What's new

RT-AX88U - restrict Wifi Device within network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

klodoma

New Around Here
I am wondering how can I restrict the access of some Wifi Devices in the network.

For example: printers, smart-plugs,TVs... should have access to the internet and maybe to some "whitelisted" IPs within the network but that's it. They should be somehow restricted from the rest of the network.

How can I achieve such a setup?

You should enable the guest wifi and have those devices access the guest wifi. However, they will not be able to access the intranet that's on the normal wifi........I don't know how they can be made to.

You should enable the guest wifi and have those devices access the guest wifi. However, they will not be able to access the intranet that's on the normal wifi........I don't know how they can be made to.
I thought about that, but that's not very practical.
I have the same issue with a printer that is "cable" connected so it's not in the WIFI. I want to restrict it's access in the network as much as possible.

Look up vlans. Using vlans, you can segregate certain ip addresses into different groups of networks.

I've read upon them, but do not know how to set them up.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!