What's new

RT N66U Client list bug?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There was a previous thread where I mentioned having problems with the client list. At that time, there was mention of a bug with statically-defined IP addresses with host names containing exactly 15 characters.

I have always had problems with the client list. My setup is a little bit out of the ordinary though. My RT-AC66U is the main router which serves up IP addresses - some static, some dynamic. My Linksys E3000 (running Tomato) connects to the RT-AC66U as a (as Tomato calls it) "Wireless Ethernet Bridge" with DHCP disabled.

Sometimes my devices will connect to the RT-AC66U directly, in which case the device shows up in the client list with it's IP address and the device's MAC address (i.e., correct). Other times it will connect through the E3000, which shows up in the client list with either a) the correct IP address and the E3000's MAC address, or 2) the device's MAC address and the static IP address of the E3000, or 3) both IP and MAC address are correct (rare).

There was a previous thread where I mentioned having problems with the client list. At that time, there was mention of a bug with statically-defined IP addresses with host names containing exactly 15 characters.

That specific issue was fixed however:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/15d506fa06243dfb2dcf60d5c56145746e1bc52b

I have always had problems with the client list. My setup is a little bit out of the ordinary though. My RT-AC66U is the main router which serves up IP addresses - some static, some dynamic. My Linksys E3000 (running Tomato) connects to the RT-AC66U as a (as Tomato calls it) "Wireless Ethernet Bridge" with DHCP disabled.

Networkmap has always been quirky. When I started on this project, I fixed various buffer overflow issues in the code. I can't help but feel that the whole networkmap design is unnecessarily complicated for what it's supposed to achieve.

@highwire I think it's a function of how the wifi to Ethernet bridge mode works in Tomato & DD-WRT, and perhaps other f/ws. I've been running DD-WRT bridges on a Linksys e2000 & e3000 with a number of different APs for a few years (currently N66). If you search on those firmware's forums or guides on how to setup the bridge they mention lack of bridged device MAC pass through as seemingly an unavoidable caveat. My understanding is that MACs would flow through using WDS, but the encryption is limited to WEP and I believe it might be restricted to 802.11g, whatever it was there was a serious performance downside.

The DD-WRT style bridges are imperfect but at least allow WPA2 and 802.11n. It depends on what tool you use to scan your network, here's a side by side w/ Fing & iNet Scan for iOS. You can see on the left Fing has a +2 & a +3 by my bridges (192.168.1.2&3) to signify that there are multiple active IP addresses within those items (if I click them I can drill down and see them). Fing doesn't show those items individually in its listing of all my IP addresses active though. The MACs Fing does show on my bridges are the 5ghz wifi radio MACs on those bridges.

On the right, iNet scan does actually break out stuff behind the bridges and list it by IP (such as the AppleTV and one of the TiVos), but you'll also notice that MAC addresses aren't visible for those items.

I can ping items behind bridges all day by their IP & it works fine, also, many of my bridged items that happen to make extensive use of Bonjour/zero-config which seems to have no problem working it's magic without MACs. Theoretically the switches ports of the bridges know what physical MAC is being plugged into them and routes it accordingly, but truth be told it could also be multi-casting to all of those ports what it receives on wifi and I don't know if I'd be able to tell because the top speed that traffic gets sent to any one bridges device is less than 90 Mb/s or so (even in best case, based on how I use them in my setup).

From the router's perspective, it tends to see the bridge's MAC but has confusion over aligning that with an IP, and also the friendly name I have that IP in the static assignment. It might take a stab at it, but it usually will mix up the bridge MAC w/ the IP of something behind it, even if that IP isn't the one assigned to the bridge. It (the router) doesn't know any better.

FWIW I assign everything static IPs in my main router (for my own segregation and ID purposes), and also have STP on all APs & bridges, though not positive I actually need it. I have no set routes setup and nothing fancy on the DD-WRT end. One thing I'm curious of would be to get IPV6 functioning on my bridges since I've got it working everywhere else, curious if that would allow better transparency. But as configured, it has worked with rock like stability for quite some time, all devices see each other, and my bridged devices all have very strong, consistent connections.

I just work under the knowledge that completely "normal" behind bridge visibility with friendly device name, IP, and MAC isn't a possibility at this time, at least not based on what the DD-WRT community is saying. But for me, it works great and way better than any alternative. And I can do more helpful diagnosis of current network config & problems from mobile apps, more often than not, than from the router UI (for this and any router I've owned.

And I also have a small 5 port hardwired switch to another media area, and peculiar things happen in the client list on the router to those devices but I think it's because it has one TiVo on 24-7 and 3 other devices that actually will take an IP on the rare occasions (once or twice weekly) that they need it (bluray player, smart tv, etc). But they are in max Eco power saving mode which seems to twilight them pretty hard when not in active use, vs PCs that might still maintain a little traffic over the LAN when asleep.

