What's new

RT-AX86U Maxed out CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hypex

New Around Here
I updated my firmware (386.3_2) about 2-3 days ago and didnt pay any more attention to the router, however today when i tried to access the router page, all CPU cores are maxed out:
1634835771647.png

Not sure whats going on.

EDIT: Here's my settings file: https://puu.sh/IjQOo/b62ec74dbe.CFG

Last edited:
A settings file is useless to share.

Have you rebooted the router and waited for another 10 to 15 minutes afterward since upgrading?

:)

Have you tried it, yet?

Login via ssh and run top. Once top opens, hit the number 1 key to get a per CPU breakdown. Post a screenshot of that output (CPUs and process list).

Login via ssh and run top. Once top opens, hit the number 1 key to get a per CPU breakdown. Post a screenshot of that output (CPUs and process list).
Even though i've enabled the SSH, i still get connection refused when trying to login to it via putty.

:)

Have you tried it, yet?
I'm waiting till the afternoon when everyone stops using the internet (work meetings) so i can restart it

That looks nasty. What is plugged into your router USB ports?

Try running service restart_samba and see what happens.
Woah. After running the command all core usage dropped to 0-1%.

I have a powered off old storage drive (Has its own power source and everything). I'm surprised it was doing anything to the router since it was completly cut from power, but i'll disconnect it.
Top looks like normal now:
1634850040975.png

Fair to mention, i also connected this drive to the router about the same time as the firmware upgrade so it could be coincidential with the firmware upgrade.

Attachments

• 1634850026309.png
    1634850026309.png
    534.4 KB · Views: 106
I suggest all USB drives are at the very least dismounted/Safely Removed before flashing new firmware.

I suggest two reboots after flashing new firmware or at least one reboot after making any significant changes to the settings.

The first is at 15 minutes (or more) after the router has booted up. The second after an additional hour (or more) has passed. You should be checking that all network systems (including the router itself) are fully operational/normal after both reboots. Including any and all scripts you may have chosen to use.

With the above 'best practices', this wouldn't have been an issue for you today (it would have been 'solved' 3 days ago).

Myself, I would still be performing a reboot now and checking if the network/router behaves as it should after the router has been left to settle down for 10 to 15 minutes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!