh?!

Some general discussion at the following link with some portions quoted below:
“Gaming Port” on Gaming Routers: How to Configure It

The objective of this gaming port is to automatically prioritize the traffic of the device you connect , if you connect a PC, a console or any other device, its local network and Internet traffic will have priority over the rest, unless you have specifically configured the QoS to prioritize other traffic at the packet type level. When we have a router with a “Gaming Port”, it is not necessary to carry out any additional configuration in the firmware, as is the case with ASUS routers.
A very important detail that we must mention is that, if you activate other functionalities in the router such as Link Aggregation with the LAN 1 and LAN 2 ports, the Gaming Port port will behave like a normal port, it will not give priority of any kind to the device. that we connect. That is, if we have this LAN 1 port being “occupied” by other than the default functionality, the Gaming Port will be disabled. In these cases, if we want to enable Link Aggregation to connect a NAS server and have a bandwidth of 2Gbps Full Duplex, then you will have to dispense with this functionality.
In ASUS routers this functionality is activated by default, therefore, any device that we connect to this port, and without having to perform any additional configuration in the firmware, will have the highest priority, without configurations. It is very important that you do not use this LAN 1 port as Link Aggregation, and you cannot even use it as a WAN Aggregation that ASUS has recently incorporated, that is, it must have the default configuration.

Edit to add: A youtube video discussing the gaming port. Featuring JJ from ASUS.

Some general discussion at the following link with some portions quoted below:
“Gaming Port” on Gaming Routers: How to Configure It

The objective of this gaming port is to automatically prioritize the traffic of the device you connect , if you connect a PC, a console or any other device, its local network and Internet traffic will have priority over the rest, unless you have specifically configured the QoS to prioritize other traffic at the packet type level. When we have a router with a “Gaming Port”, it is not necessary to carry out any additional configuration in the firmware, as is the case with ASUS routers.
A very important detail that we must mention is that, if you activate other functionalities in the router such as Link Aggregation with the LAN 1 and LAN 2 ports, the Gaming Port port will behave like a normal port, it will not give priority of any kind to the device. that we connect. That is, if we have this LAN 1 port being “occupied” by other than the default functionality, the Gaming Port will be disabled. In these cases, if we want to enable Link Aggregation to connect a NAS server and have a bandwidth of 2Gbps Full Duplex, then you will have to dispense with this functionality.
In ASUS routers this functionality is activated by default, therefore, any device that we connect to this port, and without having to perform any additional configuration in the firmware, will have the highest priority, without configurations. It is very important that you do not use this LAN 1 port as Link Aggregation, and you cannot even use it as a WAN Aggregation that ASUS has recently incorporated, that is, it must have the default configuration.

Edit to add: A youtube video discussing the gaming port. Featuring JJ from ASUS.

Yeah, I figured if I did Link Aggregation, that these two would work together. But I have that turned off, so why is my WAN working on this 2.5G port, and NOT on the blue WAN port (at least according to what the manual suggests).

As for the prioritization on the gaming port, does that mean that QOS has to be turned on for that behavior to happen? So, if it's off, as I have it, then it's not prioritized?

Some general discussion

Copy/paste of the marketing claims. Has anyone actually seen any prioritization on the Gaming Port though?

so why is my WAN working on this 2.5G port, and NOT on the blue WAN port

It's either WAN port or 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port- not both at the same time. Check your settings in WAN menu:

1677284903471.png

This is unrelated to the Gaming Port discussed above.

It's either WAN port or 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port- not both at the same time. Check your settings in WAN menu:

View attachment 48169

This is unrelated to the Gaming Port discussed above.

Yes, you are correct, I did set 2.5G WAN. Does this mean that if I disable that then it becomes a 2.5G LAN port instead? (Yes, I looked at the manual, and all it says is that it supports 2.5G... not whether its LAN or WAN or configurable. (I could probably use the standard WAN port since my service is 500M anyway... but if the 2.5G port doesn't become LAN then it really doesn't matter either way...)

Ahh, ok, I thought the 2.5G was the gaming port... I now see it's not. Bringing this back to topic, I did ask if QOS is required for the "Gaming Port" to do its thing... does anyone know?

Yes, you are correct, I did set 2.5G WAN. Does this mean that if I disable that then it becomes a 2.5G LAN port instead? (Yes, I looked at the manual, and all it says is that it supports 2.5G... not whether its LAN or WAN or configurable. (I could probably use the standard WAN port since my service is 500M anyway... but if the 2.5G port doesn't become LAN then it really doesn't matter either way...)

Ahh, ok, I thought the 2.5G was the gaming port... I now see it's not. Bringing this back to topic, I did ask if QOS is required for the "Gaming Port" to do its thing... does anyone know?

From what I can see it is similar to an Ooma box where it has some hardcoded QOS built in that you can't even access or configure. But if you enable any of several features, it disables that functionality and becomes a normal port. With the internet speeds these days, if anything QOS may hurt rather than help (and if anything like the Ooma, it didn't work that well anyway).

Pretty much just some hype to get you to spend extra on a colorful "gaming" router..... I'd say ignore it and use the ports for what you need, rather than worrying about losing some unknown and possibly useless benefit.

It's quite easy to check, connect a laptop to the gaming port and run a speed test on the laptop while also running a speed test on a device on another port. The "Game port" device gets almost all the bandwidth which it doesn't of both devices are on the regular ports.

It's quite easy to check, connect a laptop to the gaming port and run a speed test on the laptop while also running a speed test on a device on another port. The "Game port" device gets almost all the bandwidth which it doesn't of both devices are on the regular ports.

In reality you'll probably see about 80% speed (when you total the two together) since QOS itself is imperfect and QOS in this lower end hardware is even more limited. When you saturate the line, unless you have very well tuned QOS and a really good QOS deployment, you're going to have packet loss and retransmissions regardless.

So single device you might see 500 megs (for example, depending on your internet speed obviously).
Two devices on equal ports you might see 200-225 per device and it will fluctuate
Two devices where one port is prioritized you might see like 400 and 50 or 300 and 100. Or you may see exactly the same as above and it turns out to be a total gimmick

Oh boy, you amateurs.
Everyone knows that you run RGB control software on your PC and MUST get the router LEDs to slowly do a rainbow if you want the best latency and ping rates. It goes without saying that you also use special cables between the gaming machine and the router. I'd recommend these:

Yes particle acceleration does require a steady and stable energy pattern.

Man that's sad, Audioquest was always overpriced but they were actually ok and did actually have some decent specs so it could sort of be justified (more so than Monster). That is absolutely ridiculous.

I cant wait for AI QoS. I'm sure some marketing department is working furiously right now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!