What's new

RT-AX86U support for Asuswrt-Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dannykn9

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, am new to this forum, so please go easy :).
I’m about order the ax86u.
I currently have a Netgear 7000p, so am new to ASUS.
What I would like to know, is Merlin supporting this model?
Also I plan on using VPN, but only for a few devices, and the rest I’m happy to run through my ISP. So would it be possible to direct devices automatically to my ISP and set the other devices I have to use VPN.
I believe this achievable with the ac86u, but I’m hoping it is also with the upgraded model.
The WIFI 6 is appealing as I have a new MacBook Pro coming and iPhone 12.
Or would I better getting the older ac86u model.

thanks in advance guys.

Hi all, am new to this forum, so please go easy :).
I’m about order the ax86u.
I currently have a Netgear 7000p, so am new to ASUS.
What I would like to know, is Merlin supporting this model?
Also I plan on using VPN, but only for a few devices, and the rest I’m happy to run through my ISP. So would it be possible to direct devices automatically to my ISP and set the other devices I have to use VPN.
I believe this achievable with the ac86u, but I’m hoping it is also with the upgraded model.
The WIFI 6 is appealing as I have a new MacBook Pro coming and iPhone 12.
Or would I better getting the older ac86u model.

thanks in advance guys.

Re ax86u:

:)

Re ax86u:

:)
Hi mate, thanks for the link.
Yeah I have seen that, and seen there is only a Beta version for the AX86U, but really wanted to know if vpnfusion was now supported, as I couldn’t find anything.
I only saw an old post saying it is not.
My main use really, is for stronger WiFi, being able to connect my WIFI 6 devices, and only have about 3 devices (streaming boxes) to the vpn, and everything else direct via my isp.
Now I know the ac86u is capable of all of this accept for WIFI 6, and is fully supported with Merlin.
Would really like to know if the ax is now capable with Merlin, or is it better if with stock firmware as I believe it has vpnfusion?

many thanks

VPNfusion is a feature for gamers, I believe. It conflicts with certain Merlin features, and is therefore not supported.

VPNfusion is a feature for gamers, I believe. It conflicts with certain Merlin features, and is therefore not supported.
Ah ok, so I think I may be confusing myself then!
Is there still a setup then within stock or Merlin firmware for the rt-AX86U where I can set most devices to my main isp, and direct the few other devices to vpn (Nordvpn)??
My son has a PS5 which I know has WIFI 6.
He’s not at that age yet (only 10) where speeds make a difference, as the internet connection is quite solid and he never complains.

Thankyou guys for quick replies, I just need to know if the AX86U will suit my needs before I buy.

so basically this is what I want.
1. WIFI 6
2. VPN
3. Be able to direct most devices via ISP and and a couple of streaming boxes via VPN.
Will Merlin beta or stock firmware fulfil my needs?

thanks again, and much appreciated.

Ah ok, so I think I may be confusing myself then!
Is there still a setup then within stock or Merlin firmware for the rt-AX86U where I can set most devices to my main isp, and direct the few other devices to vpn (Nordvpn)??
My son has a PS5 which I know has WIFI 6.
He’s not at that age yet (only 10) where speeds make a difference, as the internet connection is quite solid and he never complains.

Thankyou guys for quick replies, I just need to know if the AX86U will suit my needs before I buy.

so basically this is what I want.
1. WIFI 6
2. VPN
3. Be able to direct most devices via ISP and and a couple of streaming boxes via VPN.
Will Merlin beta or stock firmware fulfil my needs?

thanks again, and much appreciated.
Sorry guys, but is policy routing the same a vpnfusion?
Does the AX86U support this feature, and is also built in to Merlin?
As I mentioned, I want the AX86U for WIFI 6
And to just run a couple devices through vpn and the rest through my isp.
Any help would be appreciated please

Its only support Instant Guard as changelog say:
- Instant Guard (new simple-to-configure mobile VPN client based on IPSEC)

if you only have a few devices, why not just setup nordvpn on the client side? I use expressvpn (for a few shields), its easier to just set it up on the shields, and then tell it what apps need to use the vpn

The Beta thread should be for feedback on Beta-related testing. Discussions on how to use Policy-Based routing does not belong in it, which is why I moved the posts to this new thread.

The Beta thread should be for feedback on Beta-related testing. Discussions on how to use Policy-Based routing does not belong in it, which is why I moved the posts to this new thread.
Again I apologies, new to forum so wasn’t sure.
Also Thankyou again for help n Twitter yesterday.
I ordered the AX86U and look forward to setting it up

@Dannykn9 - I understand what it’s like to be new, and know the learning curve you have to face. Your requirements are also pretty similar to mine.

What you are trying to do is possible, but not easy. This is the path you will need to follow if you want to use NordVPN.

If you want an easier option, you should take a look at Astrill VPN and their Router-based VPN applet. It’s what I use. It does exactly what you want from a GUI interface.

There are plenty of others here who can help, if you decide to take the other path.

@Dannykn9 - I understand what it’s like to be new, and know the learning curve you have to face. Your requirements are also pretty similar to mine.

What you are trying to do is possible, but not easy. This is the path you will need to follow if you want to use NordVPN.

If you want an easier option, you should take a look at Astrill VPN and their Router-based VPN applet. It’s what I use. It does exactly what you want from a GUI interface.

There are plenty of others here who can help, if you decide to take the other path.
Thanks mate, really appreciate the advice.
Think I’m gonna go with surfshark as has pretty good reviews.
Also am quite confident now of setting up the vpn through open client.
I just don’t really want extravpn boxes, so would rather make full use of the router.
As long as I can hit about 10mbs for my streaming boxes, then that should be fine through VPN.
All other devices such as iPhones, and laptops, I’ll install the vpn app and use direct.

Thanks again for your time.

Testing so far with an AX88U and an Aimesh node AC86U with no issue so far. VPN works great and my speeds are good.
Working from home is not impacted yet by running the latest github code ( 72b2a94f588e3196a2a5972c6bdf0b91d72c2aa8)

The AiMesh stuff is very stable for me. I have not had a problem with it with this latest code.

I just don’t really want extravpn boxes, so would rather make full use of the router.

No extra boxes required. It’s just a mini App that runs on your router and provides you with a GUI interface to configure your routing.

I use it to assign one SSID to local internet, and one SSID to the VPN tunnel, but you can also easily do it on a per device basis.

Anyway, your choice. Enjoy!

No extra boxes required. It’s just a mini App that runs on your router and provides you with a GUI interface to configure your routing.

I use it to assign one SSID to local internet, and one SSID to the VPN tunnel, but you can also easily do it on a per device basis.

Anyway, your choice. Enjoy!
Interesting.
Can they be added through Merlin firmware?
Is there any guides how to do this?

manny thanks

Interesting.

manny thanks
You can also consider YazFi which is available via amtm built into Merlin. Just run
Code:
amtm
When connected by SSH and install the scripts if your choosing

Interesting.

manny thanks

Once you join, there is an option to download Router Software. You need to enter your router’s LAN IP address, and it creates a command line string that you need to copy.

Then you log into your router via SSH and just paste the command line into the shell.

It downloads and installs it. Then you have an Astrill VPN tab in your Merlin GUI.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!