What's new

RT-AX88U with GT-AX11000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Radarblip34

New Around Here
Hi All, I’m looking at getting another router to configure with the AIMesh system. I already own the AX88U but the problem is that I live in a long house and the router is in the basement (due to the fact that’s where the fiber modem comes into the house and is situated). Couple that with my garage being at the other end of the property, I have issues with my ring cameras and other devices dropping in and out of 2.4ghz.

I’m wondering how well an AX11000 would do if added to my network? Placing it upstairs at the other end of the house which is closer to the garage. Is there any issue with one being tri band and the other being dual? Would it be better to use one over the other as the main router connected directly to the modem?

I know there are some far more knowledgeable folk on here compared to me, if you have any thoughts, I would really appreciate it! I thank you in advance!

Hi All, I’m looking at getting another router to configure with the AIMesh system. I already own the AX88U but the problem is that I live in a long house and the router is in the basement (due to the fact that’s where the fiber modem comes into the house and is situated). Couple that with my garage being at the other end of the property, I have issues with my ring cameras and other devices dropping in and out of 2.4ghz.

I’m wondering how well an AX11000 would do if added to my network? Placing it upstairs at the other end of the house which is closer to the garage. Is there any issue with one being tri band and the other being dual? Would it be better to use one over the other as the main router connected directly to the modem?

I know there are some far more knowledgeable folk on here compared to me, if you have any thoughts, I would really appreciate it! I thank you in advance!

The better router should be the root node. And it would be a shame to bury it in the basement. Can you drop an Ethernet cable to the modem in the basement and try the AX88U on the main level, ideally from a central location in the house (if only one AP) or otherwise from a media center location? Then decide from there.

OE

The better router should be the root node. And it would be a shame to bury it in the basement. Can you drop an Ethernet cable to the modem in the basement and try the AX88U on the main level, ideally from a central location in the house (if only one AP) or otherwise from a media center location? Then decide from there.

OE
Thanks for your response! I can’t drop a cable down without drilling a bunch of holes which my wife would be having none of ‍♂️

It's not exactly the same but I run AI Mesh with AXE16000 as the root node and the AX88 covers most of my first floor. The house is built with concrete so the walls are solid and signals can be a problem but it works like a charm, I also have an AC5300 upstairs which covers all my bases, pretty much. Between these three routers, I have a strong signal all over the house. I suspect I can just drop my AC5300 and have no issues but then it would just be sitting there doing nothing so might as well put it to some use!

It's not exactly the same but I run AI Mesh with AXE16000 as the root node and the AX88 covers most of my first floor. The house is built with concrete so the walls are solid and signals can be a problem but it works like a charm, I also have an AC5300 upstairs which covers all my bases, pretty much. Between these three routers, I have a strong signal all over the house. I suspect I can just drop my AC5300 and have no issues but then it would just be sitting there doing nothing so might as well put it to some use!
And everything is fine between the axe16000 being tri band? (Or is it quad?) and the ax88u being dual? I wasn’t sure how that would work out. Thanks for the response!

AXE16000 is three bands actually, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz x 2 & 6 GHz. Not a lot of devices are using 6 GHz at the moment but WiFi 6E works well with my S22 Ultra, I usually connect at 2.4 Gbps (not to be confused with GHz :p )

No issues at all. AX88 is WiFi 6 and limited to 5 GHz though you should be able to do over 1 Gbps with a newish flagship phone. These speeds require close proximity (as tested). We are talking the same room here.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!