What's new

RT-AX86U keeps losing 5Ghz only on desktop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Buldozerx

Occasional Visitor
My desktop PC keeps losing the 5Ghz on my desktop PC. On my phone and other clients it's working. I can solve this be resetting or troubleshooting my 5Ghz band trough Windows, but it will lose signal after a while. Everything is Wi-Fi 6. The signal is good.

Speed is perfect when working. I've selected a high channel after scanning with WiFi Analyzer.

I've updated the Intel and Asus drivers.

I had this on the same router and on an AC68U also.

Try disabling beamforming in ...wireles -> professional.

Hi, I have the same problem. It seems to have started a few days after the latest FirmWare release, but it doesnt only affect my Desktop it affects the mobile phones, smartbox etc. I had to configure them to use the 2.4GHz band insteaad of the 5GHz.. Must be a bug in the latest firmware.

Can you confirm if you also use the firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9318

Have the exact same problem on 2013 Macbook Pro that uses a 802.11ac 5Ghz connection. I do have all the AX options turned on to take advantage on other devices. Using latest firmware 9318.

It must be a firmware issue, we also have games lagging. Mobile phone not connecting to the 5GHz band and dropping. For all the devices that suddenly started to have connectivity issues I changed them to use the 2.4GHz band, and they work very stable on that (despite the neighborhoods routers interfering in that band).

Asus when will you give us a stable and updated firmware?

I'm having issues the past few weeks with the 5ghz band just disappearing on my RT-AX88U (I'm on 384.19)... I tried disabling ax (only our phones have it so no biggie), but that hasn't helped... A reboot of the router usually brings it back (pulling the power for 2 minutes), but sometimes I have to do that twice to get 5ghz to kick back alive

Last edited:
Hi, I have the same problem. It seems to have started a few days after the latest FirmWare release, but it doesnt only affect my Desktop it affects the mobile phones, smartbox etc. I had to configure them to use the 2.4GHz band insteaad of the 5GHz.. Must be a bug in the latest firmware.

Can you confirm if you also use the firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9318

I do.

I noticed in the System log my laptop mac address was getting "deauth" and disconnected exactly every hour. I believe this was because the Group Key Rotation Interval was set to 3600 seconds, which I have now set to 0.

I'm having issues the past few weeks with the 5ghz band just disappearing on my RT-AX88U (I'm on 384.19)... I tried disabling ax (only our phones have it so no biggie), but that hasn't helped... A reboot of modem usually brings it back (pulling the power for 2 minutes), but sometimes I have to do that twice to get 5ghz to kick back alive
I am exactly the same, only certain devices drop off the network and it seems only a reboot will bring everything back online.

I am exactly the same, only certain devices drop off the network and it seems only a reboot will bring everything back online.

After having issues every 1-2 days, I disabled beam forming and MIMO as suggested above, now 7 days later with no reboots needed... well, not exactly true... later that day after making that change it happened again, but I realized I never did a reboot after making the change initially... after a reboot, draining power for 5 minutes, powering up, I've been good for a week now, and not noticing any speed or range difference... kind of want to do a reboot now just out of habit, but I aint touching this right now :)

Well after a full reset and 5 days with everything OK, my laptop decided to keep dropping the connection. It said it was connected to the wifi, but said the internet was not available.
Rebooting the laptop just meant I got my wifi connection back for 5 or 10 mins, running the Windows troubleshooter did not make any difference.
A reboot of the router fixed the problem and I am now back working as normal.

Still no idea how I can fix this ongoing issue.

Anyone got any ideas on this, a new laptop the same problem, always is the default gateway becomes unavailable.

I can ping anything else on my local network, but the router will not route traffic to the default gateway on 5Ghz networks.

This sucks,, I reboot the WiFi the 5GHz works for 1-2 days then it disconnected again those devices that are connected on the 5GHz band.

