What's new

RT-AX88U Wan to Lan Throughput Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tonydatillo

New Around Here
I just purchased a RT-AX88U to replace my RT-AC68U and switched my internet service to Xfinity Gigabit. When I use the either Asus router, my speedtests are very low any pc's that are connected to the lan ports on the router. At the moment, I can't get much more than 500 down. Sometimes it peaks in the 600's. When I use the Xfinity Gateway as my router, my pc's get between 900-950 down on speedtests. Running the latest Merlin firmware.

Anyone have advice on using the RT-AX88U and getting the proper wan to lan throughput? I've seen a few posts about this, but I haven't found a solution. The AX88U doesn't have NAT Acceleration to turn on. I have tested with Spanning Tree Protocol off and on. QOS was off by default and I never turned it on. Have tested with AiProtection off and on.

I just installed and this was the first thing I noticed. This is my first asus router but for $350 I really didn't expect such an obscene latency tax prepackaged out of the box.

I ended up returning it and buying a ac88u. Made the normal tweaks and have had no issues at all with the factory firmware. I really don't care about wifi6 and that was the main selling point of the ax88u.

Having eight lan ports is nice, if you don't have a large secondary switch.

As long as those 8 Ports continue to work, you'll be fine.

Today, with RMerlin firmware, of course, the RT-AX88U is still at the top of RMerlin supported Asus routers. In a league far away from the RT-AC88U.

@arias, search the forums here to see solutions to the issue you faced. It would also help to know the firmware that was installed too.

search the forums here to see solutions to the issue you faced. It would also help to know the firmware that was installed too.

Thanks. I've gotten the high ttl down quite a bit already. It's not yet ideal like plugging straight into the wall but I'm getting there. :)

Meanwhile I chose asus-merlin because it appeared to have the most potential and the ax88u for the wifi6. I wasn't about to give up on it yet. :cool:

You should read up on the latest development then in the new thread. Firmware 386.1 Beta 4b ('b') is the new king. :)

As long as those 8 Ports continue to work, you'll be fine.

Today, with RMerlin firmware, of course, the RT-AX88U is still at the top of RMerlin supported Asus routers. In a league far away from the RT-AC88U.

@arias, search the forums here to see solutions to the issue you faced. It would also help to know the firmware that was installed too.
I just don't care much about wifi really. I hardwire everything.