What's new

RT-AX86U - Regular dropouts - Investigation of...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SirThomas

New Around Here
Hello chaps!

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction - I'm seeing regular drops (normally, but not always, around the same time). Wireless dies and the whole router seemingly restarts itself and all processes.

Issues occurred before and after the recent 388.01 update. So having factory resetted for that process, I'm satisfied that it's nothing directly related to this.
The problem is, there are so many differing errors, I'm struggling to find what the root cause is! Does anything particularly obvious stick out to anyone?

I've added the most recent log as a text file (won't let me add as a spoiler/code) - Starting from the last 'normal' entry until it's back up.
'DYING GASP' sounds especially ominous :D

Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

• log.txt
    33.5 KB · Views: 43
What router? What scripts (if any) are you using on it? What options and features past defaults have you enabled? Are you using a VPN?

Have you tried a good/known power supply? Is the router on a quality UPS? Are you running AiMesh nodes (wired/wireless)?

How many devices do you have connected to the router?

Do you live close to an Airport and/or Weather station (and you're also using DFS channels)?

Please provide much more information than what you have already.

Go to System Log - General Log and change "Log only messages more urgent than" to "all". Then post the complete log the next time it happens.

Issues occurred before and after the recent 388.01 update.

What firmware were you running before? Was it Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2? I've lost days in testing in an attempt to find good working firmware for this router. Dozens of resets and reboots in the process. Even found some quicker ways to assess Wi-Fi stability without leaving it running for a long time. Some may disagree, but to stabilize the network use temporary Asuswrt 386_49599 or Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 and wait for better firmware. My AX86U is parked on the shelf waiting for better days. Advice to reset doesn't help. It may help only temporary and issues start again.

I just reverted my AX86U to 386.5_2 today, 388 was causing constant random dropouts. Solid as a rock back on 386.5_2 so far

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!