What's new

RT AX88U Pro with RT AX86U as a node in Aimesh - Terrible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SpringThing

New Around Here
I've had terrible experience with Ax88U pro wired ethernet backhaul connected 2.5GB with Ax86u.
The clients connected to the Ax86U freq. disconnects. I've tried every combination of wireless settings.
The first thing I did check was that the main router, Ax88u pro, has good wireless overlap with the ax86u by adjusting the power settings.
It seems fine - the clients all connects to the strongest signal available and the overlapping seems sensible.
Roaming assistant I tried on/off and it does nothing.
Tried setting the RSSI setting between 60->70 dbi - does nothing.
When the clients are connected the overall speed is great - around 500-600 Mbps for every client (The internet connection is 750 Mbps).
Both AX and AC clients performes well. But the clients does connect and disconnects a lot - so much that it is becoming av problem.
I did try swapping out the ax86u node with a ac86u node - and that works great in terms of stability - but then I have no AX network on the ac86u node - only ac.
So it seems to be a issue related to the ax86u node. I've been thinking of using the ax86U as the main router, and AX88U pro as a node, but
then I would be using the weaker router as the main router... Any ideas if this approach should work better?
I've also thinking about using 1Gbs ethernet instead of the 2.5 Gbs ethernet backhaul - could it be that the 2.5 Gb ethernet is not stable?
I've been reading about some issues with the 2.5Gbs that disconnects - could this be the issue here?

Tried both the merlin firmware and stock - seems like they both have the same issue.

I've also been thinking of buying a GT-AX6000 and use that in combination with the AX88u Pro - it seems like the hardware is the same - so maybe that would work better?

I've had terrible experience with Ax88U pro wired ethernet backhaul connected 2.5GB with Ax86u.
The clients connected to the Ax86U freq. disconnects. I've tried every combination of wireless settings.
The first thing I did check was that the main router, Ax88u pro, has good wireless overlap with the ax86u by adjusting the power settings.
It seems fine - the clients all connects to the strongest signal available and the overlapping seems sensible.
Roaming assistant I tried on/off and it does nothing.
Tried setting the RSSI setting between 60->70 dbi - does nothing.
When the clients are connected the overall speed is great - around 500-600 Mbps for every client (The internet connection is 750 Mbps).
Both AX and AC clients performes well. But the clients does connect and disconnects a lot - so much that it is becoming av problem.
I did try swapping out the ax86u node with a ac86u node - and that works great in terms of stability - but then I have no AX network on the ac86u node - only ac.
So it seems to be a issue related to the ax86u node. I've been thinking of using the ax86U as the main router, and AX88U pro as a node, but
then I would be using the weaker router as the main router... Any ideas if this approach should work better?
I've also thinking about using 1Gbs ethernet instead of the 2.5 Gbs ethernet backhaul - could it be that the 2.5 Gb ethernet is not stable?
I've been reading about some issues with the 2.5Gbs that disconnects - could this be the issue here?

Tried both the merlin firmware and stock - seems like they both have the same issue.

I've also been thinking of buying a GT-AX6000 and use that in combination with the AX88u Pro - it seems like the hardware is the same - so maybe that would work better?
I have the same hardware using the 2.5 GB Ethernet backhaul. No issues here. See signature for firmware used. I do not not change anything in the Professional settings, I do use Dual Band SmartConnect with WPA2-Personal and right now I have the 2.4 GHz set to 20 MHz on channel 11 and the 5 GHz set to 80 MHz on channel 36.
May I recommend you flash Asus firmware, remove the AX86U from the AiMesh, Factory reset the AX86U Pro then do a minimal config (SSID/passphrase and userID/password), add the AX86U back as a mesh node and let it ride for a couple of days with the default WIFI settings. Yes, it can take a while for the clients and the mesh system to settle in.

Edit: Just wanted to add that you should not trust what you see in the network map. I have an IP cam running off of a PoE switch connected to a LAN port on my AX86U and the network map shows the cam connected to the AX86U Pro. It may in time show correctly. Then again it may not...

I gave up using my ax86u as a mesh node and set it up in AP mode. Now everything is stable. Using the 2.5Gb ethernet backhaul connection between the main router - ax88u Pro and ax86u. I've also set up a mesh node, an ac86u to the ax86u, and it also works great. I'm using the following firmware :

3.0.0.6.102_21514 AX88u Pro
3.0.0.4.388_23285 AX86U
3.0.0.4.386_51529 AC86U

The main router and the AP node is both set up with the same SSID and WPA password. I'll guess my main problem may be related to buggy firmware as I was getting nowhere stable connections for clients trying to connect to the node (ax86u) when using the ax86u as an aimesh node. I also tried connecting the ac86u as a second node to the ax88u pro , but it just switched back and forth between the ax86u and ax88u pro and never settled. I would recommend others having similar problems try using my approach with the second router as an AP - its like a different world when it comes to stability and the speed is great and even better than I saw when using the ax86u as a node in aimesh. All the clients seems to have no problem with roaming between the AP and main router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!