Interesting, my wife was complaining about her work laptop disconnecting for 10-15 seconds several times throughout the day as well, but I didn't believe that it was the router since ALL my other 5Ghz devices were staying connected fine.

This is good to know, I will keep an eye on it and try some of the settings changes suggested.

I'll check if there's anything on the client device(her laptop) that I can change on the NIC as well, it's odd that a newish laptop would have trouble but older 5Ghz devices would be fine.

I connected all my devices to the 2.4GHz band and they have not had an issue ever since. I rather actually roll back the firmware but can't find the old one that worked fine when using the 5GHZ band..which is what people should use to avoid interference from other nearby WiFi, plus speed is better. I really don't want to change any settings suggested...will wait for the updates firmware

I connected all my devices to the 2.4GHz band and they have not had an issue ever since. I rather actually roll back the firmware but can't find the old one that worked fine when using the 5GHZ band..which is what people should use to avoid interference from other nearby WiFi, plus speed is better. I really don't want to change any settings suggested...will wait for the updates firmware

Yes, the 2.4GHz do seem to work OK, but I purchased the router to get the speed for my AX type devices, would be a bit mad to drop the speed down.

Surely there is a fix there for this. Every time I raise an issue to ASUS, all I ever get from their support desk is, "there must be a hardware error, please return the router to us for checking"
I have had the same reply from them for 3 different routers, 3 different models, so I am sure its not a hardware problem.

Yes, the 2.4GHz do seem to work OK, but I purchased the router to get the speed for my AX type devices, would be a bit mad to drop the speed down.

Surely there is a fix there for this. Every time I raise an issue to ASUS, all I ever get from their support desk is, "there must be a hardware error, please return the router to us for checking"
I have had the same reply from them for 3 different routers, 3 different models, so I am sure its not a hardware problem.
That sucks man., I had an Asus a few years ago and promised myself to not buy one again, but what did I do? I broke that promise to myself and ended up with another bad situation. The reason I made that promise is that everytime there was a firmware update (which also happens on this router) it slows down the whole system so that a reboot is required or a FW upgrade. If you reboot without doing the FW update it gets slowed down again, so basically the found a way to force people to upgrade to latest Firmwares... anyway, this is really shirte... I hope they fix this for once now, otherwise I will never ever again be an Asus routher. I have 500Mbit internet (fiber) at my home and I would like to leverage the full speed and the low latency that the 5GHz band is suppose to give us...

Just chiming in with a 'me too' on 9313 firmware, I had just updated 2 days ago and sure enough my laptop been saying 'dns' issues even though there was no issue with DNS as far as I could tell, checked router logs and saw a lot of this:

Dec 12 05:23:56 hostapd: eth7: STA [REDACTED MAC] WPA: group key handshake failed (RSN) after 4 tries
Dec 12 05:23:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth7: Deauth_ind [REDACTED MAC], status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Dec 12 05:23:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth7: Deauth_ind [REDACTED MAC], status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 12 05:23:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth7: Deauth_ind [REDACTED MAC], status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 12 05:23:58 hostapd: eth7: STA [REDACTED MAC] IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Dec 12 05:23:59 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth7: Deauth_ind [REDACTED MAC], status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)
Dec 12 05:23:59 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth7: Deauth_ind [REDACTED MAC], status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7)

Pasting this in here for google crawlers so people see this is an issue with 9313 firmware on the ax86u.

To add this seemed to effect 2.4GHz too for me at least, though it could have just been network change and me being too impatient. In any event rolling back to 9298 fixed everything, which you can manually do by going to https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/ and then downloading and unzipping the zip and then manually uploading the firmware. Hope this helps someone, from release notes it does not seem that 9313 firmware had any security updates so I see no harm in rolling it back to the previous version until this gets fixed.

Hi, I just noticed my bandwidth was slow for a few days.. 100MBit instead of 500Mbit,, rebooted the Asus router, and sure enough, there is a FirmWare update.
Had anyone dared to upgrade?? Oh what the heck, I will do it..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!