What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

While that may have been sufficient back in 2017 (the date of the post), things change. :)

The fact that it's ARM based means nothing. It depends on the actual hardware, the IA is irrelevant there.

You referenced the facts for me. :)

Hi,
so whats the final retail price for this in Asian countries that its available? Singapore, China, Taiwan... etc?
I also wonder if I should wait or buy AX11000
AX11000 has its advantage like second full speed 5Ghz band
There are rumors that some Broadcom chip-sets will be able to get updated to support the new WIFi 6E, since they announced very fast availability from the moment of FCC approval, 3 months

There are rumors that some Broadcom chip-sets will be able to get updated to support the new WIFi 6E, since they announced very fast availability from the moment of FCC approval, 3 months

Chipset support is only part of the equation. The router's hardware also has to be designed to support it, which means filters and amplifiers must be able to work with these new frequencies. Therefore never assume that an existing model will eventually gain 6 GHz support, as it might requires hardware changes outside of the SoC itself.

For instance, while the BCM6750 supports the 6 GHz band, that does not mean that the Asus RT-AX58U will automatically gain 6 GHz support in the future.

Chipset support is only part of the equation. The router's hardware also has to be designed to support it, which means filters and amplifiers must be able to work with these new frequencies. Therefore never assume that an existing model will eventually gain 6 GHz support, as it might requires hardware changes outside of the SoC itself.

For instance, while the BCM6750 supports the 6 GHz band, that does not mean that the Asus RT-AX58U will automatically gain 6 GHz support in the future.

Hmm, any chance any of them AX1100 are compatible, like asus, archer
The most important question, people that want to buy router now, should wait for 6E supporting models or its not important for years to come and should buy one now?

Do not bank or bet on what is compatible or not. Just buy based on your needs and your budget today. This is the best you can ever do, everything extra is just gravy. :)

Hmm, any chance any of them AX1100 are compatible, like asus, archer

Only the manufacturers would know, and it's highly unlikely they will share that info ahead of time.

Sadly this router became usless for me and lots of people, the SFP+ port can only be used for 10G connection :(
I considered getting this one, over AX11000, use the SFP for my 1G internet and the other MultiGIG port for my PC

This is getting kinda nuts. What is taking so long? If there releasing it in other territories then it must be good to go.

Will be very very hard almost impossible ... so far there is only 2 ASUS official SKU that is based on Qualcomm IPQ - namely ASUS BRT-AC828 and this ASUS RT-AX89X

A couple of older models N series are Mediatek based CPU and almost all the AC models are Broadcom based.

And only the Blue Cave is Intel based :p

I dont understand. Can someone explain in greater detail why Merlin firmware would not work on a QCA processor? This is a real shame because I love Merlin, and if/when the price drops on this router, I would've loved to grab one of these with Merlin/YazFi

Because implementing a completely different hardware platform would involve months of work, something for which I don't have the time nor the will to do.

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

I’ve contacted Asus France to know the price tag and the release date and they just replied me the router will be available in Europe at the end of Q3 2020 (June). No reply regarding the price.

By the time this thing releases, it will be outdated already. OR Asus has ultra non-competent software engineers who just cannot code a stable working firmware for this device yet. Either way this router is heading towards failure.

it will be outdated already.

What is your definition of "outdated"?

Mine is "something that can no longer properly fulfill its job". The RT-AX89X certainly won't be for many years. A 5 years old RT-AC68U for instance is not outdated.

What is your definition of "outdated"?

Mine is "something that can no longer properly fulfill its job". The RT-AX89X certainly won't be for many years. A 5 years old RT-AC68U for instance is not outdated.
For me, if something supersedes RT-AX89X, then it is outdated.

For me, if something supersedes RT-AX89X, then it is outdated.

Then forget it, there will always be a new product in a lab that will "supersede" what you can buy in a store. The AMD Ryzen 7 3900X is outdated by your own standards because the Zen 3 already exists in AMD's labs.

Bottom-line that is entirely irrelevant. Just buy what is the best product available for your needs at the time you chose to buy it, and stop worrying about what may come to market 6-12 months from now. The product you purchase will work just as well then as it did when you first bought it.

The purpose of buying a product is to fulfill a specific need, not to buy "the latest tech" just for the sake of having the latest.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!