What's new

RT-AX88U: USB Disk Not Mounting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iadjunct

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to get this router to recognize and share a 4 TB USB disk I have.

The disk is newly partitioned/formatted GPT/ExFAT. When I connect it, the USB icon at the top right shows that it's "Unmounted".

In the system log, I see:

Mar 9 11:45:05 kernel: scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access Seagate Expansion Desk 0739 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
Mar 9 11:45:05 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Mar 9 11:45:05 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Spinning up disk...
Mar 9 11:45:15 kernel: .....ready
Mar 9 11:45:15 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 976754645 4096-byte logical blocks: (4.00 TB/3.64 TiB)
Mar 9 11:45:15 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Mar 9 11:45:15 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, supports DPO and FUA
Mar 9 11:45:15 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

And that's the end... Every web search I've done shows that other people have other things after that last message, but I don't.

Why won't it mount?

Interesting... Seems odd that ExFAT isn't supported.

However, I did just use the router's SSH console to format it ext3 (since it doesn't have mkfs.ext4, and since I was lazy and didn't want to move the HDD to another linux computer) and now it works.

Thanks!

Seems odd that ExFAT isn't supported.

exFAT is a proprietary filesystem requires paying Microsoft a licence for the right to use.

All NAS manufacturers that support it require you to buy a separate licence for example to enable it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!