What's new

Rt-ax88u pro & Rt-ax86u pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HeadShot

New Around Here
Hi all ... New here. A few weeks ago, I purchased the Rt-ax86u pro running stock FW. Last week, I noticed the rt-ax88u pro was on sale. Thought now was the time to try out the 88u pro, see what works best for me, and return 1 of the 2 routers.

The results in my testing, so far … the rt-ax86u pro is a solid router that works very well with my rt-ax82u in mesh. No resets, everything is communicating well, and both the app and web gui work flawlessly. Post 48 hours … Zero issues.

The rt-ax88u pro on the other hand … Not the same story. I setup the rt-ax88u pro, and at first all seemed good. That changed quickly. I received an error when I tried to “optimize” things at device level (selecting the Optimize button gave me the following error message – Notice: Operation failed). Found absolutely nothing online about this error. This error occurred on every device in my client list. Also, as the devices settled in overnight, all devices eventually moved to the 88u pro, and nothing was on the 82u (mesh node)… Although the 82u had the stronger wifi signal.

Also, I noticed a significant lag with my Ring cameras with the 88u pro compared to the 86u pro. The 86u pro opened my cameras instantaneously. The 88u pro needed to think about it before eventually connecting.

And when trying to troubleshoot, 2 other issues I found with the 88u pro … 1> Randomly the Wan would show as disconnected. 2> Not all clients show up. I can click on the Clients button, and all Clients would appear in the online client list. However, clicking on the Aimesh button under General (web gui), some of my clients were completely missing.

I factory reset the 88u pro 3x … Same issues would come back in less than 4 hours of being online. Made sure all routers were running current FW.

The 86u pro experienced none of the issues seen with the 88u pro. Kind of disappointing. The only positive thing I can say .. The 88u pro did show a slightly faster wired/ethernet DL speed, but not worth the aggravation and other issues I experienced.

Although I am new to the mesh network scene, I have been an Asus router user for many years. I just can’t recommend the 88u pro. I have another week before I need to make a final decision … Which one to return. Right now … 86u pro is my choice to keep!

I was hoping the 88u pro would have been the router to keep. I'm open to any suggestions on what is the problem with the 88u pro.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @HeadShot.

You need to give more details about how you went about testing the RT-AX88U Pro.

What specifically did you reset? In what order? What did you reuse from your previous (RT-AX86U Pro) setup? Did you use any saved backup config files? Did you test for new SSID's? Did you reboot your router and entire network?

@L&LD Thank you for the welcome!

I tried to upload a config backup of my 86u pro settings to the 88u pro. It all seemed to take well. My ssid, password, channel for 2.4, etc. It all seemed to import without any issues or errors.

I started noticing little things. Not all clients show up. I could click on the Clients button, and all Clients would appear in the online client list. However, clicking on the Aimesh button under General (web gui), some of my clients were completely missing. I tried using the Optimization feature, and then starting getting the error message ... Notice: Operation Failed.

So, I performed a factory reset on the 88u pro, and instead of uploading the backup from the 86u pro, I manually setup the router. Thought it was a safer approach, and maybe the upload caused my problems.

All my connected devices were showing up, so I wrote it off that the upload caused the issues. But a few hours later, again ... All my devices were not showing up (some were ... Some were not). Also, I noticed a random internet disconnect with the 88u pro (seen when using the speed test built into the app (settings> QoS>Internet Speed). A message at the top of the screen said there was no internet connection.

I did not change any ssid. Didn't see the need to change anything, since I was starting from the beginning, and the same basic setup process is what I have used for the last 20 years on a variety of different equipment. This includes how I setup the 82u & 86u pro.

As far as what I rebooted ... Everything in-line with my network (router, modem, individual devices, etc.) Literally everything.

I finally unplugged the 88u pro, re-established the relationship between the 86u pro (main router) with the 82u pro (node ... which I also performed a factory reset), and everything works as it should.

If you need any additional information, please let me know. I think I responded to all your questions.

Appreciate any suggestions!

@L&LD Thank you for the welcome!

I tried to upload a config backup of my 86u pro settings to the 88u pro. It all seemed to take well. My ssid, password, channel for 2.4, etc. It all seemed to import without any issues or errors.

I started noticing little things. Not all clients show up. I could click on the Clients button, and all Clients would appear in the online client list. However, clicking on the Aimesh button under General (web gui), some of my clients were completely missing. I tried using the Optimization feature, and then starting getting the error message ... Notice: Operation Failed.

So, I performed a factory reset on the 88u pro, and instead of uploading the backup from the 86u pro, I manually setup the router. Thought it was a safer approach, and maybe the upload caused my problems.

All my connected devices were showing up, so I wrote it off that the upload caused the issues. But a few hours later, again ... All my devices were not showing up (some were ... Some were not). Also, I noticed a random internet disconnect with the 88u pro (seen when using the speed test built into the app (settings> QoS>Internet Speed). A message at the top of the screen said there was no internet connection.

I did not change any ssid. Didn't see the need to change anything, since I was starting from the beginning, and the same basic setup process is what I have used for the last 20 years on a variety of different equipment. This includes how I setup the 82u & 86u pro.

