What's new

RT-AX88U Quirks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jass

Regular Contributor
I finally got my hands on a ax88 and I noticed that the client list shows that "2 devices are connected to ax88 by my hp printer".

I have never seen this before on any of my ac66, ac88 or gt-ac5300, is it a fw flaw or a setting I'm missing?
Tried searching the forum and the only thing I found was this old thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-and-dlink-dap-1665-incompatibility.42767/#post-364684 So some has experienced something like this before on other models similar to those mentioned above, but I have not. And this thread indicates it's AP incopatability issue, but it should not affect my printer...
I also experienced similar behavior regarding my Sonos devices, but it went away after a Sonos update, also tried updating my hp printer without that changing anything.

I'm also a big fan of the limiter "fair share" setup which asus says you can choose between three different notations https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013333 but for the last year or so I've experienced that I have to change the notations I've have been using to get it working again after fw upgrade. Anyone know why I have to keep changing the notations back and forth?

Any insight on the above topics appreciated...

Attachments

• asusHp2ConnectedClients.PNG
    asusHp2ConnectedClients.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 278
I don't see the words "fair share" referenced anywhere. Presumably you're just talking about the normal bandwidth limiter?

I don't see the words "fair share" referenced anywhere. Presumably you're just talking about the normal bandwidth limiter?

By "fair share" I mean the variant where you setup one limiter for the whole network segment i.e 192.168.1.* or 192.168.1.0/24 which then handles all devices and traffic. One device can use the whole bandwidth unless any other device need some bandwith, and if there not enought bandwidth it share it evenly by need to those who need it. The perfect network setup in my opinion...

Attachments

• asusLimiterInfo.PNG
    asusLimiterInfo.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 321
something like 'airtime fairness'?

Almost everything I know about "airtime fairness" is that I was advised to disable it... and that it is a technology which is supposed to bring some airtime fairness into a wifi setup.

In my mind this "fair share" setup was a well known and widely used expression network/router wise, but maybe not.

For me it started many years ago when I started managing networks. QoS and traffic management has always been a headache. Almost impossible to get working right. Then came monowall, and all you had to do was one simple tick in a box, and everything worked just great…

Yes you can spend hours, days and weeks on tweaking your QoS setup, but still not get close to what this simple tick gives you… Asus has a similar function, if you make one limiter for the whole segment, and it just works wonders. I really can't understand why it's not more used, because it really get the most out of your network/available bandwidth in a incredible simple way. In my mind exactly what everybody is trying to achieve in a much more complex way...

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/574...ng-share-bandwith-evenly-between-ip-addresses

Attachments

• evenShare.PNG
    evenShare.PNG
    237.7 KB · Views: 342
In my mind this "fair share" setup was a well known and widely used expression network/router wise, but maybe not.
I don't think "fair share" has ever been an expression with regards to a bandwidth limiter. "Sharing" perhaps (as per your netgate link). You might be conflating it with "fair queuing algorithms" such as those used by network schedulers (QoS), e.g SFQ (stochastic fairness queuing).

I finally got my hands on a ax88 and I noticed that the client list shows that "2 devices are connected to ax88 by my hp printer".

I have never seen this before on any of my ac66, ac88 or gt-ac5300, is it a fw flaw or a setting I'm missing?
Tried searching the forum and the only thing I found was this old thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-and-dlink-dap-1665-incompatibility.42767/#post-364684 So some has experienced something like this before on other models similar to those mentioned above, but I have not. And this thread indicates it's AP incopatability issue, but it should not affect my printer...
I also experienced similar behavior regarding my Sonos devices, but it went away after a Sonos update, also tried updating my hp printer without that changing anything.

I'm also a big fan of the limiter "fair share" setup which asus says you can choose between three different notations https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013333 but for the last year or so I've experienced that I have to change the notations I've have been using to get it working again after fw upgrade. Anyone know why I have to keep changing the notations back and forth?

Any insight on the above topics appreciated...
I actually have 2 ASUS RT- AC88U & Normal AC3100 but only have the one AC88U setup. I had allowed people to connect to my private network. Luckily nothing ever transpired. But one day when Checking I came across two unexplainable devices one connected through a camera the other through I dunno what. I changed the password and added a guest network. Limited the bandwidth to absolute minimum. Haven't scene the devices since. I still don't know what one of them were. Does anyone have an example of an AiMesh Setup They would care to share? Or similar issues that they have a fix for?

I actually have 2 ASUS RT- AC88U & Normal AC3100 but only have the one AC88U setup. I had allowed people to connect to my private network. Luckily nothing ever transpired. But one day when Checking I came across two unexplainable devices one connected through a camera the other through I dunno what. I changed the password and added a guest network. Limited the bandwidth to absolute minimum. Haven't scene the devices since. I still don't know what one of them were. Does anyone have an example of an AiMesh Setup They would care to share? Or similar issues that they have a fix for?

I do not believe that it is caused by any unknown devices in my case. It shows as connected through my printer in the client list, but nothing unusual in the "client list" on the QoS page. So I think it's a fw glitch.

When it comes to AiMesh I can't be of much help, since I'm still practicing the old fashion AP setup…

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!