Last edited:
@RMerlin

new logfile sent via PM

so in my test
with networkmap-mips running at boot
same issues 1 client not displaying in list

so next to test the timing issue
I insert sleep 10 before calling networkmap-mips
and it works just fine on boot

Networkmap has always been quirky. When I started on this project, I fixed various buffer overflow issues in the code. I can't help but feel that the whole networkmap design is unnecessarily complicated for what it's supposed to achieve.

Perhaps a simplified, reliable solution can be implemented in the next release.... :D

Perhaps a simplified, reliable solution can be implemented in the next release.... :D

Sure, are you volunteering to develop it? :)

I know old thread but just to point out this issue affected me also.

Basically in my case, I swapped out a 2nd router been used as a switch in my living room (dhcp etc. disabled on it), and I had allocated a new ip the router I put in place, so hit the refresh button as it wasnt showing, and it just span and span forever with no devices showing up. I did the kill networkmap trick and restarted it then devices started appearing quickly, although it was running in the foreground and still not working quite right. After a router reboot things seem ok again.

The networkmap is more than just cosmetic as it provides the devices pre configured in configuration pages for things like QoS and port forwarding setup.

I know old thread but just to point out this issue affected me also.

Basically in my case, I swapped out a 2nd router been used as a switch in my living room (dhcp etc. disabled on it), and I had allocated a new ip the router I put in place, so hit the refresh button as it wasnt showing, and it just span and span forever with no devices showing up. I did the kill networkmap trick and restarted it then devices started appearing quickly, although it was running in the foreground and still not working quite right. After a router reboot things seem ok again.

The networkmap is more than just cosmetic as it provides the devices pre configured in configuration pages for things like QoS and port forwarding setup.

Asus has been making a lot of changes to the whole networkmap system these past 3-4 months, so it's currently highly volatile.

I know this is an old thread, but ever since updating to stock fw on rt-n66u 3.0.0.4.378_9313-g53ab20f my router will not bring up the client list for more than a second or two, then it immediately logs me out, making the client list and re-naming completely impossible to use. This is on firefox, edge, or chrome on win 10. Anyone else?

Hi I think I have a similar issue - I set a DHCP to an IP for my syabas PopcornHour A110 NMT with the name PopcornHour but it always shows up as "Syabas Technology (Amquest)" in the Network Map, regardless of whether I reboot the PC or not. Not life threatening, just a wee bit annoying as the IP it assigns is correct and all other 16 odd devices behave and keep the name I give them, at least in the map. Apologies if this is rather simplistic.

Ta
k

Hi I think I have a similar issue - I set a DHCP to an IP for my syabas PopcornHour A110 NMT with the name PopcornHour but it always shows up as "Syabas Technology (Amquest)" in the Network Map, regardless of whether I reboot the PC or not. Not life threatening, just a wee bit annoying as the IP it assigns is correct and all other 16 odd devices behave and keep the name I give them, at least in the map. Apologies if this is rather simplistic.

Ta
k

Does a reboot of the router solve it?

Nope. But I changed the name form, the Network Map Screen and that seems to have fixed it anyway.

k.

Sorry to bring up an old thread here, but I'm having the same problem (on an RT-AC87U).

I have two of these routers, one in Wireless Router mode, the other in AP mode. Any device that connects through the AP doesn't show up in the network list on the primary router.

I have a really bad internet connection, so I want to set up some QoS to prioritise certain devices and/or find out who is hammering the bandwidth at a given time, but I can't do that because those devices don't show up under the Adaptive QoS section.

I've made a video to run through the setup, hopefully this helps in explaining the issue:

It used to work in an older ASUS Firmware, but it doesn't work in the latest ASUS firmware, nor Merlin's. Both routers have just been factory reset, and still, no dice. Clearly ASUS has done something to stop this from working, which is a shame because it used to be really useful.

I've had a lot of problems with these routers and the stock ASUS Firmware, so I'm looking forward to running Merlin. Thanks for all your work on this!

Last edited:
I am having this exact issue on 380.62
- No Network Map after clicking view list
- No Parental Control or apply button to turn it off
- My OpenVPN client though shows all my devices

I am also having this issue under 380.62 (tried 380.62.1 but it did not solve it):

- no list of clients on the Network Map page (or after clickling View List)
- all my manually-assigned IP addressed disappeared from the LAN page

I just came across this after upgrading to 380.63.
I found that it was browser related...
I use waterfox, then went to edge which worked fine. So I started waterfox in safe mode and it worked and has continued to work with the addins enabled.

I am also having this issue under 380.62 (tried 380.62.1 but it did not solve it):

- no list of clients on the Network Map page (or after clickling View List)
- all my manually-assigned IP addressed disappeared from the LAN page

I was able to resolve the issues by doing a power off/power on instead of a reboot. Must be something with the power off that clears the cache/memory that does not get done as part of a reboot. Hope that works for you.

I had the same issue with client list been gone. Though in ssh session I can see all the clients connection just fine.
It turns out to be browser issue of some kind. After cleaning cache my Firefox started displaying client list.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!