What's new

RT-N66U, another beta firmware: 3.0.0.3_155

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is what I noticed: Network Neighborhood works now, you can change the IP of the router again, the VPN still has the buggy error dmesg message, miniupnp still restarts a lot, too many messages of DHCP in dmesg, cannot change the admin account, and DDNS still does not work for me; and I have not a clue as to why.

Hello,

I have just upgraded by N66U firmware from .151 to .155. So far so good except that I cannot activate the AiCloud (i.e., cannot switch on the functions as per attached screen dump). Do anyone face the similar problem?

Thanks.
Edward

Attachments

• aicloud.jpg
    aicloud.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Guest Networking

Guest network is finally working in AP mode however they have access to my Intranet as well. :(

Example: My friend can use his iphone to AirPlay, when connected to guest, to my networked apple tv.

Last edited:
At that moment I am using 112 version. Do I really need to upgrade to 155 or 151? Stock firmware version 112 working without any issues, more than 1 month uptime so far.
Will I get the same stability and performance + new features?

richto Your expectations are not realistic. 3.0.0.155 is very beta firmware. We are basically stealing this version off a Asus Russian website. Asus did not release this to the public. This is incomplete and still under development. They will release the Apps when they release the firmware. I feel fortunate just to get a hold of it and try it out.

Define 'steal'.

Define 'steal'.

Taking something without permission. Asus did not offer this up as a beta test to the public. Asus just applied bad security on there Russian FTP server and end users found it. So it it is stealing but Asus does not seem to care. It's actual a good way to beta test while disavowing any responsibility if something goes wrong. Asus can always say they did not release for public use.

How about us? ... The consumer.

We are offered a WONDERFUL product with all its advertising, promotion even reviews and we buy the product trusting that the product is what they promised it to be.

After we buy it we realize that this is in reality NOT QUITE TRUE and we have to spend hours on end either returning the product, tweaking the product, searching endlessly for some FIX for the product to get it to perform like they promised it would.

Is this not stealing from us?

How about us? ... The consumer.

We are offered a WONDERFUL product with all its advertising, promotion even reviews and we buy the product trusting that the product is what they promised it to be.

After we buy it we realize that this is in reality NOT QUITE TRUE and we have to spend hours on end either returning the product, tweaking the product, searching endlessly for some FIX for the product to get it to perform like they promised it would.

Is this not stealing from us?

Hi Riussma! No that is not stealing. Asus product does work as intended and they are working on the problems. As a wireless router I have found the RT-N66U to be very solid unit with most the problems lying with the extra features. Your description could apply to just about any software or hardware product available. Does Windows XP, VISTA, Windows 7 or Mac OSX work perfectly as indented when released? NO! Every month there are updates from the manufactures to fix bugs and improve security. Microsoft releases its New OS as the next greatest thing but we know there will be bug fixes for years to come. How many times have you gotten a new computer that takes months to work out all the annoying bugs(Bios and software updates). Asus new firmware is less than a year old and I think they have been responsive to fixing and improving the software. I think what I was saying is that some people were complaining about Asus software not work correctly that we were never suppose to have. Unfortunately software by its very nature is a buggy affair. Its not intentionally designed to annoy you and I'm sure Asus would also love it if there firmware worked perfectly the first time so they did not have to pour continuing resources into it. As it is Asus routers are good products and they stand behind them.

Taking something without permission. Asus did not offer this up as a beta test to the public. Asus just applied bad security on there Russian FTP server and end users found it. So it it is stealing but Asus does not seem to care. It's actual a good way to beta test while disavowing any responsibility if something goes wrong. Asus can always say they did not release for public use.

But we are not taking anything. Copying is not stealing. EVER. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

Sounds like you have listened to the FUD spread by the recording industry...

Not sure if this is firmware releated (currently using .155) or a hardware issue w/ the N66U, but the 5Ghz WiFi range is HORRIBLE. When I'm right next to my N66U it connects perfectly.....but as soon as I go to a different room (about 20 feet away), the connection drops and it says that I'm "out of range" on my device. WTF!

Is this a known issue with 5Ghz connection and is there any sort of fix for this?

Not sure if this is firmware releated (currently using .155) or a hardware issue w/ the N66U, but the 5Ghz WiFi range is HORRIBLE. When I'm right next to my N66U it connects perfectly.....but as soon as I go to a different room (about 20 feet away), the connection drops and it says that I'm "out of range" on my device. WTF!

Is this a known issue with 5Ghz connection and is there any sort of fix for this?

5 GHz has shorter range than 2.4 GHz, but it shouldn't be anywhere to that bad. Try resetting to factory defaults, and if it still fails, you might want to contact their tech support, or RMA your router.

Have you ever used the 5 GHz radio on that computer with a different router? Could also be an issue with the computer.

Try installing inSSIDer, it will help you monitor signal strenghts and possible interferences.

5 GHz has shorter range than 2.4 GHz, but it shouldn't be anywhere to that bad. Try resetting to factory defaults, and if it still fails, you might want to contact their tech support, or RMA your router.

Have you ever used the 5 GHz radio on that computer with a different router? Could also be an issue with the computer.

Try installing inSSIDer, it will help you monitor signal strenghts and possible interferences.

Does inSSIDer show the 5 GHz graph even if nothing is on or using that frequency? On my laptop it shows no broadcast of anything in the 5 GHz tab even with my 5 GHz band enabled.

Does inSSIDer show the 5 GHz graph even if nothing is on or using that frequency? On my laptop it shows no broadcast of anything in the 5 GHz tab even with my 5 GHz band enabled.

It should at the very least show your own router, unless for some reason it doesn't support your network card. Works fine for me with a Centrino 6230 interface.

Have you ever used the 5 GHz radio on that computer with a different router? Could also be an issue with the computer

I'm using it on my HTC Rezound Android smartphone - not on a computer (if that makes a difference).

When I scan WiFi on my phone, my 5Ghz SSID shows up and connects fine - but as previously described with terrible range.

Kbp, make sure your network interface actually supports 5 GHz (I read too quickly and assumed you were the same person asking me about 5 GHz range, sorry)

Poseidon: Install Wifi Analyzer from Google Play and see what your signal looks like on the 5 GHz band. I currently get -30 dB on my Motorola Xoom while in the same room, and -50 dB in the next room.