What's new

RT-AX88 vs RT-AC3100 Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Icelvlan

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I currently have an RT-AC3100 and I'm not happy getting 400-500 mbps on my internet connect as I have 1gbps. I find if I when I do tests it goes to these speed and the CPU usually goes to 100%. Would I see better results with an RT-AX88? Would it help to put merlin on my router? I have most of the optimizations suggested on the site already done.

Thanks.

Hello,

I currently have an RT-AC3100 and I'm not happy getting 400-500 mbps on my internet connect as I have 1gbps. I find if I when I do tests it goes to these speed and the CPU usually goes to 100%. Would I see better results with an RT-AX88? Would it help to put merlin on my router? I have most of the optimizations suggested on the site already done.

Thanks.

If cpu goes to 100% that usually indicates hardware accrelation is disabled or not working properly. I will first look in to that, rather than looking into buy new router.

What kind of tweaks or setting you have, I would install merlin current version and it will make it very easy to see if hardware accrelation is on. It would be under tools once you install Merlin version.

Hello,

Just an update, I did all of the above and am getting about 3/4 of my speed now. What is the suggested speed test to use? Still about 250Mpbs slower than expected.

is the Connection DHCP or PPP0e?

With PPP0e you should still be able to do 1Gbps but you will see high cpu load.

Its strange that even after a factory reset you are only seeing 750Mbps.

Last edited:
I still see it hitting 100% during tests. Would it have anything to do with qos and traffic analysis?

Worth going to Ax88?

I still see it hitting 100% during tests. Would it have anything to do with qos and traffic analysis?

Worth going to Ax88?

From what I've seen I don't think there is Hardware acceleration on PPP0e connections prior to the HND platform.

I had the same issue on 68U class hardware on DHCP I was able to use CTF+FA when I changed to a Fiber connection on PPP0e I could only do CTF and had the same issue. I was able to hit max speeds no problem but doing so would tax the cpu greatly.

Thankfully the newer platform on AX88U has acceleration for PPP0e.

Also for others reading you have to have a fast internet connection for it to be an issue so 500+ Mbps.

QoS should be turned off for speeds >300Mb/s, no need for it and only going worse.

So you were getting full speed with the AX88 after upgrading from old router? Does anyone know a fix for this?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!