What's new

RT-AX86u Slow upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stbrown

New Around Here
Hi

I have had the Ax86u for a few weeks now and I think im having an issue with upload speed. Im on 500/500 fibre and when running speed tests from my hard wired desktop I get the expected download of around 470-490 but my upload is slower going from 250-370. If I take the router out and connect the desktop directly it gets the expected 480/480 ish speeds

I have tried the official firmware from Oct, the new one from a few days ago and also a few of the Merlin beta (doing full factory resets in between and not restoring settings).

Has anyone else had this issue? I have it pretty much at stock settings, unless its enabled by default i dont have QoS or Ai protection that I can see. The only thing I have modified is the LAN IP range to 192.168.1.x and made IP reservations for my desktop.

My old Apple time capsule was able to get the proper upload speeds so I cant figure it out

Thanks!

Unplug your modem/ONT for at least 20 minutes and see if that 'resets' your connection with your ISP and the RT-AX86U for you.

Hi

The Fibre my condo uses doesnt have a modem. I think each floor has networking equipment that goes down to the comm room. I just tested again with my desktop directly connected. Worked perfectly.

Once I go back to the router my upload is now around 30-80mbps on wired or wifi. Very strange and I cant think what would cause it

Then try cloning the MAC address of the desktop to the router.

Didnt have any effect...but I did try my work laptop hardwired without the router for another test and it also has the same issue as the router. It seems that only the desktop can get full speed. Doesnt make sense as the laptop also has a intel 1000 card but maybe it isnt the router causing the issue

Maybe i will dig out my old router and try it again to verify speeds

Call the ISP and/or the landlord and tell them to reset the connection when your RT-AX86U router is plugged into their system.

I had a support call with my ISP and we are able to get all wired devices (Desktop, laptop and my old Apple Time capsule. My laptop just needed a network card driver update) working at full speed. But once we use the 86u it doesnt get full upload speed.

Maybe its just a bad router as I haven't seen anyone else report upload issues. I will contact Asus support

Just a further note, I added my Apple router in front of the Asus as a switch and it increased the speeds to almost full, Its still faster using the apple router on its own but the speeds the upload speeds went from 30-80 to over 200 on fast.com with the apple router in front

Did you ever figure out the issue?

Did you ever figure out the issue?

Nope. I ended up putting an EdgeRouter X as my router, connected all my hard wired connections to that along with the AX86U and I just use it as an access point only.

I havent tested the latest firmware with it being in router mode but I have a feeling it would be the same. With my desktop hardwired to the EdgeRouter it now gets full upload speed

I dont know if the router has problems or it doesnt like my ISPs hardware that it connects to (no modem, as far as i know it just connects to switches on the floor of my condo)

Nope. I ended up putting an EdgeRouter X as my router, connected all my hard wired connections to that along with the AX86U and I just use it as an access point only.

I havent tested the latest firmware with it being in router mode but I have a feeling it would be the same. With my desktop hardwired to the EdgeRouter it now gets full upload speed

I dont know if the router has problems or it doesnt like my ISPs hardware that it connects to (no modem, as far as i know it just connects to switches on the floor of my condo)
This doesn't sound right. What WAN port did you use? ... The 1Gb WAN port is preferred for more compatibility.

You don't know the hardware configuration of your ISP's equipment? That sounds problematic too. There could be a problem with your settings. Maybe you had the AX86U running in a Double NAT setup.

I used the standard WAN port and also tried using one of the LAN ports as a WAN and both provided the same results.

I asked my provider (Fibrestream.ca) but they wont provide details on the manufacturer or which equipment they use except each floor in the building have switches that feed down to the communications room on the ground floor

I dont think its Double NAT, we do have external IP addresses from this provider form their DHCP server. If I use my old Apple Timecapsule or this edge router X as the main router then all my speeds are as expected close to my 500/500 speeds. Once the AX86U is the router, upload speeds drop about half.

I have seen a few people with this problem on other forums as well so it seems to only affect a select few and I think i remember someone else on the same ISP as me had the same issue.

Asus support was a waste of time so I just ended up leaving the edge router X as the router and turn off routing on the AX86u

I asked my provider (Fibrestream.ca) but they wont provide details on the manufacturer or which equipment they use except each floor in the building have switches that feed down to the communications room on the ground floor
This sounds like the real problem. It doesn't seem like a normal modem to router setup from an ISP. With all those switches on different floors it looks like it still could be a Double NAT type of configuration. Maybe it's designed for internet customers who don't want to plug in their own router but just plug and play their equipment into their Ethernet network.

Too many switches can cause issues too. Their multiple switches might not be interfacing properly with the Asus router's WAN port hardware. Similar kinds of issues can happen when too many switches or routers are used in LAN network. Knowing their equipment could help debug this situation but it doesn't look like they want to do that. The ISP tech support should have been able to help you with the information. Keep the forum updated on any more information you might get in the future.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!