What's new

RT-AX86U to be discontinued?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AX86U needs a second 2.5GbE port as single big improvement. If the radios are new in Pro, the product needs re-certification. The process takes time and costs money. If Asus is willing to do it, the existing AX86U must have some serious issues. The firmware was delayed, there were bricked routers, new fixed firmware is spamming the syslog with diagnostic messages. And I have 15-day return option. :)

Last edited:
It will be very interesting to see what the Pro will have and at what price point.

I upgraded to the RT-AX86U (from my trusty RT-AC68P) about a month ago when I prepared for the switch to symmetrical Gig Fiber and it's working well both wired and wireless - but I am a bit disappointed on the CPU limitations:
The way AI Protection is single threaded actually maxes out the CPU before the connection:
I get about 1.4Gbps total throughput up and down with AI Protection enabled and CPU 1 pegged at 100%. With it disabled I get the expected a little over 1.8 Gbps total. In real world it won't make any difference for me but it dampens bragging rights ;)

I imagine clever software engineering on Asus side should be able to make AI Protection at least two-threaded so some of the up and down analysis can be spread across two cores - that would solve the issue but it will still fall short of actually using the 2.5Gbps port for full speed WAN....

Merlin and all the custom scripting still makes it a fantastic router at the current price point so no regrets...

but I am a bit disappointed on the CPU limitations

What do you expect from $250 AIO router? It's a Raspberry Pi like hardware with limited RAM, plus AX access point and 5-port switch. AiProtection is not true IDS/IPS. You need multi-core x86 i5 class or faster CPU, 4GB RAM or more and multi-threaded Suricata for true IDS/IPS on 2.5Gbps traffic.

No, @geobernd got red Honda Civic Type R, ZAKU II edition. A relatively fast car among common Corolla and Elantra around.

Well, that 4 cylinder still gets its butt kicked by the V6 with a supercharger that's been tweaked modestly.

@Tech Junky, RT-AX86U is a good package for the price. Not everyone can afford a Ferrari and not everyone wants to be a car mechanic. @geobernd may have a Honda Civic, but it's factory made, nice looking, clean and easy to use. Your DIY i9 server and DIY modem with hanging antennas is this:

1656549218452.png

I was just amazed by your recent artwork. Picture saved for educational purposes. Tweaked supercharged V6, I guess. :)

1655583473996.png

Performance is not everything. If you remember I asked you if you live alone. There is a reason some folks prefer ZenWiFi XT8 2-pack vs 2x RT-AX86U in AiMesh. There is a reason some folks will never buy this factory made router, no matter what performance it offers:

1656551464121.png

There is a balance in things and this is what's missing in your posts. Someone is asking for RT-AC66U replacement - bang Wi-Fi 6 4x4 access point, with 8x8 6E option. Someone is asking for a wired router - bang DIY x86 server with bare Linux. Someone is asking for a simple 2-bay NAS - bang DIY x86 NAS with 10GbE NICs, replaceable. No, RT-AX86U is not a Yugo. It's a good balance device between price, performance, user friendliness and looks. Do you understand now what I'm trying to tell you?

Last edited:
@Tech9

Performance is part of most people's decision making process when evaluating their options along with the cost of the devices they choose.

In my instance getting 400mbps by making it uglier vs 200mbps by leaving it alone in the plastic case it comes in is a personal choice. Not everyone will do the same thing but, proving it as an option rather than just theory could be helpful to someone lurking rather than posting.

Your summary of things just shows your love for me keeping track of all the posts and recommendations. It's cute. Just don't show up on my doorstep like a stalker.

Your summary of things just shows your love for me

No, you're not special. I just remember what I read. Naturally aspirated V12 memory performance. I may ask someone what happened with the router he had in the signature before or catch inconsistencies in posts months apart. Some people know. ;)

Performance is part of most people's decision making process

Not on the consumer market. This is why we have routers with gold and red accents, alien looks, multiple long external antennas 2/3 plastic and even RGB lights. None of it is performance related, but people still buy them. Hard to believe, but the most desired router in my preferred computer store is the one pictured below. It's usually sold in 2 days, especially if it comes bundled with Gundam Tumbler. Better performance AX86U was on sale for 330CAD and the same store had 2 available for a week.

1656556173270.png

There's also an RT-AX86U Pro coming according to the OP, however Asus doesn't seem to have published a product page for it yet, so I can't share the technical details about it.
Thanks, seems like retailer isn't trying to mislead.

Initially when I saw this thread yesterday I didn't fully take it seriously because I thought it was related to this thread here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-rt-ax86u-being-discontinued-by-asus.76080/ which was the same assumption because of different circumstances. So, it looks like this thread is different. With that said, I read up on the posts from last night, and wanted to mention that on the topic of a balance of performance, price and features, etc: the main reason I purchased the RT-AX86U was for the ASUSWRT experience, beyond that in my current setup and use case, the RT-AX86U hasn't really shown me any real significant performance over any other router I've used, that has lower specs.

