What's new

RT-AX88U rebooting on its own

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mteicher

Regular Contributor
RT-AX8U is brand new with latest ASUS firmware. Only changes to to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz configuration:
MAC address filtering, accept
AX disabled
2 SSID, one for each channel
WPA2 personal, AES

I do not see anything in syslog indicating an issue.

Along with the reboots so far once a day and not at the same time syslog is quite busy with logging Auth, Assoc, Deauth. Wish there was a way to change syslog log level.

Insight, ideas are appreciated.

Michael...

2/14/2020 received replacement. Same hw ver a1.1 but built 2019 vs 2020. Upgraded to newest asus fw then did a hard reset. Keeping fingers crossed.

2/15/2020: 26 hours and no reboot. knock on wood so not to jinks it.

2/18/2020: Just shy of 4 days and no reboots. I will close this thread as it seems first router had issues and thus the reboots and purpose of my initial query.

Last edited:
If it randomly reboots and it's a new device, then I would first try to plug it in a different power outlet (in case there is a problem with it). If it still happens, then I recommend having it exchanged.

If it randomly reboots and it's a new device, then I would first try to plug it in a different power outlet (in case there is a problem with it). If it still happens, then I recommend having it exchanged.

Hello RMerlin,

Its actually on the same surge protector as the replaced RT-AC87R. Its worth a shot tho and I appreciate your input.
Anyways what I did was call who I bought it from, Amazon, who first asked me to make sure the ethernet cable to the cable modem is seated good and the cable is in good condition. I said its new Cat5e. At that he said "let me get Asus on a conference call". Talked to Asus who wanted me to go through their "fire drill" at which I said the router is just a few days old. I balked at going through their fire drill stating my case, look at syslog I sent and changes etc.. He agreed and said to return it. In short Amazon was very pleasing and I will get replacement tomorrow. I just dont look forward to manually inputting all my mac address. I believe some things like that should be accepted as a txt upload.

Thank you...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!