What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I tried another transceiver and it also gets redhot and the SPF+ port does not work correctly. I can't communicate to my servers. Works fine on the RJ45 10g port. I'm starting to think it is the router's SFP+ port and trying this router again was a mistake.

So I just tried a DAC connection from the SFP+ port to a nearby computer, and the port on the router is definitely fubar. While I was able to connect and get an IP, during the speed test, the download rate was good but the upload rate was almost nothing. I'm going to return the router to MC.

So I just tried a DAC connection from the SFP+ port to a nearby computer, and the port on the router is definitely fubar. While I was able to connect and get an IP, during the speed test, the download rate was good but the upload rate was almost nothing. I'm going to return the router to MC.

Unless Asus provides a list of compatible GPON modules that will work on the SPF+ this will just be a guessing game that will lead to frustration.

hi
I just got an AX89x and i am unable to connect at more than 1200 mbps with my 2 laptops.
I readed in the dongknowhow review that he had to disable the Extended NSS setting for the 2400 Mbps to work. But mine is already disabled.
Any idea of what i should do ?
160 MHz is enabled, i am into 20/40/80/160mhz mode, smartconnect is disabled
I have 22790 fmw, AX200 modules with last intel drivers.
thanks

Last edited:
Unless Asus provides a list of compatible GPON modules that will work on the SPF+ this will just be a guessing game that will lead to frustration.
Agreed. Aside from reviews, there is very little information on the router itself, much less compatible GPON modules. I did my purchases of them based on reviews. ALL OF THEM said they tend to get hot; some of them there were fewer to many fewer reports of them getting hot. Additionally, the DAC takes the transceiver completely out of the equation since it is a Direct Attach Cable. When even that did not work correctly, that is when I got to the decision to return the router.

New firmware released (seems to be the "beta" one discussed before) :

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/RT-AX89X/HelpDesk_BIOS/
yes, they release as stable but is very interesting because the oficial is:
Versión 3.0.0.4.386.23012

and my version (beta than asus provides to me) is:
Versión 9.0.0.4.386.23012

mine is "9" not "3" jeje.
i must pay atention to upgrade manually and maybe they not allow to me to upgrade because my version is 9 and not 3.
this will be a future problem i think

othe problem for me in this router is only allowed 64 static ip address for the DHCP, and not allow merlin to encrease to 128.
This is the more powerfull asus router and only allows 64. :-(

Finally you arrived, I was waiting for you a lot ... :'):eek:

IMG-20210307-111728.jpg

IMG-20210307-111938.jpg

ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.23012 broke IPTV for me.
Looks like ICMP Snooping is disabled, When that happens I get the usual 10 sec of TV then image freeze issue.
Back to 3.0.0.4.386_22790

Last edited:
Rt-ax89x rev. B1 firmware 23012, I report that you cannot wirelessly connect with Xbox series X when using a DFS channel on the 5ghz band. No problem with channels 36-48

The one highlighted with the arrows should not be there

dfs1.png

Last edited:
I had my 89 for two weeks and just started having problems with ntp not syncing and the network map showing the wan port as disconnected, it was after I went in and started trying to get dual wan working (but I turned it back off). I tried downgrading to my previous version but still had the problems, the only thing that fixed it was wiping the settings and then selectively re-applying changes line-by-line from a saved backup (which I diffed against a save from a wiped router to find the differences). Mostly I just restored the static entries and the vanity device names from the config and did everything else via the GUI.

So it is back to working, when I mess with it today to try to get dual wan running I'll backup the config each time and analyze what changed line-by-line if it breaks.

I think I'd be careful with vanity device names containing non[A-Za-z0-9_-] characters, I had one entry in the filtering section that looked like it was improperly formatted (which is difficult to tell given how crazy the format is already), in particular it had a ? in the vanity device name which seemed to break entry. So to be safe in future I'm going to restrict myself in naming devices.

I use this kind in the link below and it works great for me. Also most sfp+ ports an transceivers run hot. Normally doesn't effect performance. But as an added precaution. I bought a small usb fan and placed it over top where the sfp+ port is.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SNK1MY/?tag=snbforums-20

Also this one works as well. But I prefer the mikrotik.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KFBFL16/?tag=snbforums-20
I agree they all get hot. However, the heat I was experiencing seemed way over the line. All that heat radiating into the body of the router can't be good for it. And you shouldn't have to put an external fan on it.

I agree they all get hot. However, the heat I was experiencing seemed way over the line. All that heat radiating into the body of the router can't be good for it. And you shouldn't have to put an external fan on it.

I'm just guessing, but maybe the router draws 10W, so adding another 3W should still be within it's safety margin. The fan on mine seems to be vastly overpowered even on low. Maybe I'd be worried if there were electrolytic caps next to the SFP slot, but otherwise it is probably OK. I wouldn't be surprised if the SFP itself was spec'd up to 100C.

I'm just guessing, but maybe the router draws 10W, so adding another 3W should still be within it's safety margin. The fan on mine seems to be vastly overpowered even on low. Maybe I'd be worried if there were electrolytic caps next to the SFP slot, but otherwise it is probably OK. I wouldn't be surprised if the SFP itself was spec'd up to 100C.
On other devices I have seen with SFP+ and/or sets of combo ports, there is some distance around the SFP+, presumably to allow for heat dissipation. With the RX-89X the two 10GbE ports are right next to each other. The SFP+ port with an adapter in use heats up the router tremendously radiating from that point. I'd be surprised if the fan even reaches down there. Heat kills. Just my opinion.

Welcome to ASUS RT-AX89X family soon :p :D Long overdue :confused:

3Xa9jz3.png
Hi Maylyn, was wondering if you've heard anything about a Wifi 6E successor to the RT-AX89X? I was considering the current Wifi 6 model to go with my 10Gbps plan but think it might be a bit of a step back since I'm already using GT-AXE11000s for my AiMesh setup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!