What's new

RT-AX86U WiFi issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nope, haven't changed my position for those symptoms we were discussing (user using exact same hardware and SSID and had upgraded firmware causing issues with multiple devices, not just a single phone). 99.9% of the time there is no reason to "forget" a wifi network either, but since it takes 30 seconds to try, and other things haven't worked, it is worth a shot. Network reset on the phone I would keep as a last resort, but if the OP doesn't mind re-pairing bluetooth and losing saved wifi networks, go for it, will accomplish the same or potentially a bit more than forgetting the network. However I'd focus more on the settings in the router itself, since the phone works fine with their ISP router.
My position has not changed either. If you upgrade your router and the phone is an issue, reset the phone network. It's a shorter path to diagnose and rule out the phone. You can then move on to possible router specific issues. A phone or PC network reset is never a last resort. Who cares about the dentist office you visit once or twice a year. It's not labor intensive to re-pair bluetooth or such.

I've came here to give an update. I feel like there are few things I should mention since possibly they might be related to the issue. Few months ago I've put my phone's MAC address in the router WAN settings (the mac clone thingy). I've tried enabling the mac randomizer on my phone and use the Asus Wi-Fi and it seems to be working fine no issues past few days. As soon as I disable the MAC randomizer, the problem comes back. Which made me think maybe the mac settings in the WAN would've caused an issue/conflict which is causing the problems that I'm having. I removed the phone's MAC from the WAN settings, disabled MAC randomizer and the issue came back.. I also have to mention that I've set a static local IP for my phone by mac address (could that be related to the issue?). Anyways I've reset my network on my phone now and I'll try without MAC randomizer to see if it's solved. Edit: yeah same issue still present without mac randomizer..

Last edited:
I've came here to give an update. I feel like there are few things I should mention since possibly they might be related to the issue. Few months ago I've put my phone's MAC address in the router WAN settings (the mac clone thingy). I've tried enabling the mac randomizer on my phone and use the Asus Wi-Fi and it seems to be working fine no issues past few days. As soon as I disable the MAC randomizer, the problem comes back. Which made me think maybe the mac settings in the WAN would've caused an issue/conflict which is causing the problems that I'm having. I removed the phone's MAC from the WAN settings, disabled MAC randomizer and the issue came back.. I also have to mention that I've set a static local IP for my phone by mac address (could that be related to the issue?). Anyways I've reset my network on my phone now and I'll try without MAC randomizer to see if it's solved. Edit: yeah same issue still present without mac randomizer..

Doubt it is related to the WAN MAC clone. Maybe some issue with your DHCP reservation? Enabling MAC randomization should bypass the DHCP reservation (assuming you set it based on the non-randomized MAC) so maybe delete and re-add the reservation after disabling the randomizer, make sure you have the right MAC, an IP that is not in use (ideally outside of your normal DHCP range) and no DNS specified.

Doubt it is related to the WAN MAC clone. Maybe some issue with your DHCP reservation? Enabling MAC randomization should bypass the DHCP reservation (assuming you set it based on the non-randomized MAC) so maybe delete and re-add the reservation after disabling the randomizer, make sure you have the right MAC, an IP that is not in use (ideally outside of your normal DHCP range) and no DNS specified.
I removed the IP reservation from the the router (yes it was outside the DHCP range) and I chose à manual IP on my phone without MAC randomizer and it has been working fine.. This is weird..

I don't have the channels on auto. I have it fixed on 48 for 5GHz. As you can see it's still doing 160MHz
View attachment 49142
Though LAN ping is still very bugged but it doesn't matter as pinging anything from my phone that isn't on local network works fine
May I ask where you are accessing the page in your screenshot here? I can't find it in the router settings anywhere.

Thanks!

Similar issue here, same router and presumable same phone (iPhone 13 Pro, running latest IOS). Router running latest firmware from Asus, tried Merlin and it didn't make a difference. For me, everything is going fine and if I pick up my iPhone after not using for a while and unlock and start to do something using internet, the entire Wifi "hangs" for 10-15 seconds, sometimes 30ish. Devices still connected but no internet. Def not a coincidence it's happened several times when one of use starts using our phone.