What's new

RT-AX86U issue with intel AX210 on 5ghz band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's really odd to see those numbers. When I tested a bunch of different Cell MVNO options I ran across one carrier that was lopsided like this where the DL was abysmal and the UL was 20-30mbps. I even went to a store and stuck the sim in another phone to see if it was the service or the phone being the issue....well, i still have the phone and on another carrier getting 600/100 speeds.

Network channel: 64
You should be using a lower channel here. Using a DFS channel WILL cause issues as your primary channel. 36 / 40 / 44 are more ideal or if you want to shoot for the high end over 140. Also looking at the link rate you're configure for 80mhz and it should get close to ~600mbps but, if you have the option to do 160mhz you can get closer to 1gbps.

Hello,

I recently upgraded my motherboard to MSI 690 tomahawk which has an intel AX210 card.

I have an Asus RT-AX86U router, with a gigabit fiber connection. Latest Merlin 386.4

On 5 GHZ band my download speeds are between 0.1-30 Mbps and upload speed is 650-720 Mbps. I went through all old AX210 drivers - no change
I have tried all the possible settings in my router:
1. Wireless Mode AX only, N/AC/AX mixed, Auto
2. Channel bandwidth 160 Mhz, 20/40/80/160, 20, 40, 80.
3. Control channel Auto with auto select DFS channels, when i manually set channel 100, the download seems stable to 120-130 Mbps and upload 200 Mbps. - but it's still very far away from how it should perform.
all combinations of the above.
4. I tried changing the wifi antennas of the ax210 card - same result.

On 2.4 ghz band, i get 80 Mbps download and 85 upload - speed is normal compared with other devices in the same room.
On 5 ghz band, other devices, in the same room, 1 inch closer to pc have download speeds between 500-600 and upload speeds between 600-650. Even laptops with AX201 wifi card.
Now, the logic tells me it's not routers fault but OS/motherboard/AX210/ AX210's antennas. However, setting the channel manually in router gives better results only for this AX210 card, which i find it weird.

Has anyone encountered this weird situation with AX86U and AX210 cards?

Thanks,
I don't think that is your motherboard issue. One of my PC has ASUS APEX which has on-board AX210 too. I don't use it at all. I've disabled it. Because on-board NIC makes a lot of issues. I never use on-board NIC. However there was no speed issue when I tested it with AX86U and AX88U. Maybe your Windows, Driver, WiFi channel or configuration issue? Have you turned off AiProtection?

Last edited:
I have two high-end Lenovo laptops with either an AX200 or AX210 adapters, with my RT-AX88 router running the latest Merlin firmware I was experiencing totally crappy speeds., even when the laptop sits at 6ft in direct sight from the router. What worked for me is downgrading the drivers to a version 22.20.0.6 from the Microsoft update catalog. With these drivers i get 2204/2204 Mbps all the time.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!