What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As said in the "firmware 3.0.0.4.386.22790" discussion, I have this router for a month now without any issue.

Maybe hardware revision B1 (I got) improved its reliability, as for instance fan in "auto" mode is not always at full speed (as reported here).

As said in the "firmware 3.0.0.4.386.22790" discussion, I have this router for a month now without any issue.

Maybe hardware revision B1 (I got) improved its reliability, as for instance fan in "auto" mode is not always at full speed (as reported here).
So I recently picked up an AX89X (hardware revision A1, Dec 2020) and while it's been working great speed-wise for the past few days, I'm wondering about the fan noise. Mine seems to make a buzzing noise at all speeds (except off), which is audible in a quiet room. I've got plenty of other devices with fans that don't make as loud/as annoying of a noise (e.g. my Synology NAS right next to it).

Is anyone else's AX89X fan buzzy, or did I get a dud?

I'm considering getting the revision A1. They have 6 at my local Micro Center. I miss my 10 gig. Also concerned about the fan noise.

Hmm, just grabbed one at MC and it’s a rev A2. Anybody know the differences between the various revisions?

When I get hone, I’ll compare it to the revision I had that went bad.

Last edited:
Hmm, just grabbed one at MC and it’s a rev A2. Anybody know the differences between the various revisions?

When I get hone, I’ll compare it to the revision I had that went bad.
I was just at the Dallas MC as well with that exact question. I have an A1 that has been buggy, drops 5Ghz frequently, weaker range than the old AC88u it was meant to replace, despite putting in new thermal grizzly pads and sitting it on fans. I have the warranty and was considering swapping my A1 89X for an A2 while waiting for my AXE11000 to come in.

Based on my googling it would seem that in past ASUS routers A1< A2 < B1 and that if there exists a B1 HW revision it should be newer (better?) than the A2 which should be newer than A1. But maybe that doesn't apply to the AX89X?

Thanks for that info. My old one that went bad (it has the endless reboot issue) was an A1 so I am going to open this and give it a try. Someone earlier in the thread has the B1 so I was hoping for that. Might’ve passed you in the parking lot, by the way. I was just at the Dallas location.

Update: RT-AX89X revision A2 is operating great. It came with the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_22790) so I am thinking it has to have been manufactured very recently (only says "2020" on the label) and hopefully A2 includes the hardware fix for what happened to my A1 unit.

By the way, the Auto fan setting is running the fan on Low and the unit is staying cool. I tried Medium and High and I can't hear any difference in fan noise.

Is anyone using an 10G SPF+ to RJ45 copper transceiver? Mine is getting uncomfortably hot and I'm concerned.

EDIT: I think there's something wrong with the transceiver I have. Never buy the cheapest one from Amazon.

Last edited:
Update: RT-AX89X revision A2 is operating great. It came with the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_22790) so I am thinking it has to have been manufactured very recently (only says "2020" on the label) and hopefully A2 includes the hardware fix for what happened to my A1 unit.

By the way, the Auto fan setting is running the fan on Low and the unit is staying cool. I tried Medium and High and I can't hear any difference in fan noise.

Is anyone using an 10G SPF+ to RJ45 copper transceiver? Mine is getting uncomfortably hot and I'm concerned.

EDIT: I think there's something wrong with the transceiver I have. Never buy the cheapest one from Amazon.
On my way now to get the A2. Thanks for the update!

Don’t have this particular router but 10Gbe RJ45 to SFP+ modules get very hot it’s normal, can be too hot to touch.

The 10GTek and Wiitek ones if I recall are a little better than rest of the pack power/heat and performance wise. Mikrotik and HiFiber ones would be the among hottest ones I believe.

Last edited:
Hello I have one bought 2 months ago in amazon spain (the first units sold in spain) and have hardware version B1 and manufactured date: 2020
It works fine and only have a problem with the lestsencrypt certificate

I have a ticket with asus because not works the letsencrypt.
The solution is install a new version of firmware:
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/3575735F246F47DA991582839A54AF864

anyone test this version yet: RT-AX89X_9.0.0.4_386_23012 ?

Last edited:
Don’t have this particular router but 10Gbe RJ45 to SFP+ modules get very hot it’s normal, can be too hot to touch.

The 10GTek and Wiitek ones if I recall are a little better than rest of the pack power/heat and performance wise. Mikrotik and HiFiber ones would be the among hottest ones I believe.
I ordered the Wiitek to try. Amazon is running behind due to the weather we had last week here in Texas so it won't arrive until Saturday.

Hello I have one bought 2 months ago in amazon spain (the first units sold in spain) and have hardware version B1 and manufactured date: 2020
It works fine and only have a problem with the lestsencrypt certificate

I have a ticket with asus because not works the letsencrypt.
The solution is install a new version of firmware:
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/3575735F246F47DA991582839A54AF864

anyone test this version yet: RT-AX89X_9.0.0.4_386_23012 ?
I may give it a shot as I would love to use Let's Encrypt. I'm starting to think the B1 revision is also a non-US version. I hope A2 is as problem-free at B1 appears to be.

One disappointment I have is my GT-AX11000 has VPN Fusion but the RT-AX89X does not. I was really looking forward to trying it out.

I may give it a shot as I would love to use Let's Encrypt. I'm starting to think the B1 revision is also a non-US version. I hope A2 is as problem-free at B1 appears to be.
i will tray it in some hours, when i finish my workday and can reboot the net in home :)
The onlye thing is strange; the asus support tell me to install this version and tell me to make a reset of settings. i dont know it is mandatory or only preventive

i will tray it in some hours, when i finish my workday and can reboot the net in home :)
The onlye thing is strange; the asus support tell me to install this version and tell me to make a reset of settings. i dont know it is mandatory or only preventive
That's common for them. It's best to re-setup everything from scratch after clearing settings to defaults. Can be a pain, though, depending on how much custom configuration you have done.

That's common for them. It's best to re-setup everything from scratch after clearing settings to defaults. Can be a pain, though, depending on how much custom configuration you have done.
re-setup is a big kick in my balls! :p
I try a dirt update and tell you the results :)

installe and letsencrypt workd. dirty update. the openvpn server not conect the clients . but sometimes happend and need more time. i will tell you as soon as posible

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!