The main thing I've really been looking for are the following:

1. A stable internet connection
2. regular firmware updates to patch security and fix bugs
3. The ability to port forward, and control traffic, when needed
4. Wireless for those devices that don't have an Ethernet option

Most of the high end features and demands I see discussed here in these threads currently have no practical application for my setup, even though I could see where they would fit in more, in a small business, or enterprise environment vs a home environment.
With that said, and after the initial learning curve of the Asus environment, the RT-AX86U has been the set and forget solution, I've been looking for. AT the same time though, has plenty of things to change and configure going forward as needed.

Initially when I saw this thread yesterday I didn't fully take it seriously because I thought it was related to this thread here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-rt-ax86u-being-discontinued-by-asus.76080/ which was the same assumption because of different circumstances. So, it looks like this thread is different. With that said, I read up on the posts from last night, and wanted to mention that on the topic of a balance of performance, price and features, etc: the main reason I purchased the RT-AX86U was for the ASUSWRT experience, beyond that in my current setup and use case, the RT-AX86U hasn't really shown me any real significant performance over any other router I've used, that has lower specs.

The main thing I've really been looking for are the following:

1. A stable internet connection
2. regular firmware updates to patch security and fix bugs
3. The ability to port forward, and control traffic, when needed
4. Wireless for those devices that don't have an Ethernet option

Most of the high end features and demands I see discussed here in these threads currently have no practical application for my setup, even though I could see where they would fit in more, in a small business, or enterprise environment vs a home environment.
With that said, and after the initial learning curve of the Asus environment, the RT-AX86U has been the set and forget solution, I've been looking for. AT the same time though, has plenty of things to change and configure going forward as needed.
Agreed. As long as the firmware keeps pushing out for my AX86U I'll be running it for quite some time.

Agreed. As long as the firmware keeps pushing out for my AX86U I'll be running it for quite some time.
Well finding a new router to replace my Airport extreme (Apple discontinued them) has been long and frustrating. I love trying new products and giving feedback, but it's gotten to the point where I'm tired of setting up new routers for a while and re-configuring the whole network. So at this point, as long as it's stable, even though a bit older, it's good enough for now. Plus, the only major time to upgrade for me at this point will be when WiFi 6E, or newer becomes mainstream. Currently when talking wireless devices: I only have two devices that support WiFi 6 an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and the 2021 Apple TV 4K. Because I use Ethernet with the Apple TVs, I don't consider them wireless devices, even though they can do both.
Beyond that, I have my smart lights, and smart speakers that run best on 80211g, but are compatible with 80211n. With this said, if I judging my wireless network by those devices alone (as they are the majority) then I'd probably skip WiFi 5, and 6 and go with an N, or G router, as that would be all I would need (as long as it had gigabit Ethernet.) However, because I have a few devices that do run on 5Ghz and can take advantage of 5, and 6, that was my main reason for getting a good router with current specs.
The Airport Extreme I have is the 2013 mode, it's first gen WiFi 5, I think that was considered 1200, or 1300. So, I keep it around in case I'm in a pinch as it would work, it just wouldn't be a good idea long term as there haven't been any firmware updates in quite some time. Then again, maybe because it's different form the average consumer router when it comes to firmware it runs, it might be safer. Most consumer routers today run a Linux based firmware, if my memory serves correctly I think Airports ran something based on NetBSD, or some other form of BSD. Anyway I'm going off topic here, but just wanted to mention some of the technical specs of stuff I've used during the history of arriving at the RT-AX86U purchase.

The Airport extreme I gave away after buying an NG router (just before buying the RT-N66U w/RMerlin firmware a few months later) was sluggish, couldn't cover the whole house, and was oftentimes unreliable (even on a UPS, a reboot was required to get the LAN transfer speeds back to what was expected of the NAS in use back then).

I know sfx2000 loves the apple hardware, but even when that hardware was current, there were better options available then too (i.e. the NG I had bought).

I don't know anyone who 'needs' a router as a backup (even business customers). Worst case scenario, a new router can be bought the next day.

Yes, routers do die. And some of my farm-based clients have been without internet for a couple of days (not because of me, it was their misunderstanding with their ISP). They survived just fine.

Either use the Airport as a media bridge (if possible) or, simply recycle it. Having a horse and carriage in case of car troubles isn't a thing (and it never was). Internet is not that important (this is what customers tell me).

Internet is not that important (this is what customers tell me).
It is a valid concern if you work remotely. You’re right it’s not the end of the world, but it also is a fairly large inconvenience not just to myself but also my employer.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!