What's new

RT-AX88U very warm

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jph1589

Regular Contributor
I have a very new AX88U and the cpu temperature is rather high at idle. The two radios are 48c and 51c. But the cpu is always at 90-95c at idle. The room temp is 70f and it has plenty of room for airflow. I dont want to take it apart to reapply thermal grease as that will voic the warranty. Will a silent usb fan make enough of a difference to matter, or should I just return it for a refund.

90-95C idle for a new router is not good. Something is wrong with the CPU thermal pad. This CPU will shut down cores at 100C. Return or exchange.

90-95C idle for a new router is not good. Something is wrong with the CPU thermal pad. This CPU will shut down cores at 100C. Return or exchange.
I have already put the Merlin Firmware on it. Will they notice or care?

Just flash the stock firmware like you flashed the RMerlin firmware instead.

Thankyou. I did that and I find it interesting that the stock firmware doesnt allow you to look at the temps.

This router has two hardware revisions. I had one A1 recently and it's the warmer version with around 75C idle in 25C room. The newer A1.1 is a bit cooler, according to reports here on SNB, with idle temp around 65C in similar conditions. This is what you can expect, depending on hardware revision.

It does, with a trick. Log in the GUI and click the link below.

@Tech9
How does it work exactly?
I just set up a new RT-AX86S, which has the latest Asus firmware.
I hopefully think the trick would also work.
However, after logging into the GUI, clicking the above link would just launch a new window, which is basically the Asus router login page.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

@Tech9
How does it work exactly?
I just set up a new RT-AX86S, which has the latest Asus firmware.
I hopefully think the trick would also work.
However, after logging into the GUI, clicking the above link would just launch a new window, which is basically the Asus router login page.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You may have an issue with how your browser is working. If you are logged into the router webUI, the http ajax link returns a text string like this: fanctrl_info = ; curr_cpuTemp = "75.326"; curr_rxData = fanctrl_info[3]; curr_coreTmp_2 = fanctrl_info[1]; curr_coreTmp_5 = fanctrl_info[2]; (using MS Edge).

OE

You may have an issue with how your browser is working. If you are logged into the router webUI, the http ajax link returns a text string like this: fanctrl_info = ; curr_cpuTemp = "75.326"; curr_rxData = fanctrl_info[3]; curr_coreTmp_2 = fanctrl_info[1]; curr_coreTmp_5 = fanctrl_info[2]; (using MS Edge).

OE
I am using Firefox, the latest version.
And I just tried MS Edge as well and the result is the same.
After logging into the GUI with Edge, I clicked the link and the same Asus login page came up.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, is this the only way to access temp reading without using a Merlin firmware?
At this moment, I like to stick with Asus firmware, at least for a few months.

I am using Firefox, the latest version.
And I just tried MS Edge as well and the result is the same.
After logging into the GUI with Edge, I clicked the link and the same Asus login page came up.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, is this the only way to access temp reading without using a Merlin firmware?
At this moment, I like to stick with Asus firmware, at least for a few months.

It may be something related to browser usage... I don't know what... probably some restriction somewhere. Is the router set for https authentication? Cookies? I don't know... you'll discover it.

You can also use SSH commands, but I don't recall that method anymore since the ajax page is simple.

OE

What firmware the router is running currently?

If you get the login screen, enter your credentials and get to the GUI, add /ajax_coretmp.asp at the end of the page URL.

Thank you!
Adding that to the end of the page URL works!
Now I can monitor the CPU temp.
How about 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio temp? Any trick to check those without using a Merlin firmware?

BTW, I am using Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49447

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!