What's new

RT-AX88U - IOS devices fails iCloud backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tarupi

New Around Here
I have an odd problem with iOS devices. All iCloud backups fail with error message 'iCloud backup failed due poor network conditions'. This started about at the beginning of May, but I am not sure what has caused it. I have tried different firmware versions and latest Merlin version with no help. Router is connected to ISP router, which also has a own wifi. If I connect devices to that wifi, icloud backups succeed. Speedtests show same speed and ping values for both wifi networks.

Do it and check (disable)

22945287.png

Thanks, now it is fixed.

Steps needeed:

1. disable agile multiband
2. Go to WiFi settings on ios device and forget the WiFi network
3. Join network again

-> backups work again

I can confirm the same issue and the same fix. Took me hours to isolate what router settings was causing this issue, including the nuclear option of resetting the mesh network to factory settings and rebuilding it again with port forwards and static IPs. Final clue being that I can perform iCloud backup on guest network SSID, but not my home network SSID, so it was likely a wireless setting. One by one, narrowed down to Agile Multiband issue.

I am assuming it’s an Asus implementation problem, not an Apple device issue. ASUS, pls see to it that you roll out a fix.

I can confirm the same issue and the same fix. Took me hours to isolate what router settings was causing this issue, including the nuclear option of resetting the mesh network to factory settings and rebuilding it again with port forwards and static IPs. Final clue being that I can perform iCloud backup on guest network SSID, but not my home network SSID, so it was likely a wireless setting. One by one, narrowed down to Agile Multiband issue.

I am assuming it’s an Asus implementation problem, not an Apple device issue. ASUS, pls see to it that you roll out a fix.
Btw, also had issue previously of not being able to download iOS updates. After jumping to guest network SSID, I can. Likely same setting issue.

This is a squirrelly problem. And my guest network worked but not primary network. I came here because I saw the same problems and the fix of un enabling agile and reattaching worked! But the story goes on...

I opened a ticket at ASUS for this figuring it's firmware as the timing of my problem seemed as well to align with a recent update.

After lots of back and forth and read these useless faq's and checking if attached USB could be causing it they jumped up and said I have a hardware problem and send it in for fixing.

As everyone knows, that's very problematic - send your router in for 7-14 days and have no network? Ugh.

So I've tried downgrading the BIOS to two prior versions and still have the problem.

So it's starting to smell like hardware. Yet in my mind I wonder how many of us have hardware problems. Several of you landed here with the same problem (and likely many more that read and learned).

I suggest everyone open a ticket at ASUS for this problem. In the interest of getting their attention if it is a trending hardware problem. Here's the link:

If your device is less than 2 yrs old you should pursue this for sure in case you have to send in for repair.

I have the same issue - however if I disable agile multiband all my google assistants refuse to join the WiFi network again. I opened a ticket at ASUS about the problem.

I had the exact issue. I can confirm that disabling Agile Multiband and forgetting the network and rejoining works! Nice job finding this solution!

New firmware released: 3.0.0.4.386_44266
For me iCloud backup now works with Agile Multiband enabled - any others that experience the same?

For months, I have been trying to figure out why I couldn't perform iOS Update and iCloud Backup. It kept saying I needed to have WIFI but my devices are connected to my RT-AX88U. Checked with Apple who told me to reset my iPhone, which I refused to. Checked with Asus who told me to perform a factory reset, which I refused to as well. Both Apple and Asus couldn't tell me what was wrong. I am glad I didn't reset anything because it wouldn't make any difference anyway, according to some online forums. I just didn't want to set up everything from scratch on my Apple devices and Asus router.

I found out a month ago that I could do update iOS and backup iCloud when my iPhone/iPad are connected to Guest Network, so it has been my temporary solution. Other members in my family also managed to do it at their friends'/relatives' home using their WIFI network.

I can confirm that the latest Asus' firmware update finally resolved the issues I have been having for several months!

But we need to FORGET WIFI NETWORK and REJOIN on our devices first before it can work.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!