What's new

RT AX86U Gaming Port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oh boy, you amateurs.
Everyone knows that you run RGB control software on your PC and MUST get the router LEDs to slowly do a rainbow if you want the best latency and ping rates. It goes without saying that you also use special cables between the gaming machine and the router. I'd recommend these:

Sad thing is that cable is probably still CCA not even solid.

I mean I've seen some people spend crazy money on stereo and TV cables, I remember one speaker wire that was made out of silver that was like $500 for a pair of 6 footers, then there was the whole oxygen free copper thing, etc etc. At least then you can kind of tell yourself maybe there is an actual difference. A 2.5 foot ethernet patch cord, there is no possible way to justify it. Just like people spending huge money on HDMI cables at best buy, when that freebie your cable company gives you transmits the exact same 1's and 0's. That's probably where Audioquest got the idea, they were selling a 3 foot HDMI cable at bestbuy for $150 a while back and I couldn't believe it. Then I saw someone pick one up and buy it with their TV, of course at the salesman's recommendation for best picture quality.

I remember people spending a fortune for tube amplifiers just because they are some brand name and rare. The way they distort the sound can be recreated 1:1 with DSP processor and linear bridge power amplifier with much higher output than what a transformer in tube amp can achieve. I can actually do it in my lab from sample recording to final product with few hundred watt per channel. May call it AiAmplifier... ;)

Last edited:
I remember people spending a fortune for tube amplifiers just because they are some brand name and rare. The way they distort the sound can be recreated 1:1 with DSP processor and linear bridge power amplifier with much higher output than what a transformer in tube amp can achieve. I can actually do it in my lab from sample recording to final product with few hundred watt per channel. May call it AiAmplifier... ;)

Tube amps have their place, but 90% of them were (and still are) just playing off the hype. A few good ones do exist, but their usefulness is limited to specific types of music over specific types of very efficient speakers (or as part of a guitar head preamp, very popular there). Personally I can see a purpose for them in a preamp stage only where not much actual amplification is needed.

There are some out there that are extremely expensive and shiny and the big tubes stick out of the chrome top and even glow, but the tubes are connected to nothing but a small amount of power to create the glow, no actual amplification, they're just light bulbs. It is just a solid state amp inside. Lots of suckers in the audiophile crowd. And when that light bulb burns out they charge you like $100 for a new "tube".

McIntosh was one of the big tube amp companies, and they were good, but right next to it was their big solid state amp that sounded 10x better and could drive any speaker you could throw at it. Kinda should have probably put them on opposite sides of the store without the ability to easily A/B them. I do love McIntosh solid state gear but only if I can find a good used unit at a fraction of the retail price.

A few good ones do exist

1677385254014.png

Yeah the Italians are insane, for 600k it should not look like some boy scout merit badge project. If I was a billionaire, I'd take a pair of Krell's highest end monobocks for half that price over that thing any day. But I guess they need something to match the old ugly wedge shaped Lamborghinis. Honestly I think that one pictured is the only one in existence and nobody has ever actually bought one, that is the only picture I've ever seen of it in many many publications over the years, basically a "proof of concept". Proof of the concept that you could make people drool over something they've never even heard and may not actually even work.

The shiny metal plates must made of 10mm thick solid gold.

View attachment 48194

Well at least that is a much better picture, you'd think they'd have submitted something better to the magazines. They have 2 amps, neither has ever been sold as far as I know, they were just for prestige. Magazine fodder. Pretty sure it is just polished brass on the outside, and solid copper bus bars (no wires) on the inside. Maybe its worth $50k, who knows. Not $500k+, cmon.

Now if you want to talk about insanity, look at Gateway Mastering in Portland, ME. Bob Ludwig is one of the best audio engineers in the world and masters audio for some of the biggest bands and movies.
Custom made Eggleston speakers designed to his specs, ~800lbs each. They now sell similar (but not exact) speakers for $167,000 to the "general public" by special order. I think that is per speaker.
Each sits on concrete pillars that go all the way down to bedrock (well, don't have to go far to hit bedrock in Maine) to eliminate any vibration and resonance, and there is sound deadening between the pillars and the floor for total isolation.
Speakers are on sharp spikes to minimize the contact with that already non-resonant concrete
Whole floor is floating on top of sound deadening material, walls are sound deadened and angled to prevent standing waves and focus the sound toward the booth.
Amps (2 stacks Cello MK II amps, I think 6 or 8 at 4000 watts each) are behind inch thick bulletproof glass to keep them as close as possible to the speakers but silence the fan noise and electronics hum
Whole studio runs off battery power into their own AC inverters to isolate from crappy grid AC power interference.
Then his board is an old school classic, relatively low tech, I believe with tube preamps (again, I do believe in tubes in the preamp stage). I believe he finally had it overhauled 5 or 10 years ago with some more modern visuals (replaced the analog meters) to account for having to master for digital music that was going to be compressed and had to have more control over peaks and normalization, but it is still pretty no frills compared to what you'll see at most places.

He says you can put your ears up to the tweeters when they are at full volume with no input and they are completely silent as if everything is powered off.

And you know what, for the million+ he spent on that one room, it probably sounds like a million dollars. I'd trust a renowned audio engineer over some magazine fanboy any day of the week.

He added the smaller 3rd Eggleston in the middle (plus more in the back) and more amps and TV for doing surround sound stuff but that's not the bread and butter, stereo is. Would love to spend a day there listening to some good uncompressed master audio.

LudwigStudio3RS.jpg

OK maybe getting a bit off topic......

argo5z6_460s.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!