What's new

RT-N18U firmware too old to be upgraded?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teletaubi

New Around Here
Hi,
I'm fighting a battle here, trying to update my RT-N18U firmware (3.0.0.4.374_4983) to the latest (3.0.0.4_382_52288) found. Auto update did not succeed, I could connect and check for updates, but the router responded with error "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates." Obviously the internet connection is there, but is seems the firmware is so old it might even have a deprecated asus web site listed to download from.

Using the search I found some useful information, but still could not succeed.

Next I downloaded the latest version from asus and tried the manual upgrade. All seemed ok, it kept going till 100%, no errors reported, but when it finished, it just went to the basic screen and the firmware version did not change, even after logoff and reboot.
I presumed the gap between the versions is too big, so I downloaded the oldest available from asus (3.0.0.4_382_50470), tried it again with the same (no) result.

It would seem the only thing left to me is to try to enter rescue mode and try to upgrade using this process. But, as I'm working from home and am totally dependent on my little router, before I try some crazy stunt, I prefer to check.
Is upgrading in rescue mode truly the only way? Or is there any archive of older firmware versions I could download an intermediate version like 378ish to try the manual upgrade this way again? I'm worried I could break my router or spend the entire day trying to recover it...

Also, I did the backup of the settings, but read somewhere importing them back with new firmware might not be the best thing to do, as some might interfere with the new firmware settings. Is it better to remember them (take screenshots) and set them up again manually (the relevant ones) if a factory reset is needed?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Teletaubi

Hi,
I'm fighting a battle here, trying to update my RT-N18U firmware (3.0.0.4.374_4983) to the latest (3.0.0.4_382_52288) found. Auto update did not succeed, I could connect and check for updates, but the router responded with error "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates." Obviously the internet connection is there, but is seems the firmware is so old it might even have a deprecated asus web site listed to download from.

Using the search I found some useful information, but still could not succeed.

Next I downloaded the latest version from asus and tried the manual upgrade. All seemed ok, it kept going till 100%, no errors reported, but when it finished, it just went to the basic screen and the firmware version did not change, even after logoff and reboot.
I presumed the gap between the versions is too big, so I downloaded the oldest available from asus (3.0.0.4_382_50470), tried it again with the same (no) result.

It would seem the only thing left to me is to try to enter rescue mode and try to upgrade using this process. But, as I'm working from home and am totally dependent on my little router, before I try some crazy stunt, I prefer to check.
Is upgrading in rescue mode truly the only way? Or is there any archive of older firmware versions I could download an intermediate version like 378ish to try the manual upgrade this way again? I'm worried I could break my router or spend the entire day trying to recover it...

Also, I did the backup of the settings, but read somewhere importing them back with new firmware might not be the best thing to do, as some might interfere with the new firmware settings. Is it better to remember them (take screenshots) and set them up again manually (the relevant ones) if a factory reset is needed?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Teletaubi
You might try John's Fork of Merlin as it is also based on the 374 firmware. Also, it may need to have the suffix (after the dot) changed to download and work...something to try anyhow. Not sure if the 18 is supported but it might work with some features missing...at least it is recently updated. Also, clear out all the old configuration and start from scratch with only the stuff you absolutely require as the new firmware may not like the old config.