What's new

RT-AX86U Need advice (Very new to the world of routers)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MorrisZ

New Around Here
Hey!

very new to the world of ASUS routers. Virgin media WiFi was not cutting it at all in the bedroom(in a flat and the wall between the living room and bedroom hit the signal hard)

brought a RT-AX86U as per the reviews saying how good it is. (Also brought a RT-AX88U but deciding if to set it up and return the 86 as what I have read the 88 there isn’t much change except stronger 2.4)

set it up with Merlin and haven’t messed with much.

currently on a 108/10 plan with virgin media we use two ps5s and two iPhones mainly (one console plugged into the ‘game port’)

my questions are:

- Should I be using CakeQos?

- Anything I should be changing or messing with at all?

- Currently have smart connect on as it’s a pain sometimes to hop between both. When all that’s on it is mobiles

- Running a cat 7 cable from virgin modem to ASUS router should I be using the 2.5 port at all or can I use it for my PS5 (still baffled what that port does)

any help is appreciated as you can tell very new. Have searched the forums some makes sense some does not.

Hey!

very new to the world of ASUS routers. Virgin media WiFi was not cutting it at all in the bedroom(in a flat and the wall between the living room and bedroom hit the signal hard)

brought a RT-AX86U as per the reviews saying how good it is. (Also brought a RT-AX88U but deciding if to set it up and return the 86 as what I have read the 88 there isn’t much change except stronger 2.4)

set it up with Merlin and haven’t messed with much.

currently on a 108/10 plan with virgin media we use two ps5s and two iPhones mainly (one console plugged into the ‘game port’)

my questions are:

- Should I be using CakeQos?

- Anything I should be changing or messing with at all?

- Currently have smart connect on as it’s a pain sometimes to hop between both. When all that’s on it is mobiles

- Running a cat 7 cable from virgin modem to ASUS router should I be using the 2.5 port at all or can I use it for my PS5 (still baffled what that port does)

any help is appreciated as you can tell very new. Have searched the forums some makes sense some does not.

The AX86U should suit you fine.

Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin should suit you fine. Reset the firmware before you configure it.

Use your new network for awhile before deciding if you need to add anything. Keeps it simple and easier to manage.

My install notes suggest a basic configuration (for AC WiFi but you can adjust for your AX router).

OE

The AX86U should suit you fine.

Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin should suit you fine. Reset the firmware before you configure it.

Use your new network for awhile before deciding if you need to add anything. Keeps it simple and easier to manage.

My install notes suggest a basic configuration (for AC WiFi but you can adjust for your AX router).

OE

reset the firmware before I configure it. Can you put that in new person terms haha!

I got the router. Set it up let it do it’s firmware update I then added merlin via the manual step.

so what should I do next?

sorry for the hassle just want to make sure I’m doing things right

reset the firmware before I configure it. Can you put that in new person terms haha!

I got the router. Set it up let it do it’s firmware update I then added merlin via the manual step.

so what should I do next?

sorry for the hassle just want to make sure I’m doing things right

Read the link I posted. It explains resetting the firmware. I prefer to use the router webUI Restore w/Initialize method.

OE

@MorrisZ welcome to the forums!

You may find the following helpful.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!