What's new

RT-N66U firmware 3.0.0.4.374.720 released

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Another one, with the last post in mind:
Are there differences in how to "reset memory" with either one of the 3 methods:
  1. Hard reset, pushing the reset button over 5 seconds, wait for the power LED to flash in slow pace.
  2. GUI reset: Administration>Restore/Save/Upload>Factory default-Restore.
  3. Telnet clear NVRAM: mtd-erase -d nvram
Does one or the other leave some settings, parameters or pointers unchanged?

I did the hard reset (option 1) after the upgrade from 270 to 374_720, entered the settings manual again, and am quite happy.

I asked the same question in another thread, but I didn't get a definitive answer. When I upgraded, I used option 2 and had all kinds of problems with 2.4Ghz devices. Could that make a difference?

I asked the same question in another thread, but I didn't get a definitive answer. When I upgraded, I used option 2 and had all kinds of problems with 2.4Ghz devices. Could that make a difference?

I did the auto firmware upgrade to 3.0.0.4.374.720 from the settings menu. After the firmware completed updating and the router was completely finished rebooting and working I did the hard button reset for 5-10 seconds (I actually held the button down two times) and the router did finally reset. It does wipe out all your settings. I don't believe restoring saved settings is recommended after this update and reset. Manually write them down and then input them manually after the reset. If you haven't done this I would recommend you try it.

I haven't had any problems with the new firmware on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Contrary to what some have reported I have found the new .374 firmware seems to connect better for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same range and it holds it's connections. The throughput seems better for both the same amount of signal and weaker signal strength than before. So far I have been very happy with the results. I ended up upgrading all three of my RT-N66Us.

I am using the dual WAN feature on one of the routers. Cable (WAN port) is the main line and DSL (LAN port 1) is selected for fail over. After testing the feature by purposely disconnecting the main cable WAN connection it automatically connects to the DSL. It seems to work fairly well. It seemed to stay connected to the secondary WAN connection even after the main connection was restored. I would like to see extra options added to the dual WAN settings that allow you to customize how long (in minutes and hours) before the router reverts back to the main internet WAN connection once that main connection is restored.

Last edited:
... When going from 33 beta 3b back to 33 beta 1, I went straight back and I forgot to do my normal nvram reset. Anyway, when I went straight from 33 beta 3b back to 33 beta 1 and rebooted, I noticed that the signal strength on beta 1 was bad (10 dBM down). How could this be when beta 1 is SDK5?

I then did the nvram reset on beta 1 and set it up again: boom... back up to normal signal strength and the tx power was working...

Well, i moved staight back to 33 beta 1 without a need to do a nvram reset. Just uploaded the old config file and signal strength was back to normal.

Another one, with the last post in mind:
Are there differences in how to "reset memory" with either one of the 3 methods:
  1. Hard reset, pushing the reset button over 5 seconds, wait for the power LED to flash in slow pace.
  2. GUI reset: Administration>Restore/Save/Upload>Factory default-Restore.
  3. Telnet clear NVRAM: mtd-erase -d nvram
Does one or the other leave some settings, parameters or pointers unchanged?

I did the hard reset (option 1) after the upgrade from 270 to 374_720, entered the settings manual again, and am quite happy.

I always do a hard reset.

Some news from Asus on the SDK6 range issue: they are looking into it.

I did the auto firmware upgrade to 3.0.0.4.374.720 from the settings menu. After the firmware completed updating and the router was completely finished rebooting and working I did the hard button reset for 5-10 seconds (I actually held the button down two times) and the router did finally reset. It does wipe out all your settings. I don't believe restoring saved settings is recommended after this update and reset. Manually write them down and then input them manually after the reset. If you haven't done this I would recommend you try it.

I didn't restore my saved settings. I redid everything by hand. The only difference is that I chose the reset option in the GUI instead of holding down the reset button. When I went back to 276 I did hold down the reset button and redid everything by hand.

Slow download from windows share

Hi,

I'm running merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 Beta 5 and have an issue with slow download from windows shares over wifi. Upload from wireless clients is fine, over 20MB/s.

Download over my 50/50 fibre connection is also unproblematic, with speeds of 5.8MB/s in both directions.

The download is so slow that services like rdp is almost unusable. Wired transfers over GbE is as they should be. I've tested with both broadcom-based and intel wifi cards.

I've tried Beta 3 too, and Asus' 720. Is this a problem with the new wireless driver or just my setup?

Update: Flashed back to 3.0.0.4_270.26b and everything seems to work fine. Speeds on 5GHz of 29 MB/sek:) I think I'll wait for the full, debugged, version.

Last edited:
Any news if Asus is going to release another firmware to fix the issue with the wireless range and throughput?

RT-N66U reboot issue

I just upgraded to 3.0.0.4.374.720 and this was the first firmware version which makes my RT-N66U ver.B1 enter a forever resetting loop. Now I am running 3.0.0.4.374.33 (Merlin Build) - same issue.

I did the NVRAM reset before and after, unzipped the file and everything else, so please don't ask if I flashed it ok. Everything is working for a day or two and afterwards it crashes. Sometimes out of the blue, but most of the times when I connect from the WAN side and change something.

I am using quite a lot of options, including VPN connection. I had a connection with it today via ddns asuscomm.com - https on port 8463, but didn't modify any settings, just checked clients list. Don't know if this is the cause, but previously I have tried using ftp with 2 x 1.5 Tb Samsung Story Station hard drives connected to it and enable DLNA server and FTP server on them and no matter the firmware - sometimes it loses the USB connection or it keeps showing the hdd as "unmounted". I just bought a separate NAS (Zyxel NSA310) just to ease the load on the router, because I thought this was the cause of the resetting cycle.

I don't know what number was the original firmware I had when I bought the router, but can anyone point me to an older (STABLE) firmware download site?

I just want to revert back to the much older version and see if I get the same problems. Oldest version on Asus website (3.0.0.4.276) doesn't work either. Since I upgraded the original firmware version (which number I was so "clever" not to look at) I keep having problems with my RT-N66U. Please help! Thank you!

I did the NVRAM reset before and after, unzipped the file and everything else, so please don't ask if I flashed it ok. Everything is working for a day or two and afterwards it crashes. Sometimes out of the blue, but most of the times when I connect from the WAN side and change something.
Hi,

First of all you should open another thread for this as it's not only realted the specifc version of the firmware as discussed here.

There are only a few situations where Linux (remember your router firmware is based on Linux) goes into panic mode, which could result in reboot.
The first (and main) reason is an out of memory situation!

Did you already consider to setup a swap file and to monitor the usage of the swap file in conjunction with the reboots (or then not reboots)? :rolleyes:

With kind regareds
Joe :cool:

Any news if Asus is going to release another firmware to fix the issue with the wireless range and throughput?

They said they were looking into it. So they probably will, it will just take some time. This kind of issue takes time to resolve AND test, so give them a few weeks.

I just upgraded to 3.0.0.4.374.720 and this was the first firmware version which makes my RT-N66U ver.B1 enter a forever resetting loop. Now I am running 3.0.0.4.374.33 (Merlin Build) - same issue.

I agree w/ @joegreat and would say start a new thread, don't try to trick your router by using HTTPS by way of dynamic subdomain redirect, and try the features you are using one at a time, shake down for stability and performance, then slowly stack them on top of each other (testing for stability & performance with each combination of features along the way) to help isolate what's going on. Very difficult to untangle all at once, on any firmware.