What's new

RT-AX88U WIFI Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bazzly

Occasional Visitor
Hello all... I'm sure this has been talked about quite a bit (looking through the forums), but for the life of me, I cant get my upload/downloads on the wireless to work correctly. The main problem is very slow speeds..
I did read I should turn off a few settings (and I did) but it didnt help.

I'm currently running Merlin 384.13_0 on the RT-AX88U, and I'm Running firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81116 by Asus RT-AC88U. My current set up is using the the AX as the main router, and the AC as a AIMesh node.
Connecting to the net work and selecting properties on my card shows I'm getting 144Mps, but I'm upload download speeds are crazy slow.

Original configuration was all defaults. I also tried Smart Connect. I also tried to separate both bands with the same ssid...long story short... I tried a lot of different stuff.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they are configured and what upload/download speeds they are getting?

Thanks in advance!

Instead, why don't you tell us your client devices (and their WiFi hardware capabilities) and what your speeds are first? :)

Wow....that a lot of devices. I have about 100 devices on my network. Computers, laptops, phones, tablets, lights, light switched, outlets, thermostats, stereos, TVs, all sorts of stuff.
I'm focusing on the laptops and computers.

For example….My laptop on the RC88U I could upload at 36 Mbs, on the AX88U I’m getting 7 even though my connection shows 300. This make sense?

This make sense?

Not to me, but this is what you can get for the most common client configurations:

1x1 N client, 2.4GHz, 20MHz channel -> up to 72Mbps
2x2 N client, 2.4GHz, 20MHz channel -> up to 144Mbps

1x1 N client, 5GHz, 40MHz channel -> up to 150Mbps
2x2 N client, 5GHz, 40MHz channel -> up to 300Mbps
3x3 N client, 5GHz, 40MHz channel -> up to 450Mbps

1x1 AC client, 5GHz, 80MHz channel -> up to 433Mbps
2x2 AC client, 5GHz, 80MHz channel -> up to 867Mbps
3x3 AC client, 5GHz, 80MHz channel -> up to 1300Mbps

There are other configurations, of course, but not very common. Link speed "up to" means "ideal conditions", i.e. close to the router, proper less busy wireless channel, relatively quiet networks around. In real conditions you may not reach maximum link speeds. Your actual throughput is about 1/2 of the link speed. For example, if your client is connected at 433Mbps, you can get about 200Mbps throughput. Don't get confused between MBps and Mbps. 200Mbps throughput is about 25MBps or 25MB/sec, for example.

You just need to setup your router properly according to your environment.
About 100 devices are a lot. Do you have something not connected to your router?
The more devices connected and communicating in the same time, the slower the network.

Not to me, but this is what you can get for the most common client configurations:

There are other configurations, of course, but not very common. Link speed "up to" means "ideal conditions", i.e. close to the router, proper less busy wireless channel, relatively quiet networks around. In real conditions you may not reach maximum link speeds. Your actual throughput is about 1/2 of the link speed. For example, if your client is connected at 433Mbps, you can get about 200Mbps throughput. Don't get confused between MBps and Mbps. 200Mbps throughput is about 25MBps or 25MB/sec, for example.

About 100 devices are a lot. Do you have something not connected to your router?
The more devices connected and communicating in the same time, the slower the network.

Thanks for the info. I just find it strange...this router is set up exactly the same as I had my other router (RT-AC88U), but I'm getting slower speeds. The RT-AC88U had the same amount of devices on it too.
As you say, I'm sure its in my setup. Its just figuring out what is not set up correctly.
In your opinion, is smart connect worth having enabled? This is the first time I'm giving it a go..
Thanks again!

Hello all... I'm sure this has been talked about quite a bit (looking through the forums), but for the life of me, I cant get my upload/downloads on the wireless to work correctly. The main problem is very slow speeds..
I did read I should turn off a few settings (and I did) but it didnt help.

I'm currently running Merlin 384.13_0 on the RT-AX88U, and I'm Running firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81116 by Asus RT-AC88U. My current set up is using the the AX as the main router, and the AC as a AIMesh node.
Connecting to the net work and selecting properties on my card shows I'm getting 144Mps, but I'm upload download speeds are crazy slow.

Original configuration was all defaults. I also tried Smart Connect. I also tried to separate both bands with the same ssid...long story short... I tried a lot of different stuff.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they are configured and what upload/download speeds they are getting?

Thanks in advance!
bazzly,
You can see in some of the discussions, some of us with RT-AX88U found that it works if we fixed the 5GHz Control Channel ... eg. 36. See my 5G 36/80MHz. Suggest don't make too many changes out of context; start with factory reset and just change the following 3 items. If it is not working we can compare other settings. Hope you find a solution :)

Screenshot 2019-11-03 at 8.48.37 PM.png

In your opinion, is smart connect worth having enabled?

Keep it Disabled, assign manually 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, the best ones you can find in your place, use separate SSID for both bands. Use this information to set your Wireless -> Professional section and troubleshoot connection issues:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/townhouse-wifi-coverage-advice.59548/page-2#post-522386

And isolate all those IoT devices on a separate network with no access to your main devices. Many of them phone home and no wonder someone in China knows exactly who you are with a picture of you, when you come home, turn on your lights, activate your power plugs, what room temperature you prefer, etc. You may have family members in another country you don't know about. :)

Hey guys, thanks for the help! Looks like I'm back in business.
Val D. You are right, I do need to place my IoT devices on a different network. Any suggestions on how I could go about that with the Asus?
Maybe I should start a new thread..?
Thanks again guys!!

Hey guys, thanks for the help! Looks like I'm back in business.
Val D. You are right, I do need to place my IoT devices on a different network. Any suggestions on how I could go about that with the Asus?
Maybe I should start a new thread..?
Thanks again guys!!

You could try opening up a Guest network slot and all the Devices connected on that network will be on a separate vlan and separate from your main network for wireless devices.

You could try opening up a Guest network slot and all the Devices connected on that network will be on a separate vlan and separate from your main network for wireless devices.
I was thinking of trying something like that, but then I may run into issues with some of the controlling (wife incompatibilities). I suppose I could use an old phone on the same network to control the IoT items. I think sub netting would be better.

1x1 N client, 2.4GHz, 20MHz channel -> up to 72Mbps
2x2 N client, 2.4GHz, 20MHz channel -> up to 144Mbps

1x1 N client, 5GHz, 40MHz channel -> up to 150Mbps
2x2 N client, 5GHz, 40MHz channel -> up to 300Mbps
3x3 N client, 5GHz, 40MHz channel -> up to 450Mbps

1x1 AC client, 5GHz, 80MHz channel -> up to 433Mbps
2x2 AC client, 5GHz, 80MHz channel -> up to 867Mbps
3x3 AC client, 5GHz, 80MHz channel -> up to 1300Mbps

What does 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 mean in this context?

i.e. 2x2:2 is 2 antennae, 2 streams, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!