What's new

RT-AX88U lan aggregation in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azvaska

New Around Here
Hello i have a new ftth 2,5gb connection and my RT-AX88U does have a 2.5 wan port.
I want to change router, i will probably get the mikrotik RB5009 but i still want to use the RT-AX88U for the wifi can i configure it to use double lan so I can fully utilize my connection even in wifi?
ONT<==2.5GBE ETHERNET> mikrotik<=> 2×1 lacp <==> RT-AX88U (ap)
Is this possible?

Hello i have a new ftth 2,5gb connection and my RT-AX88U does have a 2.5 wan port.
I want to change router, i will probably get the mikrotik RB5009 but i still want to use the RT-AX88U for the wifi can i configure it to use double lan so I can fully utilize my connection even in wifi?
ONT<==2.5GBE ETHERNET> mikrotik<=> 2×1 lacp <==> RT-AX88U (ap)
Is this possible?

Not positive if it does it through the GUI in AP mode, should be able to do it via script if not. But keep in mind it is still 2x 1G connections, a single download will only hit 1G. Two simultaneous downloads can hit 2G.

You can get a 2.5G SFP to put in the mikrotik to take advantage of the 2.5G port in the Asus, but in reality, are you actually going to be able to exceed 1G on wifi (or need to) on a regular basis?

Not positive if it does it through the GUI in AP mode, should be able to do it via script if not. But keep in mind it is still 2x 1G connections, a single download will only hit 1G. Two simultaneous downloads can hit 2G.

You can get a 2.5G SFP to put in the mikrotik to take advantage of the 2.5G port in the Asus, but in reality, are you actually going to be able to exceed 1G on wifi (or need to) on a regular basis?
I don't have the 2.5 port on the router, you think that with Merlin i can do this?

I may not understand but why i can't have 2 gbps in wifi, can't both parties see like a virtual 2gbe link, it doesn't matter witch one cable it goes through its still seen as it's coming from a single device.

I may not understand but why i can't have 2 gbps in wifi

Because the reality is a bit different than advertisements.

The maximum you can get with common 2-stream AX client is about 1.7Gbps, only if your area is 160MHz wide channel friendly, only if the client supports 160MHz wide channel, only if the client is close to the router and only if nothing else is using the channels you use. This is the total throughput to ALL your wireless clients because it's shared between them. If you can't run 160MHz wide channel the throughput is about 850Mbps.

You're paying for 2.5Gbps connection perhaps for no good reason. Making your ISP happy with your higher monthly fees.

I don't have the 2.5 port on the router, you think that with Merlin i can do this?

I may not understand but why i can't have 2 gbps in wifi, can't both parties see like a virtual 2gbe link, it doesn't matter witch one cable it goes through its still seen as it's coming from a single device.

Oh your post said your Asus had a 2.5G port, I didn't bother to confirm.

Most likely there is no reason to even bother but you can try to see if it will let you set up LAG in AP mode. If not, technically you could leave it in router mode and disable DHCP and set up LAG that way (connect nothing to the WAN port). May be some unforeseen side effects but I don't think so, essentially just running as a switch and AP and the router portion is running but unused.

Doubt it is worth it though, 1G is probably all you're going to be able to use as @Tech9 explained. Hopefully you have some wired devices to take advantage of the rest of the connection.

Is it even worth it to buy a new $200 mikrotik and whatever you're paying monthly for that internet service - what exactly are you doing that will ever exceed gig?

I Will have a Nas and my PC connected in lan trough a switch and since a lot of times I'm out of home i need fast remote to my network, the wifi is for the rest of the family they too sometime work in remote. Thanks for everything.

I Will have a Nas and my PC connected in lan trough a switch and since a lot of times I'm out of home i need fast remote to my network, the wifi is for the rest of the family they too sometime work in remote. Thanks for everything.

If you run VPN on that Mikrotik you'll be nowhere near 2.5 gigs of throughput. It can barely do that with no encryption.

Options for what? How fast you need this remote access and what client will be connecting to this VPN server? I believe you understand the server is one side of the tunnel only. The other side has to be as capable to maintain the throughput.

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 16-56-05 MikroTik.png