What's new

RT N56U with power led blinking and unable to flash firmware and ping router interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Newbie0001

New Around Here
Hello,

My RTN56U has been working perfectly for about 3 years. I, recently, did a reboot from the web interface and the router did not come back up.

Upon inspecting the router, I saw that the power LED blinks slowly which made me think that it's stuck in rescue mode.

I tried rebooting it again and it still went back to the slow blinking power LED.

Thinking that the issue may be an opportunity to upgrade to the latest firmware, I did the typical reset button + power on.

When trying to flash the firmware, the utility kept indicating after 30 seconds with a message "The wireless router is not in rescue mode". This continued for a few hours.

I started reading up some threads on snb and also tried the 30-30-30 method as well as using the wps method.

I finally reached a point where I tried to check if I am able to ping the router interface (192.168.1.1). To my surprise, I wasn't able to do so. To say the obvious, I'm connecting with the LAN port of the router that is hooked into a LAN port of a laptop. The laptop is configured with a static IP in the same subnet. The cable is fine as I am able to use the same cable for other purposes. I have also tried and stopped windows firewall/defender. I have also tried doing it via tftp without luck.

Any suggestions on what I could do would be useful. I have a feeling that the router has a hardware issue given the inability to ping the interface.

Thank you

It seems that is problem with autonegotiation of 1000/100 mbit networks. Set the router to recovery mode, next connect to the computer as described on ASUS web pages (network computer port address 192.168.1.2/24 or DHCP), disable the computer wi-fi, reboot the computer still connected to the router using cable, al least, after reboot, start the ASUS firmware recovery utility again, select the proper firmware file and start upload...

Last edited: