What's new

RT-AX88U and RT-AX92U as AiMesh node: No AX mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I fully agree with both of you regarding SmartConnect. We just want Asus to include the third band into smartconnect, when using two routers/nodes, just as you have it using only one router.

Especially when using ethernet backhaul it makes no sense to run with seperate band/SSID for Wi-fi6. To hell with the feature that units switch to wireless backhaul if wired backhaul is interrupted. If wired backhaul is interrupted you most likely won't have internet connection anyway.

ROM64: Thank you for the additional information about current wifi6 use on the routers now with that DWB.

PS. I tried with firmware from May2019. Same thing. As soon as you add the node, the smartconnect removes the third wifi6 band from smartconnect, ethernet backhaul or not.

Lets see what support reply to ROM64' question.

Last edited:
We're really talking about the same thing, I can't agree more.

My only purpose was to show that the third band can be used, with both Wi-Fi and ethetnet backhaul (if you are really committed to doing so and have clients for it), although in my opinion (here I agree with you) it does not work as it should.

There are parts of the firmware that are not polished. Using ethernet backhaul and Smart Connect. The third band should integrate and function like the other two.

I have even tested the first firmware that came out for these routers and it works the same (with respect to the third band) than the most current one. Just as bad

I just hope this helps future buyers so they know they are going to meet (which in my view differs from what ASUS announces and what really happens). Even with routers more powerful than this.

Greetings

I have 1 RT-AX88U and 2 RT-AX92u setup as AiMesh with the RT-AX88U as the main router and the 2 RT-AX92U as nodes.
It is possible to get the 2 RT-AX92U nodes also working with AX.
You have to connect your RT-AX92U nodes to the RT-AX88U with a direct LAN cable (backhaul). The AX band isn't in use then.

Please perform the following instruction:
The SSID of my WiFi is TEST (for the example).

You have to remove _dwb in nvram variable "dwb_wl_ssid=TEST_dwb"
In my example you must enter the following commands in SSH:
nvram set dwb_wl_ssid=TEST
nvram set dwb_wl_closed=0
nvram commit

After switching off and on the router my S10 phone automatically connected to the AX channel on one of mine RT-AX92U nodes.

When moving around the house between the nodes the WiFi 6 symbol stays on.

Keep in mind that you won't have more than 1Gb througput between the nodes and router because of using LAN for interconnection............

Maybe there are better ways. But this setup is working for me.

UPDATE!: It's not working 100%, because I lose my connection as of today when moving between the Nodes.

Changed settings to:
nvram set dwb_wl_closed=1
nvram commit

You have to remove the WiFi SSID on the S10 and then manually ad the SSID so it will connect even when it's hidden. This seems to be working better and automatically pick up the AX band.
Hello
I've the same equipements as you ax88u and 2x ax92u
I want to add ax92 as node on ax88u router.

The problem is that I can't find the way to do it.
I though I can just power on the nodes, out of the box, connect them wirely to the router and then the aimesh discover function will works but it didn't.

Can someone give me the step by step way to do it?
The videos founded on YouTube aren't detailed enough. They explain how to install the 2 ax92 together ( I success it) but not how to add them to an existing installation

Do have I to reset my router? If yes, how to keep all setting ( family members, WiFi planning, static IP...)

I loose hour and hour to test differents ways without success.....

Thanks !!!

Last edited:
Hello
I've the same equipements as you ax88u and 2x ax92u
I want to add ax92 as node on ax88u router.

The problem is that I can't find the way to do it.
I though I can just power on the nodes, out of the box, connect them wirely to the router and then the aimesh discover function will works but it didn't.

Can someone give me the step by step way to do it?
The videos founded on YouTube aren't detailed enough. They explain how to install the 2 ax92 together ( I success it) but not how to add them to an existing installation

Do have I to reset my router? If yes, how to keep all setting ( family members, WiFi planning, static IP...)

I loose hour and hour to test differents ways without success.....

Thanks !!!

I've found that each of the nodes need to be completely factory reset, and updated to the latest firmware version. Once that's done, connect the ethernet cable on the INTERNET port of the nodes to the LAN port of the host, then run AIMesh discovery.

Thanks for that.

That's what I've done but aimesh discovery didn't work....
Maybe I'll contact Asus before returning the 92...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!