What's new

RT-N66 or RT-AC-68 to replace RT-N16

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Two weeks ago I called Rogers to cancel my Ultimate 150/10 250GB service to switch to Teksavvy's Cable 150 service. But Rogers kept me by upgrading me to their new 250/20 1TB service and giving me a discount for 12 months. But the problem is that they give you a Hitron CGN3 gateway (the only one that works for these higher speeds as you need a 24x8 modem) that crashes every 24-48 hours, at least it does in bridge mode. This piece of hardware is a total fracking disaster, which they (Rogers) are finally beginning to realize.

But while it is up the 250/20 speeds are totally awesome - I get speedtest results of about 325/22. And the 1TB cap is pretty much the same as no cap for me - Teksavvy charges a lot for uncapped 150/10 service.

Good deal, however be wary about what will happen once those 12 months are gone.

Bell also offers pretty sweet deals if you go through retention, but you have to fight tooth and nails every 6 months for them to renew it. And then fight again to fix the billing errors.

I never looked in detail at their specs, but wouldn't a Thomson DCM475 or DCM476 allow the required number of bound channels? I wonder what Vidéotron is using for their 200+ Mbps service in Quebec city...

Teksavvy charging so much for those high speed tiers is all the CRTC's fault. Rogers submitted insanely high prices on traffic charges for resellers, and the CRTC swallowed it all. Right now the independent ISPs are filing complains back to the CRTC asking to have these tariffs reviewed once again...

I realize that Teksavvy is being screwed by Rogers - they also never seem to be able to offer the highest tier of speeds that Rogers does, again because the CRTC doesn't have the balls to make Rogers play fair.

My deal is $125.99 plus $12.99 modem rental with 20% off for a year. When that is up I will revisit switching to Teksavvy, but then the problem can be Rogers dragging their feet when you have probs with the last mile when you are a Teksavvy cable internet customer .

Although there may be some other modems fast enough it is hard to get Rogers to provision them on their network. Word on another forum is that Rogers has now acknowledged the problem and is working with Hitron to fix it. Shaw also appears to be offering 250Mbps service - apparently they are using a Cisco device. SMC has just introduced a 24x8 device.

There may be little practical diff between 250/20 and 150/10 but it sure is fast - when it is working that is. But the 1TB cap has more value.