As far as what I rebooted ... Everything in-line with my network (router, modem, individual devices, etc.) Literally everything.

I finally unplugged the 88u pro, re-established the relationship between the 86u pro (main router) with the 82u pro (node ... which I also performed a factory reset), and everything works as it should.

If you need any additional information, please let me know. I think I responded to all your questions.

Appreciate any suggestions!
One backup file for two different models, what could go wrong?

There is new firmware for both the AX86U Pro and the AX88U Pro. The AX88U Pro is the next gen firmware so you may want to try that and do a Hard Factory Reset as well.

There is new firmware for both the AX86U Pro and the AX88U Pro. The AX88U Pro is the next gen firmware so you may want to try that and do a Hard Factory Reset as well.
Great suggestion. I will give that a try and see how it goes. Saw that update pop up on the 86u pro today. So far, that router is still rock solid post update. Thanks!

Expensive if you brick them
Very true ... But so far (knock on wood), I've yet to brick any tech I've bought or built. I am trying to expand my knowledge of building networks, and how it all works. It's not a strength, and I am far from being an expert. Hope to learn more from everyone here.

@HeadShot, using a backup config file from the same model router to another isn't recommended, let alone using one from one model to another. While it can seem that it superficially 'took', it is pretty mangled under the hood.

At this point, I would suggest you do a full reset to factory defaults via the method required for your model in the link below.

I would also suggest you follow that by re-flashing the current firmware you want to use, then perform one more reset via the GUI (and checking the 'Initialize all settings...' button before hitting reset).

Now, hopefully with a fully reset router that is using the variables and defaults it expects to use/have, I would proceed to do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Note that toggling options on/off past defaults aren't the same thing as leaving those options at their defaults in the first place. If the router gets in unstable or doesn't respond as you would expect at this point, another full reset would be required to get it to a good/known state as quickly as possible.

The following links may also be useful for you if you're interested in getting the most from your new router.

The last link above is a good outline of when and how to use the backup config feature on the router. And is best used to quickly get your router back to a working configuration when you're able to flash the exact same firmware on the exact same router after fully resetting it (when you want to test a new firmware version, or when you're changing/toggling settings and you want to get back to a good/known state).

And, know that if you decide to use RMerlin's firmware (recommended), you need to perform the above all over again after you've flashed the firmware you want to run/test on your router(s). Myself, in the step above where I state to re-flash the firmware you have now, I would flash the RMerlin firmware instead (if you want to test/use RMerlin firmware, of course.

The benefits of RMerlin firmware go well beyond wanting an easy way to have full control of your network via the many scripts available. Even when no scripts are used, RMerlin's firmware is often more secure, more stable, and more reliable than stock Asus firmware, and in my experience, gives the best performance with the highest security possible for the hardware we have.

@HeadShot, using a backup config file from the same model router to another isn't recommended, let alone using one from one model to another. While it can seem that it superficially 'took', it is pretty mangled under the hood.

At this point, I would suggest you do a full reset to factory defaults via the method required for your model in the link below.

I would also suggest you follow that by re-flashing the current firmware you want to use, then perform one more reset via the GUI (and checking the 'Initialize all settings...' button before hitting reset).

Now, hopefully with a fully reset router that is using the variables and defaults it expects to use/have, I would proceed to do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Note that toggling options on/off past defaults aren't the same thing as leaving those options at their defaults in the first place. If the router gets in unstable or doesn't respond as you would expect at this point, another full reset would be required to get it to a good/known state as quickly as possible.

The following links may also be useful for you if you're interested in getting the most from your new router.

The last link above is a good outline of when and how to use the backup config feature on the router. And is best used to quickly get your router back to a working configuration when you're able to flash the exact same firmware on the exact same router after fully resetting it (when you want to test a new firmware version, or when you're changing/toggling settings and you want to get back to a good/known state).

And, know that if you decide to use RMerlin's firmware (recommended), you need to perform the above all over again after you've flashed the firmware you want to run/test on your router(s). Myself, in the step above where I state to re-flash the firmware you have now, I would flash the RMerlin firmware instead (if you want to test/use RMerlin firmware, of course.

The benefits of RMerlin firmware go well beyond wanting an easy way to have full control of your network via the many scripts available. Even when no scripts are used, RMerlin's firmware is often more secure, more stable, and more reliable than stock Asus firmware, and in my experience, gives the best performance with the highest security possible for the hardware we have.

Thank you for the info. Wanted to give a quick update.

Followed your steps to the letter. I performed the factory reset via method# 2 (hold wps until power light turns off & reboot). Went into setup, and the router called out a new fw that was recently released (mentioned by @bbunge ). I let the router flash the new FW, and once complete ... I performed another reset via the web gui. Appears it reverted back to the original FW .. and I had to flash again (received the same message ... new FW available.) Let it flash the router a second time.

Questions for your: Does that sound right ... I had to re-flash the router a second time with the new FW? And if so, can I add my 1 node back into the mix? Want to start a 24 hr clock and see how things hold up before I start tinkering under the hood again.

Appreciate the info, and your time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!