What's new

Rt-n66u constantly drops connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Riadon

New Around Here
I am using the Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 firmware, although the issue exists on every firmware that I have tried, this seems the most usable. My modem is a Comtrend Ar-5381u. My old router was a Linksys WRT610N, which occassionally dropped connection, but nowhere near as frequently as my n66u. I use DSL unfortunately as nothing else is available in my area. It was fairly stable on my WRT610N, if not incredibly fast.

My problem is that, every 1-5 minutes (or longer if I am very lucky), my internet will drop for about 30 seconds before becoming reusable. When I drop, I am most commonly redirected to this page:

http://i4.minus.com/ignWxoqAAdNFY.jpg

I have checked, and the cable connecting my rt-n66u to the ar-5381u is CAT5e. However, the cable connecting the n66u to my computer is simply CAT5. Could this cause problems? I have tried switching the two cables, but there wasn't much of a change.

Whenever my internet connection is up, I am unable to access the n66u through 192.168.1.1 I instead receive the message "A username and password are being requested by http://192.168.1.1. The site says: "Broadband Router." If I turn the modem off, I am never shown this message, so I am 99% sure that the modem produces it. I never had this issue with my WRT610N.

I am assuming that this means that my ar-5381u (which can also be used as a router) is interfering with my n66u. However, my ISP set up the modem so I am unable to log in as I do not know the username and password.

Are there any settings that I can utilize that would make the two more compatible until I am able to contact my ISP? Nothing that I have done has produced much change.

Strangely, my connection is perfect on my Windows 8 laptop, but everything else is sporadic. All of my devices have dual-band wireless adapters that should be compatible.

My old router was a Linksys WRT610N, which occassionally dropped connection, but nowhere near as frequently as my n66u. I use DSL unfortunately as nothing else is available in my area.

I have checked, and the cable connecting my rt-n66u to the ar-5381u is CAT5e. However, the cable connecting the n66u to my computer is simply CAT5. Could this cause problems? I have tried switching the two cables, but there wasn't much of a change.
Hi,

The Asus RT-N66U is very sensitive to cabeling: All cables connected to the router have to be at least CAT5e or (even better) CAT6! :eek:

I had similare disconnects, which vanished completly after I replaced all calbles with CAT6! :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Hi,

The Asus RT-N66U is very sensitive to cabeling: All cables connected to the router have to be at least CAT5e or (even better) CAT6! :eek:

I had similare disconnects, which vanished completly after I replaced all calbles with CAT6! :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

I have heard similarly, but would this explain all of my issues, including being unable to log in to 192.168.1.1 while my modem is turned on? That doesn't really seem like a cable issue to me.

I have heard similarly, but would this explain all of my issues, including being unable to log in to 192.168.1.1 while my modem is turned on? That doesn't really seem like a cable issue to me.

That would probably be that the Comtrend Ar-5381u defaults to 192.168.1.1, same as your router. I'm guessing your asus router is just grabbing an IP from the DSL modem/router, and spreading IP's internally via DHCP.

I'd login to the Ar-5381u and set it to bridge mode. That way, your asus router, would do the authentication (dialing) when you set up the WAN in PPOE mode.

(http://www.router-defaults.com/Router/Comtrend--Ar-5381U-ip-password-username)

or maybe:

username: admin
password: user12345

I've done this a lot with places that I need to use AT&T DSL instead of Charter cable, thank gosh for Charter cable...

Your DSL modem would not respond to 192.168.1.1 because it would be behind the asus router, (same IP) as it will resolve to the asus router, not the DSL modem then, if that makes sense. To get to your modem, you'd have to hook it directly to a PC and go to 192.168.1.1.

The router will tell you then if you drop wan connection, as the DSL modem will just be providing the connection (not authentication). I have seen lots of DSL line issues though, that cause drops, and are hard to diagnose unless the ISP catches them in the act.

Good Luck!