What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then forget it, there will always be a new product in a lab that will "supersede" what you can buy in a store. The AMD Ryzen 7 3900X is outdated by your own standards because the Zen 3 already exists in AMD's labs.

Bottom-line that is entirely irrelevant. Just buy what is the best product available for your needs at the time you chose to buy it, and stop worrying about what may come to market 6-12 months from now. The product you purchase will work just as well then as it did when you first bought it.

The purpose of buying a product is to fulfill a specific need, not to buy "the latest tech" just for the sake of having the latest.
My frustration is more to do with lag between announcement of a product and actual retail availability. I waited 7 months (From it's announcement date) for this thing to release and had to settle for RT-AX88U instead due to urgent needs. Not that AX88U is bugfree. Now I am reading reports that RT-AX89X might even be delayed further by few more months. I am facing consumer burnout with all these paper launches and instability due to software getting more and more complex every passing year.

@sanke1, you just need to read fewer announcements then. :)

When a customer tells me if they can get 'something they read about on the web', I tell them sure, but not through me. I only deal with what is available on shelves. Personally? Sometimes I feel that 'online shopping' is for impulse shoppers with excess funds.

While I like to read and even research/learn about some of the things coming down the pipe, I don't base any decisions today or the next year on that. ;)

@sanke1, you just need to read fewer announcements then. :)

When a customer tells me if they can get 'something they read about on the web', I tell them sure, but not through me. I only deal with what is available on shelves. Personally? Sometimes I feel that 'online shopping' is for impulse shoppers with excess funds.

While I like to read and even research/learn about some of the things coming down the pipe, I don't base any decisions today or the next year on that. ;)
Haha very true.

My frustration is more to do with lag between announcement of a product and actual retail availability.

The product is available, just not in every markets yet. That often indicates a production volume issue.

When the RT-N66U was first released, it took another 2 or 3 months for it to come in stock in Canada - it was only available in the US. It had nothing to do with firmware stability, purely a matter of the distribution network getting filled with inventory.

Personally, I prefer early product announcements, as it gives people time to review them, analyze their needs, plan a potential purchase, etc... Having something announced today and available tomorrow tends to lead to impulsive purchases, which you might very well regret a few days later. People would fail then to properly study the announced products before making a decision.

Also keep in mind many announcements are made during special events like CES or Computex. To plan production/launch to occur at the same time as these events would be next to impossible.

Are we better off waiting for WiFi 6E?

How many 6E capable devices do you currently own? There's always something newer on the horizon... The RT-AX89X happens to look like a pretty solid upgrade from my AC88U, benefiting several AX-capable devices I do actually have in use. However, the lack of Asuswrt-Merlin support is what has me balking at the moment.

Are we better off waiting for WiFi 6E?
Depends on what you want.

My advice is always to not buy at the top of the market, especially draft-standard products. The upsides are limited and you spend a lot of money to be a beta tester.

Manufacturers will push as hard to get 6GHz routers and smartphones to market as they did with AX. 6 GHz opens up a lot more channels, where you don't have to worry about getting knocked off channel by radar as you do with DFS. Otherwise it's the same as AX.

This will make 5 GHz 160 MHz channels more practical, if that's what you value most.

I personally going to wait for 6E, not long ago I got a 86U that it's performing excellent with my AC devices, even my AX phone it's performing excellent with my 86U.

I'm going to wait for a solid 6E on the same form factor than the 86U for my next upgrade.

I just showed a pic of the AX89X to my wife. She's already seen the AX88U and a Netgear RAX80 (garbage) in the house so she's used to seeing wacky looking routers.
Her response: "Does it come in white?" which is tacit approval to go ahead and get it. Really on the fence about giving up Merlin, but man that thing is a beast of a router.

I just showed a pic of the AX89X to my wife. She's already seen the AX88U and a Netgear RAX80 (garbage) in the house so she's used to seeing wacky looking routers.
Her response: "Does it come in white?" which is tacit approval to go ahead and get it. Really on the fence about giving up Merlin, but man that thing is a beast of a router.
Why not wait for Wave 2 Wifi 6E routers with 6Ghz support? AX89X is outdated already with broadcom announcing 6E chip. I bet Maylyn and Merlin have their hands on next model already.

Because if the rollout of AX devices is any indicator won’t see any 6E routers until 2nd quarter of 2021 or later. Besides I have two AX-88Us that I’ll sell that will almost cover the cost of a 89X.

Because if the rollout of AX devices is any indicator won’t see any 6E routers until 2nd quarter of 2021 or later. Besides I have two AX-88Us that I’ll sell that will almost cover the cost of a 89X.
Assuming that FCC approves the frequency use (they haven't yet), you can expect US availability in time for the holiday selling season.
EU availability won't be until first half 2021.

If you want AX, there are plenty of other less expensive four stream products available. If you want to pay top money for a router, then wait for 6E.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!